Author Topic: Introduction (please read this first)  (Read 44176 times)

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
Re: Introduction (please read this first)
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 01:47:22 PM »
@Jennifer M

Welcome to the lessons Jennifer - it is great to have you on board.

The guidelines are just that - it doesn't matter where you get them from or whether you print or draw them :-) It is perfectly acceptable to use the ones you already have. The Rhodia paper will work too.

I am a bit impatient by nature but even I can appreciate the meditative aspect of drawing guidelines. I don't know why or how but I find my work to be better on guidelines I have drawn compared to printed ones. Rulers like these make drawing guidelines very easy: www.paperinkarts.com/cthrul.html. I have one that I cut at 8"  for smaller work and another full sized one for larger work.

The only important thing about the guidelines is that the x-height should be on the larger side. Mine are drawn at 1/4". This is to make it easier to see the details of the various strokes. The dashed lines are not important - you will know which line is the 1st one above the waist line when writing so no worries there.

I will be looking forward to your work.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline [email protected]

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »
@SMK  Thank you for the welcome!

Also, thank you for the reminder that guidelines are guidelines.   I waffle between being a strict rule follower and the development my own personal style based on knowing the rules. 

I love the idea of cutting down the ruler.  I would've never thought of that one- I must remember to think outside of my box more often.  Genius!!!

I'll post as soon as I'm able. Kids + stomach bug = not as much time for practice as I would like.

-Jennifer

Offline Sally Ellington

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »
Hello, I am Sally. I live near Atlanta, Georgia. I have been reading through your lessons. Thank you so much for the time you have invested in them, and for your kindness to help others learn this beautiful hand. When I get brave, I will post my work.  :D

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 10:36:29 PM »
@Sally Ellington

Hi Sally - I am glad to know the lessons are useful. You are very welcome to participate at the earliest stage. I know it can be a bit scary to put your work 'out there' but there really is no point in struggling by yourself - most people are just paying attention to their own work anyway :-)

I will be here whenever you join in.

- Salman

Offline yeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 12:01:57 AM »
Hi all!

My name is Yee and I currently live in Honolulu, Hawaii. I've only just discovered calligraphy this year (March) and through playing around with brush calligraphy and pointed pen have discovered that I really gravitate towards pointed pen and would like to learn more and hone my skills.  I'm so happy to have found this forum and these lessons. I look forward to starting lesson 1.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »
@yeepers

Welcome to the forum and the Copperplate lessons Yee. I will be looking forward to seeing your Calligraphy.

Regards,
Salman

Offline MariaCe

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 10:22:55 PM »
Hello Salman and all talented calligraphers in the forum.

I am Maria Cecilia from California, I have been practicing copperplate/engrosser script for over a couples years and stopped due to baby and sleepless nights.
I am taking this incredible opportunity to following your lessons, get my practice some structure and get back to the fundamentals of the script.

I am looking forward to posting some of my practice for lesson 1.

Thanks again for your time and making this possible.

Cheers,
Maria Ce

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2017, 12:12:07 AM »
@MariaCe

Welcome to the lessons Maria.

I am running a bit behind on the feedback cycle but will catch up soon. Please feel free to post your work for critique whenever you are ready. I will  get to it at the earliest opportunity.

Regards,
Salman

Offline Foxmorepatty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
Hello Salman,

My name is Patty and I just joined the Forum.  I have been learning Copperplate since early September.  I took some private lessons here in Houston from a lefty teacher (I was lucky to find one here, and I also took the online class by LogosCalligraphy recently.  I have a long way to go.  Next month I will address envelopes for my son’s wedding, which I think I will be able to fake well enough😜. Meanwhile, I am eager to take the opportunity to follow your program here and gleen what I can and improve.  A bit of a mess, you will see.  My instructor, Pat, is more old school.  She likes and uses a handmade 1:1:1 guideline, whereas, Logos uses 3:2:3 and I kind of like in between!  Anyway, I am using Rhodia grid paper most of the time.  My sister-in-law lives in Hamilton, so I do get up your way once in awhile.  It seems there is a very active calligraphy community in Toronto!  I would love to come and take some in person classes sometime.  Well, off to my first drills.  I will try not to be too heavy handed!  Have a great holiday!

