Author Topic: Ink Academy's IndieGoGo campaign  (Read 9083 times)

Offline Myles Ink Calligraphy

• View Profile
    • Myles Ink
Ink Academy's IndieGoGo campaign
« on: April 28, 2017, 02:32:05 AM »
Ink Academy launched announced themselves as a new school of penmanship through Indiegogo's crowdfunding.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/creating-the-ink-academy--2#/

I think a new wind is blowing to our calligraphic community. The internet, especially the younger platforms, such as Instagram and Snapchat, are spreading the art to many different audiences. Could this be a major revival of the art of calligraphy? I surely think so.

I am not associated with Ink Academy or IndieGoGo whatsoever, I just thought it would be a nice thing to discuss because we have a new powerful member that can spread calligraphy. But I do wish that Ink Academy fulfill their purpose of reviving calligraphy.
To miss a mark is to sin.
Et Hoc Transibit
Write on!

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ink Academy's IndieGoGo campaign
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 04:47:31 AM »
Good grief: you'd think that calligraphy was teetering on the brink of extinction, judging by the messianic tone of this press release, and that no other educational bodies existed.  I'm well aware that I'm in the minority on this, but such puffery simply cannot go unchallenged.  Especially here, since the Flourish Forum is the first port of call for so many aspirant pen people.

Offline brandonC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 11:45:17 AM »
The concept is intriguing.  There's some big names abroad.  It'd be convient to a university type structure to learning all the different areas of calligraghy as opposed to seeking info on certain areas through books, videos, online classes, and seminars with no real outline of how that should be done.  At least none that I've found. 

I'm interested in how many thousands of dollars this program would cost a student for something that is basically online courses with well known names.   A high cost would definitely make it debatable if it's worth it or not.

Offline brandonC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »
Dang it. Sorry for the typos.  Guess using my phone to post while eating lunch isn't the best idea.  ;D

Offline Brush My Fennec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 02:35:43 PM »
Lots of photographs of the people involved, and very little of their calligraphy. Grandiose titles (It seems like everyone involved is a "Grand High Panjadrum Of Penmanship" or something) and claims. I think it's more about image and marketing this "Ink Academy" as a money making venture than promoting calligraphy.

The funding is "flexible" so whether it meets any of its goals they get however much money there is.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:22:13 PM by Brush My Fennec »

Offline suzietwig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
hi Andy,

By the "press release" do you mean the little video we made, yes? (https://vimeo.com/21456877)

Perhaps to the eyes of some I'm coming across a little toooo passionate — in that case, you are SO right. I'm just that kind of person who has to do something with all my heart or I can't do it at all. :) In order to build up something this complex, this wide-reaching that's the way I need to be or it wouldn't be worth my breath, you know? I'm literally casting aside my company of 15 years for this. That's how much I believe in it. We've worked sooooo freaking hard on thoughtfully building this program over this past year — and we are SUCH a tiny team. Tiny but mighty :). It's a dream come true that we finally have the whole structure in place, standards, programs, future plans for 5, 10 years even! It finally time---we now are ready to DO THIS, and are seeking a funding bump to make things unroll faster, as we can't do it alone. (As Emma Thompson, playing a shrink in the slightly cheeky movie "Burnt" said, "You can't go it alone. There's strength in needing others, not weakness")

That we can make an online school with the world's upper slices of talent and teaching skills, and included video one-on-one sessions with their students all over the globe is one beautiful aspect of the internet connecting us all. So many of us who live in large cities forget that those in remote cities, states, countries are often without any formal instruction. They may not have the means to travel to regular workshops. They may not have a local guild. They may have a baby at home, disabled or be too shy to go out. It is for these beings that we are creating this school.

I have to confess I'm a HUGE sucker for visual beauty. HUGE. And epic movie soundtracks. I'm hopeless in this regard. And I couldn't imagine making our promotional video anything less than dreamy. Maybe it doesn't come across that way, but maybe try to watch it again in my shoes. In my shoes I'm so in love with those people who love what they do and do it as if it is the air they breathe. And for them, and for me, I had to make this as worthy as any romantic movie. Because I'm totally enamored by what they do, what I aspire to do one day, and the beauty that I wish to give to all that attend our school—whether in person at a workshop or while they are taking our classes.

The first set of courses we are developing will be in the vein of the Zanerian/Penmanship. Michael Sull has really developed an amazing, standardized outlined program with all the learning materials for the certification students---it's going to be the first of its kind with a full curriculum of classes, standardized for everyone since the Zanerian College days. And folks will have to not only have to take each class within the certification courses, but also PASS each one of them with flying colors or they won't be able to advance to the next lesson. Quality standards will be high, but if we don't carry that out then we're wasting our time, right?

I get that this school and its approach won't be interesting to some people. There are no one-size-fits-all, right? It's that kind of diversity is what makes this world so interesting and gifs us with options for all of our tastes.  But to those who love an academic approach, this will be just their bag. There will be a LOT of work for each student who wishes to obtain any level of certification of a single hand or the full Penmanship program.

I do hope you will give us a chance once you actually see the programs we're developing. What we are doing is sincere, well-thought out and aimed at making a complete and thorough curriculum of a huge variety of hand, taught authentically, by teachers who have dedicated the greater part of their adult lives to learning the hands they instruct. It's a project that already has had so much love and care poured into it. And we promise to continue to do that all along the way. I'm here if you wish to ask anything at all. Thanks, Andy.

all my warmest wishes,
suzie*

Good grief: you'd think that calligraphy was teetering on the brink of extinction, judging by the messianic tone of this press release, and that no other educational bodies existed.  I'm well aware that I'm in the minority on this, but such puffery simply cannot go unchallenged.  Especially here, since the Flourish Forum is the first port of call for so many aspirant pen people.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:30:20 PM by suzietwig »
cheers, suzie*
graphic designer, boss lady, aspiring calligraphiste, photog
twig & fig luxury invitations   |  instagram

Offline suzietwig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 06:56:58 PM »
hi Brandon,

Thanks for your encouraging words about this being interesting and intriguing! We hope to continue that ;)

Currently our most expensive course-- starting in the fall 2017---is a 12-24 month course. It consists of 25 individual classes online, with a homework assignment that must be perfected before advancing. It's about $2800, and includes 25 one-hour private mentorships with Michael Sull (one between each class, 1/2 hour for correcting work, 1/2 hour face to face video meeting). It's REALLY important to us that this option be there--because this is what will make our program extra meaningful. You'll always have your mentor at your side. No impersonal email exchanges. We truly want to come as close as we can to making this intimate—private lessons anywhere in the world.

Also, it'll be so cool, as we have 4 cameras on the instructor at all times when we shoot the lessons. So you can be the butterfly overhead watching the teacher's movement just below, the mouse on the paper in front of the pen, a parrot on the teacher's shoulder and the observant student at the front of the desk. (How's that for an image :) haha  This will help SOO much to have all the angles—even more so that literally being in the room with your teacher in a live class!

We haven't figured out the costs of the single hand proficiency programs yet---we still have so many numbers to crunch. But we'll get there, soon. I promise!! We're in this for the LOVE of it, no to make calligraphers poor. Our aim is to empower them with the best and cleanest skills, and also offer business, marketing and presentation skills classes, too. Most of us are introverts and we need this kind of nudge to sell ourselves a little better.  :)

I hope this helps clarify a bit! Do let me know if you have any questions along the way!!

The concept is intriguing.  There's some big names abroad.  It'd be convient to a university type structure to learning all the different areas of calligraghy as opposed to seeking info on certain areas through books, videos, online classes, and seminars with no real outline of how that should be done.  At least none that I've found. 

I'm interested in how many thousands of dollars this program would cost a student for something that is basically online courses with well known names.   A high cost would definitely make it debatable if it's worth it or not.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:54:37 PM by suzietwig »
cheers, suzie*

Offline suzietwig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 08:04:48 PM »
hi Fennec,

I love fennec foxes!! My favorite!!

Although your statement is way more interesting than mine—our instructors hold just one of two rather basic two titles. "Master Penman/woman" and "Professor of Calligraphy". Here in the US, IAMPETH is one of the largest US organizations of Calligraphy, and "Master Penman/woman" is their standard designation for calligraphers who complete their advance certification program---it's been in existence for decades now. So we only used these basic titles they all earned through their professional work. And Giovanni is a professor of calligraphy at a University, so that's his title.

