Author Topic: A very nice doctors bill from 1832  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Brush My Fennec

• View Profile
A very nice doctors bill from 1832
« on: April 28, 2017, 03:40:20 PM »
Not often you hear nice used in conjunction with doctors bill, but this receipt for paying off one deserves it. The capital M is rather odd and ugly in my opinion, but the rest of it is unusually good. Note the much more angular style of writing on the actual doctors bill to which the receipt is attached.

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: A very nice doctors bill from 1832
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
This is great! I love the use of ditto. :)
Star

Offline Elizgadus59

• I LOVE LETTERS!!!
    • View Profile
    • Elizscriptscalligraphy
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:28:53 PM »
I have a hand written certificate of a hospital staff that has all the doctors names , Each of them signed.... Absolutely beautiful.  Once upon a time when professionals wrote professionally. I'll have to find it and photograph it.

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:22:52 AM »
It looks as though Alice provided both the signature and the date at the top which is an interesting way to sign and date something.  Maybe that was typical of the time rather than writing the date next to the signature as we do these days.  Also interesting that there is no title in front of Alice, since I would expect a married woman's signature to be Mrs. So-and-so (assuming she was the wife of the late Mr. (not Dr.?) Halkyard.

Also, agree on the ugliness of the capital M which I actually thought was a D at first.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram