Author Topic: Sketching out and rough draft process  (Read 4837 times)

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
Sketching out and rough draft process
« on: January 20, 2015, 01:12:29 PM »
I have a couple of larger projects coming up (yipee!!). I have some really basic questions about figuring out the layout - sorry if they seem obvious, but I've never done this before.  :-[

What is the most efficient way you've found to get through the sketching/rough draft process? Do you need to sketch it out to scale? One of them is going to be 16x20, I'm wondering if I need to make a rough draft on butcher paper or something in the actual size to get a real feel for the layout, or if I can still get the picture with something smaller without running into problems I'm not prepared for by changing the final size from the draft.

Also, I've seen people do the grid thing as suggested on this board by the great and wise Erica ;) but I don't get what that does. I get that it helps with making the lines even as with guidelines, but does it help during the design process by creating the visual on a whole?

Any other tips that have helped any of you in the past more than welcome!! Thanks!

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
Re: Sketching out and rough draft process
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
What is the most efficient way you've found to get through the sketching/rough draft process? Do you need to sketch it out to scale?

Hi Meredith! I don't know how others do it, but if I'm doing a 16x20 piece, I digitally "sketch it out" in Photoshop. Create a 16x20 canvas and look for a font that closely resembles the script you're working on (similar slant, x-height, ascender/descender, etc.) and just type out the text. Play around with the leading and kerning for optimal placement, and use it as a guide for your first draft.

Hope that helps!

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 05:13:30 PM »
That's wonderful advice Linda!

I'm essentially living in the dark ages when it comes to computer literacy, which is especially embarrassing considering my age, but I'm starting the cavewoman's version on Word that will give me a rough picture. I don't have Photoshop or anything comparable. Closest thing is an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro, haha! I do hope to catch up to the digital age some day though.  :)

Thanks again!

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 05:34:54 PM »
I think Word would work - It's not as customized as Photoshop/Illustrator/etc. can get, but you can still create a 16x20 document with text, line spacing, pick a font, and play with margins. You're basically creating a guide so you have a better idea of how to layout the entire piece. Good luck! Will you share the finished piece with us? :)

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »
Thanks!
And, um, I'm kind of fangirling that you would even be mildly interested in seeing something I do, so, SURE! I'll share when I complete it  ;D

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »
Different processes work for different people. While I am quite comfortable with computers I much prefer doing the layout by hand at the final size if possible. This does required re-writing things to play with spacing etc. but I like that part - especially since it gives me a chance to practice the hands I will be using for the composition.

Here is a shot of one of the compositions along with the 'final' draft - there were at least 3 before this as the design developed.

Salman
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:33:48 AM by SMK »
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 01:04:00 AM »
Wow, that is beautiful, Salman.

Thank you for sharing. It's so very helpful to see people's process. Feels like I (hopefully) won't have to do as much guess work.

Offline Des

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • FolklorePH Prints
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 04:20:30 AM »
Ohlalala papyrus. I'm having paper envy Salman  ;D

Meredith, which surface are you working on. I've seen some letterists do the layout with tracing paper, kinda like this process (Look at 2:26 on the timeline)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:14:05 AM by Des »

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
Don't be too envious Des. I have a bunch of papyrus but it isn't the best surface for Calligraphy. Reed pens are manageable but using steel nibs is a challenging experience on the rough surface. The only good thing is that it takes all inks and paints beautifully.

Salman

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company