If you could only look at the state of my bank account you'll know this definitely (definitely!) is not an endeavor of money Making (LOL, but painfully serious!!). So far, its a LOT of money Spending, and at that, money that I borrowed with every limb and digit crossed for dear life. This project means SO much to me, you can't imagine.

Barbara Calzolari was my very first teacher and her passion touched my soul and my dedication to practice. Michael Sull is my hero---in the way he has selflessly dedicated his whole life to preserving the legacy of Spencerian Script. Pat Blair has been behind nearly EVERY invitation issued from the US State Department of the White House — and has been tireless doing so for over a decade. From experience, I admire how she is deeply kind, gentle and humble teacher.  Giovanni de Faccio has passionately and taught broad edge calligraphy and typography for over 30 years in both his native Italy and currently in Austria. and is so very skilled in broad edge. He blows my mind. and Tom Kemp elegantly loves creating large, brush Trajan letters that are so enticing.

This beautiful Faculty of ours inspire me to no end---as they are not only very humble and dedicated people — but they are in no way show-offs that seek the spotlight. Each one has so much to give and is so generous as a person. They are tireless in their devotion to keeping the lineage of mentor-student calligraphy instruction vital, and the care with which they teach every student in a class, going around and helping each soul.

There is a plethora of instruction by well-meaning, but unprepared instructors right now, fleeting 4 hour calligraphy workshops leaving you hungry for more, thin YouTube videos— all well-intended but with very little substance. These give us no options for deeper understanding of perfecting angles, variation on letter forms, nib pressure, technique, alternate methods, body posture, page composition, visual balance, grace, elegance. Having your own mentor guide you along a very long path of learning is a thing to treasure in life, and one that is so rare to come across these days. This won't be just video classes---it's that with ongoing private sessions so you are sure to have a full and well-rounded education. We're bringing back the old mentor/apprentice in a very modern way.

Our courses will not be exorbitant, but they will be priced on a simple model of paying the instructor a fair wage, and keeping the school healthy for long-term survival. The profit is here: the joy of forming ongoing human connections while deepening a calligrapher's skills, helping people find their creative side, helping professionals learn more about themselves and even help them market themselves. Offering REAL tools. And with time, teaching them things like engraving, tattooing, sign painting--ways to find a commercial outlet to support themselves.

It is through Ink.Academy that we are aiming to reconnect people and bring back an old-fashioned teacher-student world. And hopefully there's something we can all relate to within that.

Yes, and the flexible is REALLY important. No matter how much we gain from this it will be benefit all of our students, as we'll be able to roll out new courses that much sooner. Filming and editing any given calligraphy lesson we will offer — each with 4 unique camera angles is no inexpensive endeavor. I've dedicated (and am risking) everything I have to do this right or not do it at all. I believe that those of us who love art, visuals and beauty thrive best when we are inspired, respected and surrounded by care and love. So let's carpe diem!! :)  <3

Hope this helps demystify the presentation a bit. We're not creating Smoke and Mirrors here---just pure Heart and Soul.

big hugs,
suzie*

Lots of photographs of the people involved, and very little of their calligraphy. Grandiose titles (It seems like everyone involved is a "Grand High Panjadrum Of Penmanship" or something) and claims. I think it's more about image and marketing this "Ink Academy" as a money making venture than promoting calligraphy.

The funding is "flexible" so whether it meets any of its goals they get however much money there is.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:53:34 PM by suzietwig »
cheers, suzie*

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 11:51:47 PM »
I think it is a human and somewhat natural response for people to be immediately skeptical of that which they are not familiar. It is through education we relax our skepticism and can see the positive of something new. I am so glad you are able to give us the "inside info" about Ink.Academy @suzietwig

This is an enormous endeavor -- and I believe one that is definitely of great value -- for the calligraphic community. Thank you for sharing your passion with us and for working so hard to make your dream come true for you and for all of us!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Brush My Fennec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 08:49:48 AM »
With respect to promoting calligraphy, the excellent publications put out in the 19th and early 20th century have no equal today, just as the great skill of the penman then has no equals today in terms of quality of execution of work.

