Author Topic: Adapting images for print  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Benson Coleman

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Adapting images for print
« on: May 07, 2018, 03:33:11 PM »
So recently a company reached out to me and said they wanted to feature some of my artwork in their upcoming publication (yay!) and asked if I could send them some images of my work. In order for it to be printed they said the requirements are: 1) They need to be JPEG or TIFF format 2) Maximum of 250mm in width 3) and minimum of 300 DPI.

I've tried sending my images to them three separate times and each time they say that they're too pixelated and need to be rescanned. So, my question is do any of you guys have any recommendations on how best to turn your physical pieces of artwork into digital images that don't go all fuzzy?

I've been taking photos of my work with my Canon DSLR camera and touching them up in a program called Pixelmator. The first couple of tries I was taking the photos in JPEG format on my camera but with this last attempt I realized I should probably be taking them in RAW format (I'm still waiting to hear back from them on whether that round of images worked out). If it comes back negative (and since now time is of the essence with deadlines and such) I'm taking my work of to FedEx Office to have them professionally scanned to meet the requirements.

But for future knowledge, is there a better way I can go about it at home? I'm thinking upgrading from Pixelmator to Photoshop would be a solid step one...

Thans for the advice,

Benosn

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
Re: Adapting images for print
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 04:34:09 PM »
In my opinion you should really get a scanner for at home, if you can Taking a picture of your work with a dslr is never going to be as good because it’s hard to get a straight parallel shot and unless you’re using a good tripod, your going to get hand-shake too, which will introduce blurriness.

Offline JohnK

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 07:48:46 PM »
I agree with the suggestion to get a scanner.  I have been using an Epson V600 scanner for about a year now, and it is easy to use and produces great quality scans.  It might even be more economical than the photoshop solution in the long run.  And I keep finding unexpected uses for it; it is a very versatile and useful machine.

Just a thought....

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 10:42:01 PM »
Yes, definitely a scanner, and I also recommend the Epson V series - I use the Epson Perfection V800 for all of my calligraphy and paintwork. 

Also check to see if your email isn't shrinking down the files when you send them.  If they look to spec on your end, but are arriving to your recipient in lo-res, it could be your email automatically reducing the size(if you have dropbox, try sending a link to the file).  Either way, a scanner will make your life easier if you plan to create more digital files of your work going forward.

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 04:43:58 AM »
I agree with everything Bianca mentioned, including checking on whether your email service is cutting your quality due to size limitations.  I can't speak to Epson scanners, but I've always had pretty good results with HP models (currently the HP Deskjet F4480).  The included software these days is rubbish, but it sounds like you have solutions for that.  Adobe had Photoshop CS2 available for free several years back, and it's honestly the only artwork or calligraphy digital editing tool I've used in ages, though I'm sure there are other good ones out there.

Let us know how things turn out!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 11:08:37 PM »
Great suggestions so far! I would suggest Photoshop Elements to get started. It is fairly robust and probably all you need.

Also, all digital cameras are not "finished" straight out of the camera. They need a small amount of post-processing to adjust light and remove haze, etc. This is akin to what the photo processing stores would do with your film. No matter how good your exposure is, you will most likely still need a bit of tweaking - especially if you are photographing artwork with say a white paper background.

If you are still having trouble, shoot me a PM and I can try to help (I have been a professional photographer for years). You can send me the originals and I can adjust an crop appropriately.

BTW, Congrats on the feature!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Arabic calligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 01:41:24 AM »
In regards to digitizing your calligraphy work, I have a few suggestions that may help get higher quality scans without the fuzziness:

Taking photos in RAW format is a good move, as RAW captures more image data than JPEG. This will give you more flexibility in post-processing.

Make sure to take photos in a well-lit area with soft, diffuse lighting to avoid harsh shadows or glare. Daylight near a window is ideal.

Use a tripod to keep the camera steady and avoid any camera shake when shooting. Even a basic tripod can help.

Consider investing in a scanner dedicated for artwork if you plan to digitize pieces regularly. Flatbed or overhead scanners are designed specifically for capturing detailed artwork and documents with higher dpi than a regular printer scanner.

Photoshop would be a step up from Pixelmator for post-processing scans and photos. Things like selective adjustment layers and tone curves can help bring out detail and reduce graininess.

When scanning or photographing, fill as much of the frame as possible with your artwork. Cropping unnecessarily in post can cause more loss of quality.

Hope this helps provide some suggestions! Let me know if taking photos in RAW format or trying a dedicated scanner helps resolve the fuzziness issue. Upgrading your software and equipment over time can make a big difference.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 10:39:24 AM »
Excellent tips! Lots has changed since 2018. I would recommend Adobe Lightroom Classic as an excellent way to view WYSWYG (what you see is what you get). And I find much easier than learning photoshop.

I particularly like your tip to capture the whole artwork. However, I would caution to be ware of perspective if photographing versus scanning. Scanning will capture the full rectangle while a photograph will create some skewing even if directly on. :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram