Author Topic: Basic Strokes  (Read 3689 times)

Offline wtienken

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Basic Strokes
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:05:40 PM »
Worked on some of the strokes form Erica's (awesome) tutorial today.  Aside from the fact that there is a ton on ink bleeding going on (darn you, Higgins!!), I'd love to hear your thoughts.  How is the consistency?  What strokes should I continue to practice? I used the Hiro 41 on laser printer paper, on a light box with the guideline sheet underneath. 

Any and all critique welcome :)

Thanks!

Wendy
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:12:36 PM by wtienken »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Strokes
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:34:23 AM »
Hi Wendy,
This is GREAT!!! I love seeing your hard work! You are doing really well! Looks like you have the full pressure and press and release strokes down. You've done a really nice job on your transitions as well! I would say concentrate on the oval shape now. You have some good ones in there. So a little more practice and you will nail it.

Regarding the paper and feathering ... it might be the Higgins which is a good ink. But it could also be the paper. Some laser paper is really soft and porous so it can feather more. The HP one I use is a nice balance because it's soft (so it doesn't skip much) but the coating is such that it doesn't feather. However, I've never tried the Higgins on it - only walnut ink, sumi, watercolor, and gouche.

I always date my practice sheets and keep them in a folder. It's fun to look back and see how quickly you make progress! I've stepped it up and have the next lessons coming together so you can move onto the letters and words soon!

Thanks for sharing!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline wtienken

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »
Thanks so much, Erica! I definitely see that I need to work on those o shapes more. I'm used to starting them just to the right, with an up stroke, curving up and over into the thick downstroke. Is that ok? I think starting them on the downstroke threw me a bit, lol! I'll work more on those.

I really, truly want to have beautiful calligraphy. I'm lucky that I can commit to 2-3 hours a day, most days, to this. So I have no excuse for not getting there, lol!

Thanks, again, for this space and the wonderful tuts you are putting out. I hope you believe in karma :)

Wendy

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 01:00:21 PM »
Hi Wendy,

YES - you definitely start on the right, then loop over to the left for the pressure downstroke, then come back up to join the thin start on the top right. (I mention that at 8:04 in the video.) I'm sorry that wasn't more clear.  :-\

I personally don't do a big stem on the right start side because then I have difficulty getting them to connect without an overlap. Definitely do what works best for you! There really isn't a right or wrong way - just whatever helps you make the best letter forms!

I am working on the close-up videos of each letter so people can review without watching the whole intro. I'll be sure to note that regarding the starting point for the o's! And I'll be sure to be more careful with the arrow directional on the worksheets. That's great feedback for me so thanks!

I absolutely believe in karma!  :D Thank you!  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »
And P.S. You WILL have beautiful calligraphy with all your dedication!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:58:03 PM »
Wendy, I hope you're still working on practicing! I posted a note regarding some nibs and ink I discovered that has made my work much better! I hope you'll take a look ~ I really feel like I've made a breakthrough over the past couple of days.

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=139.0

Ellen

Offline Sherry Lu

• View Profile
    • Sherry Lu Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 01:37:14 AM »
:) I really love using a Rhodia pad (dotted) for practicing! Dating the sheets is a GREAT idea; I'm gonna start doing that. I do note at the top of each page which nib and ink that I used!!

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:44:49 PM »
:) I really love using a Rhodia pad (dotted) for practicing! Dating the sheets is a GREAT idea; I'm gonna start doing that. I do note at the top of each page which nib and ink that I used!!

Love Rhodia pad too! On dating the sheets -- I've thrown out most of my practice sheets out of frustration. LOL
Katia | Manila, Philippines
Instagram: thedesignhobbyist

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »
Haha, not me. I've kept every last one of my practice pages and they're taunting me!

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »
I have all mine from my first formal class. It feels good to look back and see how much I've improved. And - how there is so much more I have to learn!  :-[