One of the best ways of promoting calligraphy today would be to produce hi-quality reprints of some excellent books and/or materials from that time at different price points.This would allow people to benefit from close and careful study of the finest examples of calligraphy at their leisure, without the problems inherent with videos and internet communications. People in the past were able to achieve the greatest heights of skill by studying and working from books, and there is no reason why this cannot be done today. Books have been around for thousands of years before you-tube and I believe, having worked at a university, that books are better as a learning tool than videos and e-mails &c.

With regard to titles, I believe that works of calligraphy should be able to speak for themselves without needing titles attached to the people who made it. So that said, the title of "Professor of Calligraphy": Is that formally given by the university? Because looking at the website of that univeristy I see that Giovanni De Faccio's title is something that translates as "assistant", and he is not specifically listed as a professor:

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.ndu.ac.at/ueber-uns/mitarbeiterinnen/mitarbeiterinnen/employee/de-faccio.html&prev=search

With respect to Master Penman , IAMPETH was founded in 1949, but the "Master Penman Society" associated with IAMPETH was created in 2001 by one person, and closed in 2015. The title/society has always attracted controversy as well, since it was created by just one person who decided who could be part of the club, and calling oneself a "Master" is a vast and far-reaching claim to make, especially when there are people of equal or greater skill who do or did not use such a title.

With respect to prices, on the indigogo $449 for "rare handmade ink" is a remarkable price for 25ml of ink, as is $49,999 for "An Original Masterpiece 16x20" by Michael Sull or Barbara Calzolari.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 09:33:22 AM by Brush My Fennec »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 01:53:23 PM »
I would argue the best way to promote calligraphy today is to bring it into the 21st century and train new people to achieve the skill of those masters of the 19th and 20th century. There is no reason it can't be done again and to hold onto old materials and not develop new ones is not productive in my opinion. Of course, there is much to learn from the old masters and their publications, but having spent hours and hours reading these texts and pulling instruction from them, I can tell you it would be much more productive to take classes developed by those who have excellent skill and historical perspective today.

That's like saying music schools should not have been created because we could just study the work of Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven.

It's quite an undertaking to establish a new art school and is no minor accomplishment to establish one with a unique focus that will be the only one of its kind in America. Having met with the founder and executive director of the Russian School of Calligraphy in Moscow and having discussed and learned about the programs, I can tell you there is a world of difference between weekend workshops and this type of school.

We have discussed the title issue ad nauseum in other threads so let's keep this on topic of the OP.

It saddens me that the naysayers are so quick to be judgemental and negative when this school is being created from the ground up to HELP spread calligraphy and establish standards for excellence. That would never happen if we all sat around digging through old publications and people like Suzie didn't risk everything to pursue their passion.

Carry on with your opinions but I for one am excited to witness history being made and a new beginning for the calligraphic arts in this country being recognized.

With respect to promoting calligraphy, the excellent publications put out in the 19th and early 20th century have no equal today, just as the great skill of the penman then has no equals today in terms of quality of execution of work.

One of the best ways of promoting calligraphy today would be to produce hi-quality reprints of some excellent books and/or materials from that time at different price points.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »
Well, this thread has certainly generated some interesting comments on tangential issues/questions, some of which have been discussed here (eg. the Master Penman designation), and some that would make worthy threads of their own (eg. What the best way is to teach penmanship/ bring a skill level to the master level, are today's master penmen as skillful as those in the golden age of penmanship in the US, and so on.). I'd be happy to discuss these things and hear the varying opinions, but in the interest of keeping to the topic at hand, I'll limit my opinions and observations in this thread to the Ink Academy program and its efforts to raise money. No offense intended to anyone with differing views.

Motivation. Is Ink Academy just in it for the money, cranking through any and all through the program just to make a buck? In a word, no.
The entire tuition for the first class of master penman (say 25 students) is less the $75000. That is less than the annual mean wage of hundreds of other occupations of a single person, much less the entire faculty and staff.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm

I would go so far as to say, if these folks were in it for the money, none would be in this occupation at all. They pursue this objective of creating a school from the heart and at great personal sacrifice. The little treats they give to thank contributors to the Indiegogo fund--where do they come from?--the faculty. Michael Sull is willing to make 100 pens to thank contributions at one level. Those Zanerian printing blocks?--from his personal collection. The other lagniappes?--all from the faculty, from least to most. A personal sacrifice.

