Author Topic: Why did you start calligraphy?  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Dries

• View Profile
Re: Why did you start calligraphy?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 02:44:05 AM »
I've  been fascinated with decorative lettering as long as I can remember, and in my early 20s I decided to teach myself calligraphy. My study material was a 21st edition Speedball Text Book (which, sadly, I have long since misplaced), as well as various books by Margaret Shepherd, Tom Gourdie and Arthur Baker.

As other interests developed, I gradually lost interest in calligraphy and eventually totally stopped. Then, a few years ago, I bought my first iPad and discovered Etienne Nguyen's Calligraphy Art app. That rekindled (no hidden pun intended) my interest, and it wasn't long before I replaced my long-lost pens and nibs.

I do it purely for my own pleasure, so I (almost) never accept commissions or charge people for my work Ė that way it remains an enjoyable hobby rather than become a job.

Offline emmarose329

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • CalligraPhilly
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 06:41:05 AM »
I'd always loved the act of physically writing and had decent cursive (there's something so satisfying about creating something on paper), so when my wedding was coming up, I decided I would teach myself what amounted to passable "calligraphy" to save money on the invitations.

Turns out that I had a bit of a knack for it and completely fell in love! I opened my formal business, CalligraPhilly (based out of Philadelphia) in the summer of 2017 and it's been a godsend with extra income during my husband's slow season at work! I've taken on a few private lesson students that have been so much fun to teach and get to know.

The bonus, which I wasn't expecting, is getting to meet so many lovely calligraphers in real life and on Instagram/Flourish Forum! I'm hoping to be able to attend IAMPETH this year if we can make the money work and meet some of you lovely people in person!

Offline Mary_M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 03:52:46 PM »
Iíve loved writing ever since I won a handwriting award from my Sister Paula Marie in 2nd grade. I had a lot of pen pals as a kid and used to blatantly copy their cursive letterforms if I liked them...seems kind of obnoxious now actually. In 3rd grade my best friend and I wrote each other notes backwards writing. I can still do that too.  In college my roommate had a Platignmum Italic pen set. She had taken some classes and I thought the writing was quite beautiful. I found a set in a stationery store, bought it and taught myself italic hand. I donít do much italic writing now as Iíve been trying to learn & improve Copperplate for years. Next up is Spencerian! I also make Pysanky, Ukrainian Easter eggs, which are written on real eggs with beeswax. Truly there is always some form of writing going on with me - even if itís just making lists.