Author Topic: Fountain Pen Recommendation  (Read 6410 times)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fountain Pen Recommendation
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »
... any opinions on the Lamy Joy calligraphy pens ?

It's a long, thin Safari which uses the same nibs.  If you get on with the AL-star you could simply buy some Italic nibs, but if the Joy's form factor appeals it'll be fine.

I'm assuming that you're thinking about edged pen calligraphy rather than anything which requires a flexible nib?  The big limiting factor with fountain pens of all sorts is the ink, which has to be thin enough to flow through the feed.  This tends to lead to some undesirable behaviour, like back runs and bleeding on indifferently sized paper.  They're highly convenient though.  There's quite a bit to be said for cheaper fountain pens for edged pen work, because the nibs will almost certainly be untipped so you can sharpen them easily.  @Ken Fraser has often praised the Manuscript range - they're inexpensive and the range of nibs is wide, including scroll versions for fancy work.

Offline Sid the Cat

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
I’ve mostly collected vintage pens, and I’ve just gotten a Wahl Doric back from the shop. It’s got a medium Adjustable nib that I’m finding very compatable with my handwriting, which is highly influenced by Secretary Hand.
Mabie Todds and Watermans also have lovely medium and broad nibs and are worth seeking out.

Offline Greenman

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 07:42:57 AM »
I have a somewhat overlapping selection of fountain pens useful for broad edge calligraphy, including:
Lamy, Kaweco, Pilot Parallel, Franklin Christoph w/music nib.

Definitely recommend as essentials the Lamys because of their slightly rounded edged nibs for ease of use and the Pilot Parallels for their large nibs and versatility.

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 07:00:00 AM »
I have a red ring artpen, and was very happy with it at first, but I was really glad I switched to dip pens. I still use it occasionally, but sometimes ink spurts out.

The most obvious advantage of dip pens, is the cost. For less than an Artpen, I can buy ten nibs and a holder. This is important because nib width determines size of the letters.

Second, changing colors is much easier with a dip pen. You just wipe off your nib, and dip in a new color. You could also have two different nibs the same size, in two different holders, if you keep switching back and forth between colors. With a fountain pen, you either have to deal with a converter or cartridge.  With a cartridge,  once opened, they don't really close. There are also some standard sizes, but some brands use different ones.

I haven't used a converter, but I understand you can, return the excess ink to the jar, which must be nice.

Third, and most important,  I find that hairlines are much easier with a dip pen. Maybe it has to do with the ink I used, but my fountain pen rarely left enough ink to drag.