Author Topic: Running out of ink  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Doesy

• View Profile
Running out of ink
« on: March 12, 2017, 09:13:16 PM »
So, having stutter started flourishing months ago only to give it up (also months ago) as way beyond my skillset I've been tempted again. I was leafing aimlessly through Fascinating Pen Flourishing and somehow meandered over to my desk, pulled out pen and paper, opened a bottle of ink and started exercise 1 (all this while brushing my teeth).

The teeth brushing part was probably a bad idea (this is how I chew up and mangle brushes).

Anyway, there I was trying to smooth out my ovals, reading the text that indicated you should use a firm stroke for the shaded portions and aim for 100 ovals (or shaded portions) per minute. Yikes! I tried counting the shaded strokes as I drew them but I had to stop every 8-10 ovals to re-ink. Definitely not condusive to 100 ovals per minute. I cheated and jammed an ink reservoir from a broad edge nib onto my pointed nib. This way I could draw about 30 ovals before I needed to re-ink.

I started wondering - how do people get their nibs to hold the amount of ink needed for large/long flourishes? Am I running out of ink quickly because I'm moving the pen fairly slowly? When people flourish do they preplan multiple start/end points with re-inking in mind so that they don't run out of ink mid swell?

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Running out of ink
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »
As I recall, the amount of ink that a nib will hold depends on the nib. Some of them hold more than others. The type of ink makes a difference. The paper makes a difference. I do not do enough flourishing to recommend a perfect nib, ink , paper combination. Hopefully someone else on the forum will respond.

I am guessing that the speed does make a difference, but would like to hear from others. When you are going back and forth between shades and no shades, I don't think you can go as fast as the flourishing that is entirely non-shaded.

As far as planning ahead for starts, stops, and joins - IMHO that is something that comes with practice. As you get good at flourishing, you get better at knowing when to stop to reload the pen and also how to make a join if you run out of ink in the middle of a stroke. In my years of taking workshops and watching demos, I've seen a variety of techniques. Most of us try everything we see and settle in on the things that work.

To build consistency, it is helpful to do some of the drills with a pencil. That way you do not have to do any stopping and starting. You can see some variation in the line when you apply pressure - which indicates where the shades would be.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 02:10:50 PM »
Yes.. it depends on the nib.. a smaller 303 won't hold as much ink as a Principal or something bigger. Also what paper were you using? A lower quality paper like copy paper will soak up more ink. Are you also applying pressure? That also uses up ink. And going too slow? Going too slow will cause ink to flow more cos of gravity... thicker ink will last longer than thinner ink too.. either way re-inking is probably inevitable but fixing the above combinations may help.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 07:09:22 PM »
I wonder how an Ink Cage nib would do for flourishing?  In our tests, we found you can write 3-5 times longer with the Ink Cage.  You can find the Ink Cage nibs here http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=N204

Offline vonking1980

• View Profile
    • MyAmari
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:13:43 AM »
I second @JohnNealBooks with the Ink Cage. I haven't done a ton of flourishing, but my Nikko G ink cage was fantastic for drills. I'm not sure how it is on the Leonardt as far as hairlines and such, but if you are just looking to do the motions and not so worried about thin/thickness, Ink Cage would be a good way to go.

Offline Myles Ink Calligraphy

• View Profile
    • Myles Ink
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 06:23:52 AM »
Here's a gorgeous little trick. If you're really desperate, use scotch tape and tape across the shoulders of your nib. Dip the nib and you should have a reservoir of ink that will last very long graceful strokes.
To miss a mark is to sin.
Et Hoc Transibit
Write on!

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 09:39:59 AM »
@Myles Ink Calligraphy :  What??  Can you post a photo of what you are suggesting??

@JohnNealBooks :  I purchased your ink cage nibs & I am SO happy with them!  They hold so much ink & are a joy to write with!  I have an upcoming birthday & I'm hoping that I'll get one of the new Brause EF66 ink cage nibs that are supposed to be available soon!  ;D

Janis

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 06:20:09 PM »
@JanisTX I've read about the tape trick for broad edge nibs, but have never tried it for pointed nibs.... although I did once try to fix a reservoir to a pointed nib.... and was completely unsuccessful!!!

Offline Myles Ink Calligraphy

• View Profile
    • Myles Ink
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 01:05:11 AM »

I hope this gives you a good visualization...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/idm3S25cxIrgIgZs1

@Myles Ink Calligraphy :  What??  Can you post a photo of what you are suggesting??

@JohnNealBooks :  I purchased your ink cage nibs & I am SO happy with them!  They hold so much ink & are a joy to write with!  I have an upcoming birthday & I'm hoping that I'll get one of the new Brause EF66 ink cage nibs that are supposed to be available soon!  ;D

Janis

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:08:57 AM by Myles Ink Calligraphy »
To miss a mark is to sin.
Et Hoc Transibit
Write on!

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
@Myles Ink Calligraphy :  Hmmm...... Thanks for the photo link!  I think that will work generally the same as the "ink cages" that @JohnNealBooks is selling.  Ingenious!

Janis