Author Topic: Does everybody speak english?  (Read 5313 times)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
Re: Does everybody speak english?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »

Bonjour!! Oui, oui! Je suis très bien!

French has similarities with Spanish. For example, you said "je passe un examen aujourd'hui" which means "I passed an exam today" and in Spanish it would be "yo pasé un examen hoy (OR el dia de hoy)" - see the similarities between French & Spanish? That's why my French instructor told me it "came easy to me" and called me her "French Queen Bee" LOL

That's true. My french teacher told me about that as well. It's interesting how similar the two languages are.

Offline ekeyart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 04:36:10 AM »

Do you speak English? - fluent
Hablas Español? - fluent
Parlez-vous français? - basics from High School (MANY years ago!! LOL)

Taking it from Estrella's knowledge of languages but changing the Français to Català ;)

Do you speak English? - fluent
¿Hablas Español? - fluent
Parles Català? - basics but getting better (as I now live in Barcelona)
Elayne x
Great ideas are meant to be shared
https://instagram.com/ekeyart

Offline tangledpen

• View Profile
    • tangledpen
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »
What an interesting thread!

I had no idea that Afrikaans is so understandable! (if that term makes sense ;))

Like Estefa, I'm German but have lived in the U.S. since 2001. So English is my second nature. It's still crazy at our house these days language-wise, as our kids still blend happily some Swedish into our conversations, as we spent the past 3 years over in Sweden.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
Schöne Feiertage!
God Jul!
:)
Jana

instagram.com/tangledpen

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »
I think the closer two languages are, the harder they are to distinguish. I spent some months in Spain, and when I returned I met this French guy in the airplane. We soon switched from French to English, as my French got all confused with my Spanish (that was much better at this time, of course)! – So I can imagine learning Catalán is also hard even if you know French and Spanish!

I could also guess the meaning of the Afrikaans (because it has similarities to German), but spoken I guess it's much harder – at least it is so with Dutch :). I can also 'read' it a bit, but understand close to nothing (when spoken, I mean) …
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »
I only wish I knew more languages!
I mentioned on another thread that I'm on a faculty search committee at the University where I work, and have been reviewing applicant files - some are so impressive and have upwards of 12 languages listed! Our faculty searches are advertised internationally and currently about 90% of the applicants are from abroad, with the majority being Middle Eastern. There are languages and dialects listed, that I've never even heard of before!  :o  ;)  :-X haha

Offline tangledpen

• View Profile
    • tangledpen
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2015, 05:24:28 PM »

I could also guess the meaning of the Afrikaans (because it has similarities to German), but spoken I guess it's much harder – at least it is so with Dutch :). I can also 'read' it a bit, but understand close to nothing (when spoken, I mean) …

You've got a point there, Stefanie - happened to us in Sweden! If we needed to figure something out from the spoken word, it was nearly impossible in the beginning. Once it was jotted down, the big 'Aha!' moment was most likely to follow ;)

Frohe Weihnacht!
Jana

instagram.com/tangledpen

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2015, 06:31:26 PM »
Talking of Sweden, I have a friend in sophisticated, cosmopolitan Stockholm who says that he can't understand Norwegian because although there are plenty of similarities he can't hear what's being said for laughing at the accent.  Actually, he says the same about Göteborg.  :)