Author Topic: Vertical Writing  (Read 2426 times)

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
Vertical Writing
« on: September 14, 2017, 10:13:23 AM »
I was going through some new acquisitions and tried out a Gillott 1046 Vertigraph pen. It was quite nice. Looking it up I confirmed my suspicion, it was Gillott's entry into the Vertical Writing fad that hit the US in the late 1880's. (most big pen companies at the time had a "Vertical Writer" in their stable somewhere)

This led me to this interesting article on why Britain made a change to vertical writing.

thought some of you might find it interesting.

https://expattutor.wordpress.com/2011/07/09/why-britain-made-a-change-to-vertical-handwriting/

Andrew
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vertical Writing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 01:02:05 PM »
@AAAndrew That's a fascinating article!  I have found that my doing so much calligraphy has caused me to slant my "normal" handwriting to about 52 degrees.  I recently had to hire a handwriting expert for a holographic will dispute & she was very interested in my "normal" handwriting.  I used to have beautiful handwriting, but studying Copperplate & now Spencerian has basically destroyed it & I have to sit & think sometimes about how to make a capital "T", for instance.  I guess we can't "have it all"!  ;D

Janis

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 02:49:19 PM »
@AAAndrew That's a fascinating article!  I have found that my doing so much calligraphy has caused me to slant my "normal" handwriting to about 52 degrees.  I recently had to hire a handwriting expert for a holographic will dispute & she was very interested in my "normal" handwriting.  I used to have beautiful handwriting, but studying Copperplate & now Spencerian has basically destroyed it & I have to sit & think sometimes about how to make a capital "T", for instance.  I guess we can't "have it all"!  ;D

Janis
@JanisTX
Congrats to our newest superhero.
What's your superpower?

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 05:08:58 PM »
Veeerry interesting. Thanks Andrew for posting.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 06:28:18 PM »
@AnasaziWrites Oh, wow, Mike!  I hadn't noticed!  Will I be issued a Super Power soon?  'Cause I really want one! Can I request a specific Super Power?  I'd like the @schin one, so that I can write like her!    8)

Janis

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:45:08 AM »
@AnasaziWrites Oh, wow, Mike!  I hadn't noticed!  Will I be issued a Super Power soon?  'Cause I really want one! Can I request a specific Super Power?  I'd like the @schin one, so that I can write like her!    8)

Janis
Uh, @JanisTX that's not exactly how it works. You have to bring a superpower to the table, as it were, and note:  none shall pass into the Hall of Justice without a shubbery.
I'm not sure what sort of inducement you could give @schin to share her superflourishing power.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »
@AnasaziWrites Sometimes, when I first wake up, my hair resembles "shrubbery".  I think that counts!  And, I go into the Hall of Justice almost every day, as that's where the courtrooms are.  I think that I have all of this covered!  Except for the Super Power.  I'm counting on @schin;D

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
Well.. Ni I say! Supreme flourishing power is derived from a mandate of the practice, not from some farcical judicial hall ceremony..
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 09:31:32 PM »
Well.. Ni I say! Supreme flourishing power is derived from a mandate of the practice, not from some farcical judicial hall ceremony..

And the Russian Judge gives her a 10, for a perfect score! ;D
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/