Is the program expensive? I would say it's a bargain, recognizing the fact that not everyone might be able to easily set aside this amount at the moment, but many could--it's a matter of priorities. If one is still in school, for example, saving $60/week for a year might not be possible. So save for two years if necessary and if it is important to you. This is a Harvard level faculty. Know what the tuition is at Harvard for a masters program?

Will everyone who joins this program be the new Madarasz or Lupfer upon graduation? No. Each will enter the program with a different level of skill and leave the program with a different level of skill. There will be standards to be met along the way in order to progress, of course, and graduate, but just how far you go is really up to the student--how much effort and time you put in. The faculty has the knowledge to guide your way, but the student has to walk the walk.

Why not just save the money, get an instruction book from an 19th C. master, and teach yourself to the master level? Well, it can be done, as many did in the 19th C. and at least one member currently on the forum has done (whose copperplate rivals the 18th C. masters in Bickham's UP he admires), but it is a lonely road that way for most of us. A teacher can smooth and speed the way for most people.

I hope the people on this forum will support this program. It's such an opportunity, now and in the future.

Offline suzietwig

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 06:09:33 PM »
Just to clarify, the primary goal of Ink Academy is to create an online multi-disciplinary school that specializes in calligraphy, penmanship and hand lettering; we are not building this to simply "promote calligraphy."

If I can geek out for a second, I think it's important to look back to the full story of why there were such spectacular penmen back in the day--and to do so within historical context.

The decline of these "amazing penman of the past" lived in a very different culture/era. Calligraphers and Penmen were actually vital to both the professional and legal realms. The amount of time each of these penmen spent writing was enormous. Way more than any of us could do today in modern society. These pros actually competed among themselves to chest thump, creating challenges to show who was best.

--There was an abundance of penmanship education in primary, secondary schools. This boost was a solid foundation for fostering further study on an adult and professional level. Elegant penmanship was a reflection on the person's social status, a source of pride and was ubiquitous within the educated circles.

--Penmen used the books as constant guides, sure, but unless they were in the middle of nowhere--their education was directed by professional mentors and through "business school" education. As you surely know, they were at it all the time, creating both simple and incredible certificates, forms, receipt books, professional stationery, business cards, advertising, packaging. This learning certainly wasn't done alone in a room with a book. There were plenty of instruction in "business schools" and excellence penmanship was required and feircly studied.

--Even going back to the earlier centuries, let's think about it. There was no other vehicle even for laypersons to communicate in writing. People were USING penmanship ALL the time. Writing letters to friends and family far away, writing memoirs/journals, writing out their resumes, recipes, writing out checks, notes of debt, notes of agreement. There was no "practicing" unless you were 7 years old. That was the time to practice. After that, it was just something you did, all the time.

Sorry, one more geek-out moment here that might need clarifying: IndieGogo is a "crowdfunding" site. The purpose is to offer a "perk" in exchange for a contribution. It's not a retail store of sorts, and often the value of the item is the exclusivity or the limited edition aspect COMBINED with the desire to sponsor a project that you would like to support. Just like when you donate to NPR (our US-based listener-sponsored radio station) will carry out a fundraising campaign---they will offer something like "with your $100 donation you will receive a set of 2 cd's with our top 12 episodes." (Not that most people use CDs anymore!)   

Oh, and btw, that $499 Tyrian ink is actually worth a flipping fortune! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_purple And we'd ONLY make it for this campaign as it's just not a product that is "mainstream"  :o

And as for the art—the value of it is what the buyer is willing to pay. And wth paintings out there going for millions post-humously, $49,999 could be a great investment for someone! Who knows?!  ;) ;)

And finally (!!!) and exciting part you might like! We totally believe in keeping the past integrated with the present and future. We'll be building a HUGE archive of online access for members. It will contain hundreds of works that Michael Sull has collected over the decades and has had scanned for us. They are amazing examples of penmanship, flourishing and such. And we won't stop there. We'll be acquiring as many historical volumes as we can get our hands on and also scan those for online access and for students to download at will. We're so excited about this feature!! And this is clearly one of the reasons we need funds to move enrichment projects along at a healthy pace. We will literally need a small staff just to handle this archive aspect alone. I wish there were magic wands out there, but it's just one thing at a time at human pace!

