Author Topic: Is it Really Free?  (Read 12300 times)

Offline cyndih

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is it Really Free?
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2016, 10:10:01 AM »
Thank you so much for this forum, Erica.  I am a rookie and I love this place!!!  You have truly given us all a gift.   :)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
Thank you cmccho and cyndih!  :) <3
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline BabeVivien

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
Thank you so much for accepting me as a member and for sharing!!

Vivien

Offline mikecharli

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »
Thank you, Erica.  I just started learning pointed pen this summer and your tutorials have helped me greatly.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2018, 09:51:23 AM »
Welcome @BabeVivien and @mikecharli ! So glad you have joined us and that the tutorials have been helpful!
Truly, Erica

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2018, 02:51:21 PM »
Dear Erica,

First, let me say how sorry I am that you've had these health challenges.  Being a mother, I understand how painful it is to watch our children having problems of any kind, much less the ones that will not go away.  I just said a prayer for you and your family. 

It's so wonderful of you to give of yourself so generously to all of us.  Thank you.  I'm so pleased to have a place like this to go to seek advice.  I'm 61 and I took a calligraphy class in my 20's and then life took over and my husband and I worked and raised our son.  Now, I'm starting again and this time trying to get better at calligraphy and learn Copperplate.  But, I made a mistake at the beginning of last year.  I didn't know any better, but I almost feel as though I wasted a whole year learning a calligraphy script that was a creation of someone else.  Many of the letters have never "felt" right and a year later, I'm still trying to "find my calligraphy feet."  So, I bought the Eleanor Winters book about 2 months ago and I'm starting over learning the basic letterforms.  I say all this to point out that you're right! Learning the basic letterforms is helpful and as Phyllis Macaluso said, "If you learn the classic way, then you can break the rules like an artist."  And, when you break the rule, that will be your art and your own calligraphy and it will feel right to you.  I think.  I'm not quite there yet!  I just know that the script created by someone else - although beautiful - was not a fit for me.  I would be further along had I started with the classics.  After I get this down, I would like to learn a modern script as well.

So, again, thank you so much and my best wishes for you and your family.

Liz

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2018, 07:29:46 AM »
Thank you Liz @lizabetht  for your very kind words and your prayers. I so appreciate both. I am happy to hear you have found your way back to calligraphy. Itís hard to know where to start nowadays because there are so many calligraphy classes and tutorials, etc. While it may seem like you made a mistake in where you began, itís OK because even though you werenít learning a traditional script, you were learning how to use the pen, how to manage the ink, etc. So the experience is still valuable never the less.

You may want to check out Salmanís tutorials as they are excellent for learning a beautiful Engrosserís Script copperplate.

Best of luck on your calligraphy journey!  :)
Truly, Erica