Author Topic: Spencerian Penmanship Practice Book: The Declaration of Independence  (Read 4330 times)

Offline June P

• View Profile
Spencerian Penmanship Practice Book: The Declaration of Independence: Example Sentences with Workbook Pages by Harvest Crittenden

https://www.amazon.com/Spencerian-Penmanship-Practice-Book-Independence/dp/161243679X

Publication date 05/16/2017

I will be on the waiting list for this!
See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand! Galatians 6:11

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Spencerian Penmanship Practice Book: The Declaration of Independence
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:31:09 PM »
Interesting- thanks for sharing!  I hope that there's a "See inside" option when it comes out. :D

Also interesting is their script choice for the front of a book on Spencerian.  I wonder if that's a temporary cover.

Offline June P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 07:29:17 AM »
Yes, I am curious too, book won't be published for 5 months, so may be another cover. But I am sure Harvest Crittenden has put together something that will be a wonderful study/practice.

From Overview...
"And this book rightfully reflects the script's origin by using the text from the greatest of American documents: The Declaration of Independence."
See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand! Galatians 6:11

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 08:47:31 AM »

Also interesting is their script choice for the front of a book on Spencerian.  I wonder if that's a temporary cover.
It's an interesting choice of material from which to pull example sentences to copy. The D of I was, obviously, not written in Spencerian, predating its introduction by Spencer by 70 years or so. It's written in copperplate, as the cover to this book suggests. I'm all for encouraging people to read the D of I, though, by any means, as so many of America's youth receive scant instruction in the history of this country. In any case, Harvest is a wonderful teacher and I'll certainly buy a copy when it comes out.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 10:00:11 AM »
Yes, I thought it was an odd choice since it pre-dates P R Spencer by a quarter century - but it's certainly an improvement on the third rate doggerel and motivational claptrap like "Fine writing fits people for promotion" or "Nothing is impossible to a willing mind" which litter the contemporary literature.  It's a good idea, and I hope it sells like hot cakes.

Offline June P

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »
More from Amazon web page description...
"This all new book offers over 100 pages of example sentences written by Harvest Crittenden, America's foremost expert on the Spencerian script."

To me, sounds like she is using the Declaration of Independence text and has written in her own Spencerian script and the book is in workbook format.

Offline bleair

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Does anyone have this book? Does it have nice examples?

Amazon shows it as out of print, so I think I missed out.