Author Topic: Botanicals  (Read 789 times)

Offline IndieCalligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Botanicals
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:49:31 AM »
One of the reasons I’ve become motivated to formally learn calligraphy is I’d like to combine my artistic goals and pursuits.  I LOVE anything botanical and I love photography.  I’ve spent a few years photographing plants and flowers and I have small collection of photographs that I’d like to reproduce as sketches and eventually watercolor.  I’d then like to label them or add inspirational quotes.

Does anyone know of good materials/resources for an intro to drawing/painting botanicals? I’m specifically looking for something related to watercolor or colored pencils.

Thanks!!

Sasha

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Botanicals
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:02:42 AM »
One of the reasons I’ve become motivated to formally learn calligraphy is I’d like to combine my artistic goals and pursuits.  I LOVE anything botanical and I love photography.  I’ve spent a few years photographing plants and flowers and I have small collection of photographs that I’d like to reproduce as sketches and eventually watercolor.  I’d then like to label them or add inspirational quotes.

Does anyone know of good materials/resources for an intro to drawing/painting botanicals? I’m specifically looking for something related to watercolor or colored pencils.

Thanks!!

Sasha
@IndieCalligraphy
Hi Sasha,
You might consider this book. It's old, but it's nice.
There are modern reprints, print on demand, but I would avoid them--just not very good.
If you're interested in getting a copy, go here:
https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=Vere+Foster&title=Flowers&lang=en&submitBtn=Search&new_used=*&destination=us&currency=USD&binding=*&isbn=&keywords=&minprice=&maxprice=&min_year=&max_year=&mode=advanced&st=sr&ac=qr

Offline IndieCalligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:13:21 AM »
Thank you, AnasaziWrites!

D B Holtz

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:22:41 AM »
I found a link that lets you download a PDF of this book:

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/gri.ark:/13960/t3vt55d2z

DB