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2017, 05:26:37 PM »
@Foxmorepatty

Welcome to FF and the lessons Patty.

Toronto is indeed quite active Calligraphy wise. Our monthly meet-ups are getting bigger and bigger and the guild also meets regularly every month. It will be great to meet you if you get a chance to be in (or near) town.

The proportions are not really that important. The essence of the script is in the way the various strokes join up to make letters and words. It is more about pen control than muscle memory IMO. One should be able to write at different sizes and in different proportions once the script is mastered. The main reason for insisting on a particular style or guidelines is just to have a baseline to work from.

I use a hybrid guideline that is neither 3:2:3 nor 1:1:1 - but that is only for these lessons just so the instructions make sense. Your skill should be directly applicable to any other system you fancy.

I will be looking forward to your exercise.

Regards,
Salman

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 06:06:58 AM »
Hi Salman,

I am Diane from the UK.  I have been learning copperplate for about a month with a book by Eleanor Winters.  I came across your tutorial a couple of weeks ago and have been reading your post daily and practicing too.  I have looked at lots of different websites and books, and find your explanations easier to follow, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in on your tutorial and will post my first attempts later.

Regards

Diane

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »
@Diane Bennett

Welcome Diane. I am so glad to know you find my instructions useful.

I have already posted a reply to your first exercise :-)

- Salman

Offline GretchenC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2018, 09:58:17 AM »
Hello Salman,

Erica pointed me to your tutorials and I look forward to starting.  I've been working on Copperplate via the EW book and the Zanerian manual (online) for a whole 3 days now.    ;D     I recently found a post of yours discussing holding the pen with the forefinger more straight.  I tried that yesterday and found it really helped with trying to develop a lighter hand, thank you! :)

I have a whole army of nibs already, trying out just about any that have been recommended for Copperplate.   I like the Brause 66EF, and also the Zebra G.    I am planning to try Nikko G today, and re-visit Hunt 22.    I love Moonpalace Sumi ink, and also Blot's Iron Gall.    The McCaffery's seemed runny to me (after using Sumi) but I have tried again and it is growing on me.  :)

I look forward to learning.  I must admit I am ZERO in the 'artistic ability' category.  If you asked me to draw anything more than a stick figure, you would find me crying in a corner.   ::)   But I LOVE calligraphy and 20+ years ago, I used a broad nib kit to do our wedding invitations.  I know I can tackle the challenges of Copperplate, it is so pleasing to the eye.    Just know that my brain is very analytical and I ask a lot of silly detail questions not to criticize, but to try to learn.   I know art does not always have the answers my brain wants, and I'm ok with that.  :)

Best,
Gretchen

Offline JAHT

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »
Hi Salman, my name is Jewel, I live in Grenada. It's is almost impossible to get calligraphy supplies of any sort, so I have to get them online which takes a while. In the mean time, I have a few Zebra G nibs, which seem to dig into the paper after using them for a few days. Maybe I press down too hard..
Thank you very much for providing these tutorials.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2018, 11:27:36 PM »
@JAHT

Hi Jewel,

Do the nibs start catching on the upstroke? There should be zero (and that means absolutely zero) pressure on the pen on the upstroke. You are pressing too hard if you can feel the paper under your nib.

Zebra G nibs last quite a while. How many pages of writing do you think you go through before they start to catch? Also, which paper do you use? Any nib will last longer on smoother paper.

I was in the same situation when I started learning Copperplate. I used to live in Dubai at the time where Calligraphy supplies were hard to come by. That is where I started carving oblique holders for myself :-)

- Salman