Author Topic: Copybook confessions  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Doesy

• View Profile
Copybook confessions
« on: November 14, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »
Ok, this is slightly weird but I thought I might find others here that do the same. I like reading through old copy books. Not just the new (as in unused) but also the used (as in completely written on, ink smeared, dog chewed). It doesn't even have to be a letter writing drills copybook. It can be any sort of copybook - history, mathematics, you name it. I love looking through the subject matter and the handwriting.

There's one in particular I really like which is Nancy White's Arithmatic copy book from 1781. It's filled interesting word problems about large fabric orders, handwritten conversion tables for dry weights, wine measures (63 gallons = hogshead), lengths (3 barley corn = 1 inch) and multiplication/long division equations. Most interesting to me are the hand doodled flourishes that are everywhere in the book. There's also one page where she is clearly plotting out the doodled big flourish for a capital letter L with dotted lines. I can just see her quickly copying the conversion tables getting bored and then start flourishing and doodling in her workbook.

The reason why I'm posting is because I was wondering if anyone might know more about this copybook, who Nancy White was and her age when she started this workbook. Anyone else out there a closet copybook reader?

Link to Nancy's copybook:
https://archive.org/details/arithmaticcopybo8617nanc

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Copybook confessions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »
This is so COOL! I actually have a friend named Nancy White!  ;D

I know what you mean about reading these... I found an old Ledger (1700s) from our family's farmhouse in Maine this summer. Every second I had, I was reading it. It was fascinating!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:47:37 AM »
I really love this - thanks for sharing. I love finding and reading old copybooks and ledgers.

A few weeks ago I bought an old journal from the 1920's at an estate sale for $3. I got it initially because a lot of it is unused and I love using vintage paper with my penpals, but there are some entries written in it by a young woman during that time. I'll have to post a picture of it later, she has very interesting writing. She's upset at someone name Peter for leaving and sailing around the world, she doesn't identify with her family and is trying to like playing Bridge so she can connect with them, and later on she starts liking another guy and feels guilty.

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »
That's so cool. I once had access to literally hundreds of books from the 1800's that a library was getting rid of. We used some to make sculptures out of them but I don't know what happened to the rest. There were all kinds of notes in them. I remember one note in particular that had this wonderful script on it. It was just tucked into one of the books I used. I wish I'd kept that paper.
Monica

Offline Doesy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 04:48:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies! It's good to know I'm not the only copybook reader out there - between calligraphy and confessed copybook reading I sometimes feel kind of eccentric (ok, I confess - competely eccentric).

Erica, what a treasure you found on the family farm! I love ledgers. They always seem to contain a wealth of information about everyday life (things used, costs, fees and a host of other detail). What an amazing find!

Love the diary you found Raaynuuh. It's from such an interesting period of time too when so many things were changing for people. Technology and automation were changing the workplace, women had just recently won the right to vote (in the US) . How wonderful to have found this!

MotherOfPhoenix, it must have been so interesting looking through those old books. I've sometimes found flowers or feathers pressed between the pages of antiquerian books but no notes yet. It's sort of strange coming upon something left in a book. Sometimes I'll look at the page more closely too try to figure out what the previous reader was bookmarking.

Offline tangledpen

• View Profile
    • tangledpen
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 08:36:57 PM »
Oh yes - I love old ledgers and copy books! They're treasures to me. So you're not alone! ;)
Jana

instagram.com/tangledpen