Author Topic: Printable list of Nibs, sizes, and their uses  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Mrsjoeywilson

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Printable list of Nibs, sizes, and their uses
« on: June 14, 2015, 01:07:43 AM »
I can't seem to find NO where on the www where anyone has made a list much less a printable list of the types of nibs, their sizes, AND their uses. I do find, however, list of nibs types and sizes and like it saying for fine or bookkeeping, sketching, etc. but I'm looking for a PRINTABLE compiled list of the nibs names or types, their sizes, and their uses such as italics, copperplate, Gothic, etc r the multiple functions such as one of them might do copperplate and gothic too. Just an example I don't know that to be right Or not. 
So if anyone knows of where such a list exists PLEASE tell me where and if no one knows of where and you are familiar enough with a number of the different ones, maybe you would be willing to help me and others out by compiling one for me (us).  I would be so thankful and greatful to whoever can help me out with this.
Thank you very much from the bottom of my artist hungry heart!!!

Blessings,
Leslie

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Printable list of Nibs, sizes, and their uses
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 04:46:34 AM »
Hi Leslie,

I am not sure if anyone here would have made a comprehensive list.  You can take a look at this site

http://www.kallipos.de/gb-lettering-nibs.html

This is a german shop and he keeps a HUGE variety of nibs classified under different types like lettering, pointed, drawing etc.  Within each category he has pictures and description of the nibs including how fine and flexible they are. 

The only issue is that, within the categories, the nibs listed are not in any particular order, like alphabetical.  So you will have to do a search of the nibs that you are interested in, or go through the huge catalogue of nibs that he has :)

So, I made a pdf of just the pointed nibs ages ago and that itself was 150 pages long.  But it helps in searching for particular brands or nib number.  Like "Esterbrook 354". 

I  don't think there is anyone else who has made such a catalogue.  I may be wrong and the others in the Forum may have more suggestions.

Happy hunting  :)
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Sandeeee

• Never stop learning. Never stop writing.
    • View Profile
    • Sandeegraphy
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:56:37 AM »
This isn't a printable list tho, but I came across this post online as I was surfing

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carmelscribe/sets/72157637176485314/

It's Jane Farr's nib testing list on various pointed nibs. It's pretty useful too! :)
Sandee Suan - sandeegraphy.wordpress.com
"Never stop learning. Never stop feeling. Never stop writing."
@sandeegraphy

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »
Hi Leslie,

I am not sure if anyone here would have made a comprehensive list.  You can take a look at this site

http://www.kallipos.de/gb-lettering-nibs.html

This is a german shop and he keeps a HUGE variety of nibs classified under different types like lettering, pointed, drawing etc.  Within each category he has pictures and description of the nibs including how fine and flexible they are. 
O.M.G. !!  :o  :o   Look at all those vintage nibs!!!!!
I am going to ruin myself now.......... (that site is definitely not suitable for OCD folks like me  ;) )

Offline Mrsjoeywilson

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 12:19:28 AM »
Ok these were like some of the ones I already found just labeling the nib name and the well I don't k the exact word to use so I'll use what I think it would be called the width or thickness of the penmanship from each nib I guess u could say. But what I'm looking for is the name and the width or thickness or whatever it is called AND what the uses would be for like the Nikko G everyone talks about what type penmanship is this particular nib good for like copperplate or italics or gothic. That's what I'm needing because I haven't a clue what the C's classification nibs are good to use for or the zebra or the Hunt's. If anyone can make me a list of Nibs and their uses (what type penmanship they are good to use for such as what I mentioned above like copperplate or italics or Gothic) what nibs do I use for each of these and other types I have not mentioned. OR if there is a BOOK Preferably an ebook that anyone knows of that has this info on it or a website. Or if someone has a list preferably a printable list. Or a suggestion on how YOU learned of which nib was used for what type penmanship. Not sure if I'm wording all that right and understandable to all who reads and helps me with this. Plz all that can and will contribute plz do. Thank you again in advance.
Blessings,
Leslie

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 03:27:59 AM »
O.M.G. !!  :o  :o   Look at all those vintage nibs!!!!!
I am going to ruin myself now.......... (that site is definitely not suitable for OCD folks like me  ;) )

Blame the Forum eric.  ;D  It was AndyT's fault for recommending this site.  He got me hooked so I decided to pay it forward.

-Prasad
My Instagram

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 03:47:48 AM »
Hi Leslie,
I am not too sure about posting pictures from another website on here, so I shall be safe and not do it.

If you go to the Kallipos website and select the Calligraphy nibs, there is a categorisation of the types of nibs like " lettering, pointed, ballpoint....)
Click on any one of them and scroll down a little.  On the left hand side you will see "Info" about that type of nib and what it is recommended for, the kind of lettering and style of writing.

Eg:  "Most of the Drawing pens are very thin and pointed and create an extremely fine stroke. They are primarily suitable for hatching and drawing. Drawing pens are usually too sensitive for writing. "

In most cases, the info section also consists of videos or writing samples possible from these categories of nibs.

Given that Base classification, you can then search through the right side (pictures and description) and see how each nib will perform in that particular style.

for e.g.:  " Very fine stroke, very high flexibility. Especially suitable for Anglaise (Copperplate). For the writing of Copperplate and Spencerian scripts"  OR  "Broad stroke, not flexible. Designed to make carbon copies, therefore very resiliant to pressure."

You can compare this to the nibs that you already have as far as flexibility and stroke width is concerned.  Like a Nikko G would probably be a Very fine stroke and high flexibility. 

Another place to check out information about nibs is IAMPETH, but these are primarily for pointed pen.

go to the Getting started section and look up the following

Choosing the Right Nib
A Look at Fine & Flexible Nibs
A Look at Fine & Not-So-Flexible Nibs

Hope this helps.
-Prasad
My Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 07:16:47 AM »
Go to JohnNealBooks.com and flip through the catalog and you will see all kinds of information on which nibs do what. On the opening page, there is a column of categories to the left. Under Tools and Materials, click on Calligraphy and Illumination. Then at the top, you will see broad edge calligraphy nibs and pointed calligraphy nibs. John sells some nice samplers with a variety of nibs - that are perfect for beginners. Many of us also recommend walnut ink for beginners. A sampler of nibs, walnut ink and a pad of gridded practice paper should be plenty to get you started.

If you prefer reading a hard copy, request a catalog be mailed to you.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 06:34:42 AM »
Blame the Forum eric.  ;D  It was AndyT's fault for recommending this site.  He got me hooked so I decided to pay it forward.

Statement in Mitigation.

I am of course guilty as charged, and profoundly regret any unfortunate consequences of my actions for other forum members.  Nonetheless, without mentioning names, I feel bound to mention that it was a certain esteemed member from Germany who led me astray in the first place.  No doubt she is feeling suitably ashamed of herself.  ;)

Offline Mrsjoeywilson

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 11:26:59 PM »
Ty all for your help. All is muchly appreciated any other opinions, info , etc is muchly appreciated In advance. I LOVE to learn all I can. I crave information like some ppl crave food lol
Blessings to all,
Leslie
Ps keep the info and opinions coming. I welcome all opinions and information all and anyone can and will give.