Author Topic: Practicing when tired  (Read 914 times)

Offline neriah

• View Profile
Practicing when tired
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:21:02 AM »
Hi!

So, I have a problem with finding practice time. For some time I was practicing every day for at least 20 minutes (doing drills based on SMK's tutorial). But as of last week, I don't do that any more. My band+choir got unique opportunity to record a CD so instead of one rehearsal weekly, now I have three + recording in the studio. And that with full time job takes a lot of time.

I still can find those 20 minutes of time but I have a problem with being tired. After 8 hours at work + 2-3 hours rehearsal when I'm finally home I can't focus. And my calligraphy looks bad. When I am really really tired my hands get a bit shaky which makes it impossible to practice. But even if I am not that tired, I still find it hard to do calligraphy. Even when not tired I had good and bad days, but this is far worse than usual bad day.

How do you deal with these situations? Should I just give up on daily practice and rather find an hour two times a week when I'll arrange everything so I am not tired and can practice? Or is there something else I can practice that requires less focus?

Thanks!

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Practicing when tired
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:50:48 AM »
Try practicing with pencil on lined paper or graph paper.
Maybe choose a different style and work with monoline or markers.
There is a lot of benefit to working with different materials and different styles.
IMHO, when people are so focused on one style and one set of materials, they miss out on some of the fun of experimenting.
Remember recess at school?
Playtime can be a very nice balance to formal, structured practice.

Offline neriah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:55:08 AM »
That is great idea, thank you!

I do have a set of brush markers which I bought so someday I can play with them. For some reason when I think of practice I associate it with structured, never thought of it as play time and exploring. Now I can't wait for those 20 minutes of letting my inner child play with some paper and colors :)

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 11:59:05 AM »
Maybe use your lunch hour when you're less tired.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 02:11:10 PM »
I can relate with a full-time job that is 50+ hours/week, and my free time these past few months has been putting portfolios/applications together and applying for a new position (fingers crossed, but competition is really tough in academia), I am rarely squeezing in daily practice. Study time, which I think is even more important, has been near-nil unfortuanately. When I do pick up my pen, I do as Jean suggests: I play. Sometimes when I'm really tired, oddly, I am most creative because the self-control brakes are weaker than normal. Science does back that up: being tired increases creative thinking. Plus, for me, calligraphy puts me in a meditative state and is the ultimate way to unplug and unwind before bed, so I really do try to pick up my pen no matter how tired, and even if only for a few minutes. During the busy time, I show myself compassion. I am not as critical as I am when I am studying in earnest. My advice would be to go with the flow of your day. To not have time for calli because you're busy with other matters (a CD!? How cool is that!!!) is a big difference from being lazy and not practicing because 'you don't feel like it' and watching Netflix instead (not that there's anything wrong with that on occasion either!). If you're too tired to pick up the pen at night, picking up a calli book to study instead is another option. But no matter what, try not to put so much pressure on yourself. Calligraphy is a neverending journey with different speeds of progression. You won't always be this busy, and will have more time to devote to the art after that CD. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:14:12 PM by Starlee »
Star

Offline neriah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 04:01:06 AM »
@tintenfuchs - that is cool idea, but unfortunately here in Croatia we only het half an hour and I spend most of it in the office kitchen eating and socializing with my collagues. Even if I'd stop doing that, there is still no place where I can be alone. I believe they wouldn't mind me writing, but for sure half of them would be peeking over my shoulder :)

@Starlee - I myslef struggle to pick pen up only for a few minutes, somehow it seems so short that I just give up. I should change that, those few minutes is still more than zero :)