Hope this helps, Fennec. I know you knew all of this already, but it's fun just to review these geeky things together, right? It's so much fun to roll your mind back in time and pretend you're a fly on the wall, watching all of this happening. The penmen competitions, people writing late at night in a freezing cold room with a fire ablaze in the fireplace behind their desk--the oil lamp all aglow. Then I snap out of the fantasy and realize we have it pretty freaking good these days :)

xoxo

One of the best ways of promoting calligraphy today would be to produce hi-quality reprints of some excellent books and/or materials from that time at different price points.This would allow people to benefit from close and careful study of the finest examples of calligraphy at their leisure, without the problems inherent with videos and internet communications. People in the past were able to achieve the greatest heights of skill by studying and working from books, and there is no reason why this cannot be done today. Books have been around for thousands of years before you-tube and I believe, having worked at a university, that books are better as a learning tool than videos and e-mails &c.

With regard to titles, I believe that works of calligraphy should be able to speak for themselves without needing titles attached to the people who made it. So that said, the title of "Professor of Calligraphy": Is that formally given by the university? Because looking at the website of that univeristy I see that Giovanni De Faccio's title is something that translates as "assistant", and he is not specifically listed as a professor:

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.ndu.ac.at/ueber-uns/mitarbeiterinnen/mitarbeiterinnen/employee/de-faccio.html&prev=search

With respect to Master Penman , IAMPETH was founded in 1949, but the "Master Penman Society" associated with IAMPETH was created in 2001 by one person, and closed in 2015. The title/society has always attracted controversy as well, since it was created by just one person who decided who could be part of the club, and calling oneself a "Master" is a vast and far-reaching claim to make, especially when there are people of equal or greater skill who do or did not use such a title.

With respect to prices, on the indigogo $449 for "rare handmade ink" is a remarkable price for 25ml of ink, as is $49,999 for "An Original Masterpiece 16x20" by Michael Sull or Barbara Calzolari.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:11:39 PM by suzietwig »
cheers, suzie*

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 08:36:31 AM »
Suzie,

Perhaps I may reproduce a few quotes from the IndieGoGo page?

Ink Academy exists to save a threatened artform ...

... there is a huge risk in diminishment in maintaining the integrity of thousands of years of the past.

... there currently are no comprehensive calligraphy programs anywhere in the world offering specialization in a wide variety of calligraphy styles.

I do not recognise this description of calligraphy as an endangered activity - on the contrary I cannot recall a time when it was in better health.  Educational opportunities abound, whether with individual teachers or with institutions like the Society of Scribes and Illuminators, CLAS (Tom Kemp was a founder member, let's not forget) or Sheila Waters' alma mater, the Royal College of Art.  Those three examples are all in my little country, and there are many more elsewhere.  Let me say as tactfully as possible that the European tradition of the last couple of millennia is in very safe hands - in Europe.  Surely it doesn't take a great imaginative leap to see how this billing of Ink Academy as the saviour of a moribund artform is going to play with all the other people who have put in so much work?

I am happy to acknowledge Mr Sull's influential work as a proselytiser for American vernacular penmanship, but the implicit suggestion that he is the fount of all wisdom is unsustainable.  Another quote, this time from Barbara Calzolari's Facebook page, and unconnected with the Ink Academy as far as I know:

Ladies and gents, it's my honour and proud to announce you that @michaelrsull is on his way to #London! 😁
        For the first time in the history the highest representative of the purest #Spencerian #penmanship style will be in London to teach a 2 days basic spencerian #workshop.

We're all ignorant barbarians over here, aren't we? - including the two very well known active teachers of Spencerian based in London, not to mention that retired Master up in Yorkshire who is still regarded as the first among equals by many of his IAMPETH peers.  This sort of hyperbole is sowing any amount of bad feeling in the wider calligraphy community, with waspish emails flying from country to country, some of which get cc'ed to me.  It's depressing.

I'm sorry if this comes as news to you, Suzie - and I suspect that it does.  Lord knows there have been flare ups before, but if there has been anything like this I haven't heard about it.  It's a matter of presentation, and could have been avoided with a modicum of tact.

