Author Topic: Greetings from the Netherlands  (Read 125 times)

Offline Thymen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Greetings from the Netherlands
« on: June 24, 2018, 03:53:55 PM »
Hello there!

About a month and a half ago I decided to once more ink the fountain pen I bought 30 years ago. And I re-discovered how relaxing it is to just write, with nothing more required then a piece of paper, a good pen, and time.

I bought that fountain pen, a Shaeffer Grand Connoisseur, to leave it to my eldest son, together with some personal letters. I have my Grandfathers pen, with letters he wrote to my father, in a beautiful hand, and both pen and letters are very dear to me. The pen for my son has been there for a long time, but the letters.... I still have to write them. I have two son, so a month ago I bought another fountain pen (Mont Blanc 146) to double the task.

I haven't written anything substantial for quite a few years, and my handwriting is in dire need of improvement. Being a lefty does not make it any easier, but with a lot of practice and patience I hope to achieve at least a fair level of 'penmanship'. For now, my goal is to train myself in Spencerian writing.

Calligraphy, of which I have seen some fantastic examples here on this forum, may be beyond my capabilities, but I find it fascinating to see what some people are able to create. And who knows, in a few years when my muscles have been sufficiently trained, I might give it a try myself.

Greetings,

Thymen

Offline Bianca M

• View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Greetings from the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 11:36:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Thymen!  How special to have letters from your grandfather to your father- I would certainly treasure something like that.

Online AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 04:31:01 PM »
For now, my goal is to train myself in Spencerian writing.

Calligraphy, of which I have seen some fantastic examples here on this forum, may be beyond my capabilities, but I find it fascinating to see what some people are able to create. And who knows, in a few years when my muscles have been sufficiently trained, I might give it a try myself.

Greetings,

Thymen
@Thymen
One option is to train you muscles from the start in Spencerian (rather than ingrain bad habits, possibly). I would recommend Michael Sull's Learning to Write Spencerian Script, which can be found here:
https://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=Sull
I'm sure John Neal would send it to you.

Offline Thymen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 06:40:48 AM »
There are so many things to learn, and I am not in a hurry. Lots of reading, writing, and scouring the internet.

One thing I find difficult to master is keeping the correct slant and proper letter height in Spencerian. Majuscules are much higher then what I am used to, and they tend to raise the minuscules with them. I bought some calligraphy paper with 55 slanted guides, but being a lefty, it's 6-4-6 mm lining is a little too big for me.

I created some practice sheets myself on extra-smooth copy paper to suit my line spacing and slant, and, as a bonus, found that  not only is that paper more fountain-pen friendly, but also 25 times cheaper. (50 sheets of calligraphy paper <= 12.50 => 1250 sheets of copy paper).

(The paper brand is Double A, is made in France, just 25% more expensive then standard copy paper but much, much smoother and has a nice solid feel to it. Available in the Netherlands, not sure where else.)

Question: is there a reason one has to answer three questions before posting something here? Some questions may be easy for the experienced, but it took me 15 minutes before my answers were accepted and I noticed that there was a verification box to blank...

Offline Bianca M

• View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 06:49:12 PM »
The questions are to prevent spam bots from posting. After a certain number of posts (I'm not sure how many, but it's not much), you won't have to answer them anymore.  :)