Author Topic: Does everybody speak english?  (Read 4491 times)

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
Re: Does everybody speak english?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 03:33:03 AM »
The reason I learned english is I didn't like learning Dutch... wich is the second (well, it's actually the first, but I'm a french speaker...) language in Belgium. And I didn't know german was actually our 3rd official language until my brain was screwed up with all the english I had learned  :P
So now, as I'm regretting my foolishness because half my country thinks I'm retarded, I'm glad I can exchange with all the calligraphy geeks in here   ;)!

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 09:25:07 AM »
And all the Flourishing Trekies take out their Obliques and Stab Carina  :P :P :P :P :P :P

Gak! Don't do that! I come in peace!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:21:16 AM by Erica McPhee »

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »
In Spain, most schools offer english as second language so almost everybody has taken english classes. The system is not so great (teachers always focus on translating and since the grammar is not the same as spanish it gets quite difficult learning that way), so not everybody really learn the language, but it is the most common. Then comes french, it is the second language in a few schools too. And I think, the third most common would be german. But, sadly, my country is not well known for the foreign languages the general population know.

Personally, I've been all my life studying english. From 6 to 14 I went to an academy with native british teachers. No translation, we had to learn as british children learn their own language. Then I went for an official not-universitary title, and by the time I started University I had gotten it. Since then I practice by myself, watching movies and series, reading books and talking (or writting) to people, like here. And travelling whenever I can (not very often)! Believe me, when you are all alone in a train station in London, waiting for a train to a small village where you have a reservation in the one and only hotel at the village, that hotel closses its door at 10pm, it is 8 pm, and you find out that your train will take 4 hours in getting there... you learn a LOT of english!  ;D
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 03:09:24 AM »
Believe me, when you are all alone in a train station in London, waiting for a train to a small village where you have a reservation in the one and only hotel at the village, that hotel closses its door at 10pm, it is 8 pm, and you find out that your train will take 4 hours in getting there... you learn a LOT of english!  ;D

That's pretty much the scenario in which I had to start learning Spanish for real :) (and I had just a very basic travellig language guide)! Except that it was in San Sebastián and I was heading to a remote village in Asturias …
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 03:57:44 AM »
That's it, I should travel more !
In the same situation, I probably would've ended up sleeping in the train station...  :-\

Offline Dries

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 02:34:58 PM »
The reason I learned english is I didn't like learning Dutch... wich is the second (well, it's actually the first, but I'm a french speaker...) language in Belgium.

Pity you don't speak Flemish – my home language is Afrikaans, which is quite similar. We could have had all kinds of secret conversations  ;)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 02:58:34 PM »
The reason I learned english is I didn't like learning Dutch... wich is the second (well, it's actually the first, but I'm a french speaker...) language in Belgium.

Pity you don't speak Flemish – my home language is Afrikaans, which is quite similar. We could have had all kinds of secret conversations  ;)

Your natural language is Afrikaans? Say something, please. Like; I speack Afrikaans. You are awesome. You are smart. You are the best in the world.

Offline Dries

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 03:35:22 PM »

Your natural language is Afrikaans? Say something, please. Like; I speack Afrikaans. You are awesome. You are smart. You are the best in the world.

Ek praat Afrikaans. Jy is ongelooflik. Jy is slim. Jy is die beste in die wêreld!  :D

Offline Dries

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »
En nou gaan ek slaap...  ;D

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 05:31:42 PM »
En nou gaan ek slaap...  ;D

Bruh. Your Afrikaans is on point. I will go ahead and assume you didn't just say a bunch of mean things and slap a smiley face on the end and I shall now go ahead and say thank you :)

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 03:37:56 AM »
Oh wow, Dries ! I had no idea Afrikaans was so similar and yet so weirdly different from dutch.
What discouraged me the most is there are so many dialects and strongly different accents. I had learned a few things at school and then went on a field trip to Gent, and no one understood a thing I was trying to say and I couldn't understand anything in return either... So we just went on speaking english.
It's a shame, really. But I still have a pretty good passive understanding of the language (so I just went  :oreading the things you said on your previous posts  ;))

Offline Dries

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 09:19:03 AM »
What discouraged me the most is there are so many dialects and strongly different accents.

True that – while I can read and (to a lesser extent) speak Dutch, I find spoken Dutch hard to understand.

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 01:37:50 PM »
I was born in California and have always lived here. I'm Mexican-American and have always spoken English. Out of 5 kids, my parents would always say I was the "white kid of the family" because I knew very little Spanish. So in High School, I signed up for French as my foreign-language elective course. By the 2nd year I thought I should really be taking Spanish, so I signed up for it. After the first quarter of that class, I asked to drop and enroll into French 2. LOL. The Spanish class was so difficult for me!! I ended up taking 3 years of French. I eventually learned Spanish on my own and through work - I worked in marketing and advertising and my focus was small businesses in Spanish-language radio.  ;) ;D

Do you speak English? - fluent
Hablas Español? - fluent
Parlez-vous français? - basics from High School (MANY years ago!! LOL)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 01:42:59 PM »
I was born in California and have always lived here. I'm Mexican-American and have always spoken English. Out of 5 kids, my parents would always say I was the "white kid of the family" because I knew very little Spanish. So in High School, I signed up for French as my foreign-language elective course. By the 2nd year I thought I should really be taking Spanish, so I signed up for it. After the first quarter of that class, I asked to drop and enroll into French 2. LOL. The Spanish class was so difficult for me!! I ended up taking 3 years of French. I eventually learned Spanish on my own and through work - I worked in marketing and advertising and my focus was small businesses in Spanish-language radio.  ;) ;D

Do you speak English? - fluent
Hablas Español? - fluent
Parlez-vous français? - basics from High School (MANY years ago!! LOL)

Oui, je parle français, merci beaucoup. Comment-allez vous? Est-ce que vous parlez français? À bientôt -- je passe un examen aujourd'hui. Au revoir!

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 01:56:55 PM »
Oui, je parle français, merci beaucoup. Comment-allez vous? Est-ce que vous parlez français? À bientôt -- je passe un examen aujourd'hui. Au revoir!

Bonjour!! Oui, oui! Je suis très bien!

French has similarities with Spanish. For example, you said "je passe un examen aujourd'hui" which means "I passed an exam today" and in Spanish it would be "yo pasé un examen hoy (OR el dia de hoy)" - see the similarities between French & Spanish? That's why my French instructor told me it "came easy to me" and called me her "French Queen Bee" LOL