Author Topic: Oblique holder with a replaceable flange  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Ernie Young

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Oblique holder with a replaceable flange
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 08:19:24 PM »
Matthew,

If you want to upgrade to a lathe, there is an 8" x 12" Bench Top Wood Lathe at Harbor Freight for $119.99, and you could use the code 21741290 to get $30 off. I tried it and it works. There is a YouTube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h56Tn1EWIqo. Using a lathe has to be a lot easier than using a drill!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:26:49 PM by Ernie Young »
Ernie Young

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 08:39:54 PM »
That looks like a sweet deal.  I'm not quite ready for a lathe right now, but I'll keep that in mind for the future.  Thank you.

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »
Ernie, if you ever consider upgrading to a lathe, I suggest the one below over the link you posted. The one you linked has a HORRIBLE tailstock design that breaks easily. The motor is also HORRIBLY under-powered. The lathe below is the same lathe that Rockler sells as their Excalibur and many other companies sell. If you sign up for Harbor Freight coupon deals by mail or email you also get a 25% off coupon all the time, which drops the price to $149.99. I have one of those lathes and still use it today in addition to my Jet lathe.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-top-wood-lathe-65345.html
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Ernie Young

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »
Thanks for the information Christopher, and the discounted $149.99 Harbor Freight price is excellent, as are the reviews at Rockler.com. On the Rockler site they have a number of good videos, but the price is much higher than Harbor Freight. This Lathe weighs almost 80 lbs!
Ernie Young

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 02:18:32 PM »
Ernie, if you ever consider upgrading to a lathe, I suggest the one below over the link you posted. The one you linked has a HORRIBLE tailstock design that breaks easily. The motor is also HORRIBLY under-powered. The lathe below is the same lathe that Rockler sells as their Excalibur and many other companies sell. If you sign up for Harbor Freight coupon deals by mail or email you also get a 25% off coupon all the time, which drops the price to $149.99. I have one of those lathes and still use it today in addition to my Jet lathe.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-top-wood-lathe-65345.html
And here's a demo of it on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZKj-d33J_M

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »
Thanks for the information Christopher, and the discounted $149.99 Harbor Freight price is excellent, as are the reviews at Rockler.com. On the Rockler site they have a number of good videos, but the price is much higher than Harbor Freight. This Lathe weighs almost 80 lbs!

Yeah the cast iron lathe bed is heavy, as well as the motor. The Rockler version, you are just paying extra for the Name Brand stamp on the machine, they are still both Chinese made from the same place. Its an amazingly nice lathe for the money.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:23:41 PM by YokePenCo »
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2021, 02:45:16 PM »
I realize this is an older thread but for anyone searching the archives, check out this new thread with links to an article by Happy DIY Home: Wood Lathe Reviews
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram