Author Topic: Greetings from Northumberland, England  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Nicola

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Greetings from Northumberland, England
« on: August 28, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »
Hello folks...

By day I'm a Collections Management Assistant in an academic library which is a fancy way of saying I'm a librarian!  Calligraphy and the pointed pen scripts have always caught my eye but whenever I've attempted the later in the past I always come undone once I start using nib and ink.  So as the nights draw in I've decided to overcome my fear of the pointed pen and ink once and for all.  After some research I've decided to ease myself into learning Business Penmanship with a fountain pen to overcome my fears.  Alas, I know nothing about either so will be researching Business Penmanship exemplars and the technical side of fountain pens so you will no doubt see me lurking and asking questions over the coming months. 

Take care all...

Offline A Smug Dill

• Freshman Member
  • 三人行必有我師焉
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from Northumberland, England
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 02:36:16 AM »
G'day, Nicola! From one new forum member to another, welcome!

I too am firstly interested in using fountain pens with some flair in my handwriting (once I've tidied up my typical chicken scratch), especially using my personal preference of F and EF nibs with which the production of line variation relies more on the user's hand than the nibs' flexibility. Maybe I'll need to venture out to broad nibs, stub nibs, music nibs, et cetera some day, but for now all ‘my’ fountain pens that write broader than a typical Japanese medium (with the exception of my two Sailor pens with Naginata Concord nibs) have made their way into my fiancée's pen collection.

OK, that's not strictly true; I'm still struggling as to whether to pass my Pilot Custom Heritage pens with SFM (soft fine medium) and FA (Falcon) nibs to her. Those pens sorta irk me with how they write normally, even though both are capable of producing far finer lines than, say, my Pilot Custom 74 with a #5 SF nib.

What do you prefer to use?

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 06:54:02 AM »