Author Topic: Where do you write?  (Read 926 times)

Offline matteherr

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Where do you write?
« on: March 10, 2019, 05:09:51 PM »
This is my writing corner. I've mixed a modern office chair for comfort with a 1900's drop-front writing desk, and a poster to remind me to never let cursive disappear.

I'd love to see anyone else's creative space!

Online TeresaS

• View Profile
Re: Where do you write?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »
Nice!  I don't have a desk or anything, even though I would love to have one.  I use the kitchen table... during the warmer months there is a small table in our living room that I like to use, but right now that room is closed off to save on heat.     
Teresa

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 07:49:19 AM »
I would love my own work space, but at the moment I use our dining table.

I need to work on hubby to get the spare room sorted for me as my supplies are taking over

Diane

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »
Lovely work space! It looks so inviting and warm.  ;D

Over the years I have used everything from the kitchen table, lapdesk, to where I am now. It's a dream every day to work in this space!
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 11:02:23 AM »
Oh my goodness Erica, I want to come and live with you.  You work space is amazing

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 04:35:26 PM »
Beautiful work spaces!! I write at my dining table, I do have a craft space which I share with my sonsí Lego and itís definitely more utilitarian than interior design.  I like to papercraft too, but I do that standing up!
Nikki x

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 08:56:10 PM »
Thanks @Diane Bennett ! If youíre ever in southwest FL, stop on by!  ;D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Moose

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 05:20:04 PM »
I mostly write at a local coffee shop. Their tables are a very nice height and it's a relaxing environment where I can get a good cup of coffee or tea and concentrate for a while.

I don't have a really comfortable place at home to write except my desk, and I work from home, so I spend way too much time there. I like to get away from the desk for a bit most days. This was a problem for me for a while as I was not practicing or writing anything much. A place and a set time to do work was good to get me started again.

When I very first began working on my handwriting a couple years ago I used to have to do it with my cat pressed up against me, a paw or two sprawled across an arm, and a tail swishing across the writing surface when she got annoyed. Which was often. All the books on handwriting I read, all of the the discussion of how to hold a pen and the correct posture, but not one of them every told me how to deal with the cat! The whole annoying process became a nightly habit and we'd write a bit every evening, practice, journal writing, and letters to send to friends. But after the cat died (plus some other life changes leaving me with nobody to write to) it was enough of a disruption that I fell out of that habit. However annoying it was to write with a tail on the page, it was part of the process.

So eventually I decided to get back to calligraphy and practice somewhere else. These days, I have a habit of spending an hour, a few nights a week after work, doing some sort of writing. I'll sometimes practice my movements at home at the desk, but the vast majority of my writing to date has been actual creative writing, not calligraphy, so grabbing my paper and pens and heading out was easy when this started. When I got back to Calligraphy, I found dinky dips and discovered walnut ink for practice, so I can just bring a pen holder and a dinky dip or two full of the walnut ink I made and just go for it. I was worried I'd look too hipster at first, but most people around here know I'm weird so nobody even looks at me twice anymore. The woman who does the chalkboards at the shop is super supportive (and talented at block print and modern calligraphy, though she doesn't admit it). And the owners love hand-written work so all of their menu boards and signage is hand-painted, which I find inspiring.

Offline matteherr

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 05:44:37 PM »
Moose, all I can say is thank you for your openness. I also spend time on the couch with my cat beside me rather than the desk. I wish I had a quite coffee shop to do that. Sometimes it's nice to be alone, in public.

Offline Mary_M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
Moose, maybe it's time to adopt a new cat? Think of all the silent criticism (paw swipes and tail swishes) you're missing out on.

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 03:02:55 PM »
Beautiful office spaces! I currently use the kitchen table, but I plan to buy an ink-proof, paint-proof desk later this year. Yes, I am a klutz.  :)

Offline Moose

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 04:03:43 PM »
It's not time. It might be some time before I have space and energy for a new pet. Had that one for 20 years and it was freakishly attached to me. I'm not a cat person, actually. Not that cats care about that. I was supposed to foster that one for a couple of weeks and couldn't give her away because she bonded to me and hated everyone else, so... yeah.

My point for writing spaces was to find places that are comfortable, and build good habits around them. My calligraphy kind of sucks, but my daily handwriting became legible by having a comfortable (if somewhat hair infested) space and a regular time to do some pencil practice with the Spencerian practice books. My creative writing has improved by time boxing an hour or two a few days a week at my coffee shop. When I was practicing the calligraphy I did the same, and made slow but steady progress only when I was doing it a few days a week. I still think 15 minutes a day is better than 2 hours once every week or two, and nothing good happens fast so you need a habit of regular practice to get anywhere.

That's why this topic interests me. I like to know where people are working. Especially folks who do this for production or a lot more than I do. Space is a part of habit. Creative spaces where you do a thing become a trigger for actually doing that thing -- sit at a nice desk with good light and write every other day, and sitting at that desk will eventually actually set your mind into the writing mode.