Author Topic: Calligraphy to Vector Tutorial  (Read 21884 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: Calligraphy to Vector Tutorial
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 04:40:38 AM »
I've been scanning hand lettering and line work for years and vectorizing in Illustrator. The Image Trace has been improved very much over the years, especially from Streamline, which I used eons ago.

Hi Laura, I remember Streamline, that was ugly ;)! I remember how dissapointed I was about the result when a friend showed me to vectorize some of my B/W illustrations – I became more of a photoshop user then!

It seems that nowadays it's worth a try again with the autotracing tool in Illustrator. Thanks for explaining your process!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline inkcatcher

• SIENNE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 03:42:11 AM »
Hi! Thank you for this! Will definitely try it someday! Maybe after feeling that my works are already worthy of being digitize! Hah! - Beginner
Hi! My name is Sienne (Si-yen/ Shen).
Instagram | Website | Pen Meet Manila

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »
ok, since my background is in PSD and AI, i thought it was time i give this a try.  and seriously, because of my pointed pen addiction, i don't think i have opened either application in 4 or 5 months...what?!  crazy.  anyhoo, OMG it takes FOREVER to clean it up in PSD, it is tedious work, and i knew this because i used to do stuff like this all the time.  but here is my first try at a my "logo".  not really a logo, but my former design work was under Bien Fait Graphics, so i just went along those lines and that's what i named my IG feed...not bad for my first time and i'm glad i tried it!

edit: yikes that's not very smooth!!!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 01:07:20 AM »
Looks good Joi! I think once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take long to do the clean up. I can whip through it pretty fast. It's the AI part that slows me down! I think this looks nice and smooth!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mosh

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Flickr:
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2015, 12:03:47 AM »
I don't use Illustrator but CorelDRAW, which is an equivalent vector software. This is a sample of a directly scanned-and-auto-vectorised sample (I scanned at 800 ppi since my original was not that big) and then a cleaned-up version I have not yet finished yet. A friend of mine asked me if I could use my handwriting to print on a cup she wanted to use as a gift. The whole process (writing, scanning and vectorising without the colour) took around two-three hours.

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »
Wow, that looks amazing Mosh, I too have CorelDRAW and not the first idea how to use it! if you ever have the inclination to put a tutorial together 'vectorising your calligraphy the basics' let me know, I'll be first in the queue!  ;)

May I just say how I loved your photography is also, your cats are beautiful and very cute xx

Nikki x

Offline Mosh

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Flickr:
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »
Thanks, Nikki.

No problem; I will try and create a small tutorial on doing vector work with CorelDRAW. : )

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2015, 09:28:28 AM »
Wow, that would be awesome!

Thank you

:)
Nikki x