Author Topic: Dreaming In Script - A comprehensive training program for Engrosser's Script  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Masgrimes

• Freshman Member
  • Enjoying the process.
    • View Profile
    • Masgrimes Studio
Hey Everyone!

I wanted to share a bit about my online program dedicated to Engrosser's Script. I hope those of you interested in pursuing competency in this style will consider giving it a look!

Before we get started, I do have some need+merit-based scholarships available, so if you're not in a position to support the course but really think you'd get a lot out of it, please send me an email. david@Masgrimes.com

What is Dreaming In Script?

I started developing a curriculum for teaching ES a few years ago when I traveled around the US teaching Engroser's Script in single day workshops. I learned a lot in those classes. Mostly what I learned was that I didn't have a great way to get everything I wanted to talk about packed into an 8-hour class. Some people seemed to get a lot out of those workshops...others might have felt rushed. I knew I wanted to be making something that supported multiple learning styles, so I kept revising and looking for new inspiration in how to teach script.

Over the years, I've come up with a few different methods and models that I think really expand on what Lupfer talks about in the beginning pages of the Zanerian Manual. Regardless of the debate surrounding the differences between copperplate, roundhand, ES, etc. my frame of reference has always been American penmen. I'm interested in how they used their own variation of this centuries-old hand and the style is unique enough that it stands out to me as the most beautiful. I love this script.

https://i.imgur.com/f7NzCew.jpg See that ^ in HD.

So I started developing Dreaming In Script by running a series of 12-week classes at my studio in Hillsboro, Oregon. I tested the full curriculum with six different students privately for twelve weeks. Refined some more, and then set out to make this course.

What does the course look like?

The twelve sections follow a pretty straight-forward and logical progression. I can outline them simply by breaking them into thirds.

1/3: This third of the course focuses on developing a frame of reference for the ensuing practice. You learn about some history, strokes, pen control. We start by setting up expectations and helping to develop an eye for what kind of fidelity you're looking for in your strokes. The students in the course regularly come back to this section after making it through to later areas of the curriculum. It helps to digest these models and ideas several times.

2/3: This second third of the course focuses on developing your understanding of the minuscule forms, which are assembled from things we learn in the first section. We introduce some aspects of stylistic variation. I don't mean flourishing, I mean hunting down specimens of writing from various penmen and adopting big picture styles. There is a lot of variation in historical specimens and you can have a number of different influences that make ES look radically different from one penman to the next.

3/3 This last third of the course focuses on the Majuscule forms, writing, and several small projects. I really wanted to take students through to a point where they feel like they can employ their writing for its utility. The projects at the end are set up as role-play scenarios where you are a penman from the early 20th century, and you're being tasked with a project for a certain reason. Kinda fun!

---

If any of this sounds like something you're interested in, please feel free to head over to Dreaming In Script and take a look. There are a couple of preview lessons available so you can see what they look like. Each lesson tends to have some combination of videos, diagrams, and essays. I include quite a few scans from my personal collection and those are all presented in super high-resolution so that you can get into the details and see what these old penmen were up to while they were setting our generation up for all of the incredible work that we're going to be doing over the next few decades. I get excited just thinking about it!

Here's a link. Thanks for reading!

http://bit.ly/DIS_FF

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:02:55 PM by Erica McPhee »
David Grimes — Penman

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
I have seen some of your students' progress work on Instagram and I can attest your program is really fostering some incredible improvement and beautiful work! Thanks for sharing!   :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Masgrimes

• Freshman Member
  • Enjoying the process.
    • View Profile
    • Masgrimes Studio
Hey Erica!

Thank you! Dr. Joe said something similar to me and I've got to admit, I think the program attracts people with a strong aptitude already. I feel very lucky to have students that are so receptive to the method, as their work has been helping me to improve the course since we began. It's fun to know that students are out there making names for themselves, and I'm sure we have several that will really stick with it. :)
David Grimes — Penman

Offline neriah

• View Profile
I just have to say that this course is the best thing I ever did for my calligraphy. Course is incredibly detailed and lets you go through materials at your own pace. I still haven’t done last lessons because I am going through Majuscules again. I go back to materials very often and I see something new every time I do that. I am looking forward to getting to small projects part, but I don’t want to rush it.

David is awesome instructor, and community he created is awesome as well. You will never feel alone in your struggles and there is always someone you can discuss things with and practice with. I can’t recommend this course enough :)

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
Need to find if I can delete my own writing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:59:05 AM by lyric »
Cheerfully,
Lyric