Regards,
Andy

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 04:03:09 PM »

Ink Academy exists to save a threatened artform ...

... there is a huge risk in diminishment in maintaining the integrity of thousands of years of the past.

While everyone knows I am a fan of modern calligraphy -- take one look at the calligraphy gallery on The Knot (which is the "go to" for today's brides) and then tell me the integrity of calligraphy as an artform is not threatened. I went through the first five pages of the gallery and there was hardly one example there I would even call calligraphy.

Sure, this is a pitch - and it is meant to distinguish itself as a high quality training program for traditional calligraphy as an artform - a far stretch on the other side of modern wedding calligraphers. But -- ask anyone who runs a calligraphy business today what the market is like and it's not a stretch to understand calligraphy as an artform is getting muddled.

... there currently are no comprehensive calligraphy programs anywhere in the world offering specialization in a wide variety of calligraphy styles.

I would say I have to disagree with this as well, note said mention of the Russian Calligraphy School above, and a few more I featured in the last issue of Dasherie. If I'm being honest, that would be one thing I would change - the last part of the video says something to the effect of 'the only calligraphy school in the world.' )This is just not true. I understand it to mean, the only school of its kind (providing online instruction to an international student body) - but that is not what it says.  :-\

I do not recognise this description of calligraphy as an endangered activity - on the contrary I cannot recall a time when it was in better health.  Educational opportunities abound, whether with individual teachers or with institutions like the Society of Scribes and Illuminators, CLAS (Tom Kemp was a founder member, let's not forget) or Sheila Waters' alma mater, the Royal College of Art.  Those three examples are all in my little country, and there are many more elsewhere.  Let me say as tactfully as possible that the European tradition of the last couple of millennia is in very safe hands - in Europe.  Surely it doesn't take a great imaginative leap to see how this billing of Ink Academy as the saviour of a moribund artform is going to play with all the other people who have put in so much work?

I am happy to acknowledge Mr Sull's influential work as a proselytiser for American vernacular penmanship, but the implicit suggestion that he is the fount of all wisdom is unsustainable.  Another quote, this time from Barbara Calzolari's Facebook page, and unconnected with the Ink Academy as far as I know:

Ladies and gents, it's my honour and proud to announce you that @michaelrsull is on his way to #London! 😁
        For the first time in the history the highest representative of the purest #Spencerian #penmanship style will be in London to teach a 2 days basic spencerian #workshop.

We're all ignorant barbarians over here, aren't we? - including the two very well known active teachers of Spencerian based in London, not to mention that retired Master up in Yorkshire who is still regarded as the first among equals by many of his IAMPETH peers.  This sort of hyperbole is sowing any amount of bad feeling in the wider calligraphy community, with waspish emails flying from country to country, some of which get cc'ed to me.  It's depressing.

I'm sorry if this comes as news to you, Suzie - and I suspect that it does.  Lord knows there have been flare ups before, but if there has been anything like this I haven't heard about it.  It's a matter of presentation, and could have been avoided with a modicum of tact.

Regards,
Andy

And this is because artists have huge egos. Even that quote about Mike Sull doesn't say he is the only one. It's saying it was his first time going to London to teach. Which has no bearing whatsoever on other teachers of calligraphy in London or Europe or anywhere else. Perspective is an amazing tool. No one says Mike Sull or any of the other teachers at Ink Academy are the only good teachers in the world or that other good programs don't exist. But none like this exist. When you promote your business, you don't say, 'our teachers are great, even though there are other great teachers in the world.' And by not stating so, you aren't implying it either.

Hyperbole - no - that is obvious or intentional exaggerated speech not meant to be taken literally. Heavy on the hype - yes, that's called marketing. It's not for me to say whether it's too heavy or hurts others feelings or angers them because they disagree with it.

The whole American versus European calligraphy/calligraphers is an argument (for lack of a better word - perhaps contest or competition is better) is one I have no desire to get in the middle of or partake in. It's been going on for centuries and clearly will continue on now.

Instead of being hurt or jealous or angry or enter any emotion that this endeavor has stirred up in others, perhaps people can take a step back and ask how it does or does not affect them, what it means to them or doesn't, why it threatens them or their understanding of who they themselves are in this community or doesn't. And then carry on accordingly.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram