Author Topic: Calligraphy Goals for 2020  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Calligraphy Goals for 2020
« on: December 30, 2019, 10:14:09 AM »
I love New Years because I enjoy planning and setting goals. I have a lot of goals for 2020, both personal and professional. Professionally, I hope to finish my book which has become quite the albatross due to day-to-day life.

But personally, I would like to work on my brush lettering. I have stopped everything but pointed pen for the past couple of years and would really like to do some brush work again.

I would also like to learn more of the ins and outs of ProCreate. I enjoy using it in black and white for reproduction work but would like to really get into the colors and different techniques that can be done with lettering.

Anyone else set any calligraphy goals for 2020?  :D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Calligraphy Goals for 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 10:56:17 AM »
I love New Years because I enjoy planning and setting goals. I have a lot of goals for 2020, both personal and professional. Professionally, I hope to finish my book which has become quite the albatross due to day-to-day life.

But personally, I would like to work on my brush lettering. I have stopped everything but pointed pen for the past couple of years and would really like to do some brush work again.

I would also like to learn more of the ins and outs of ProCreate. I enjoy using it in black and white for reproduction work but would like to really get into the colors and different techniques that can be done with lettering.

Anyone else set any calligraphy goals for 2020?  :D
I, too, love this time of year, both for reviewing the past year's results and setting new goals for the future. I find having a clear goal enables me to direct my efforts better. Part of the goal setting for me has to involve setting a goal that is in some way quantifiable, so I can (hopefully) see when or if I have met my goal. In some things, that's easy. Take running for example, which I do. It's one thing to say I'd like to become a better runner in 2020. Better, is to say I would like to run x distance in Y minutes by such and such a date (with intermediate steps along the way, also defined). For big goals, which might take years to accomplish, those intermediate goals are very important to keep my enthusiasm up.
Now in the artistic world, this goal setting can be a little tricky. Your finishing your book in 2020, Erica, is a great goal--you have a time frame, when it's finished you'll know it and have met your goal, no doubt with a sense of accomplishment.
I'll not bore the forum with my non-penmanship goals, but regards penmanship, one goal is to be able to write better Spencerian. Now, that's pretty fuzzy. Every little improvement, could be viewed as having met the goal, yet the goal remains the same. I'll need to refine this goal, to make it more objective, to make it so that I have mileposts along the way that can be accomplished, maybe hours per day of practise, or amount of pages done, or finished pieces or some such. Or perhaps work reviewed and critiqued--to be said to be better by someone qualified to critique such work. Difficult to explain. Anyway, that's just one goal. I have others under consideration, too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:58:13 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
That is such a great point Mike! I just read an excellent article 15 Ways to Prepare for a Successful New Year . What struck me was the quantifying and specificity of it. Surprisingly (to myself) I had never done that. Nor set goals in terms of measurable success (other than the typical lose XX pounds by X date kind of thing).

Like you said, calligraphy is a bit more arbitrary but I am going to determine a few goals in terms of time (because making time to do it is always the most difficult part for me). That way I can say I accomplished that goal.

Thanks for posting the idea!
Truly, Erica

Offline Mary_M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 09:56:22 AM »
I'm not sure I have real, quantifiable goals, but I have desires! The vaguest goal (desire) is to improve my letter forms, consistency and spacing in Copperplate. How's that for vague? I'd also like to get back to writing in Italic again, which was my first introduction to Calligraphy and which I can barely seem to manage now. And I'd like to try to learn Spencerian.
I want to understand paper. I've read lots of advice about which kinds of papers to use but the explanations of weights & textures never seems to sink in. I want to figure out my preferred x height and be able to draw guidelines without staring at an envelope for 20 minutes and puzzling over it.
I want to read more about illuminated manuscripts and the history of writing, and then I want to be able to absorb what I've read so I can randomly spout information back to uninterested people so they'll label me as some sort of calligraphy-savante, instead of just the middle aged cat lady that I am.
I want to add to my growing collection of vintage penmanship/calligraphy books and accessories while still maintaining the Marie Kondo aesthetic that's more appropriate for this stage of my life.
I want to have some examples of decent work, rather than just a pile of sadness ready for the recycling bin.
I want to be able to get the Brause Rose nib I have to write. I've only ever managed a small ink blob.
I want to take an actual class, because I never have.
I want to train myself to sit upright and bask in the discomfort of not being able to see what I'm writing because of my poor vision and progressive lenses.
I want to try writing with a real quill.

Offline Amalie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »
I have four goals:
1) Experiment with basic calligraphy  tools. By the end of 2020, I want to have tried at least 3 types of nibs, 2 types of ink, found a practice paper Iím happy with, and try 2 types of ďniceĒ paper
2) Learn the basics of Spencerian
3) Participate in one exchange. My calligraphy is very bad right now (it wasnít horrific prior to a nerve injury to my dominant hand, but Iím essentially starting over from scratch now) and I havenít been able to convince myself that itís good enough for participation.
4) Take pictures of my work/progress. I donít have pictures of my work prior to my nerve injury because I didnít think it was good enough to document and share, and everything I thought was good enough to keep was destroyed when a burst pipe flooded my apartment.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 04:37:11 PM »
1) try Spencerian again.  I don't know why I can't stick with it!
2) pick Uncial back up.  I haven't done it in years!
3) STOP. BUYING. VINTAGE. NIBS.  I have enough nibs to last a lifetime.  I have to stop.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 11:28:29 AM »
3) STOP. BUYING. VINTAGE. NIBS.  I have enough nibs to last a lifetime.  I have to stop.
@Bianca M
Good luck with that.
You must have at least nibs for three lifetimes before you can stop buying.
However, if you have too many Gillott 604ef's, I'm willing to lighten the load.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 11:34:49 AM »
I have four goals:
1) Experiment with basic calligraphy  tools. By the end of 2020, I want to have tried at least 3 types of nibs, 2 types of ink, found a practice paper Iím happy with, and try 2 types of ďniceĒ paper
2) Learn the basics of Spencerian
3) Participate in one exchange. My calligraphy is very bad right now (it wasnít horrific prior to a nerve injury to my dominant hand, but Iím essentially starting over from scratch now) and I havenít been able to convince myself that itís good enough for participation.
4) Take pictures of my work/progress. I donít have pictures of my work prior to my nerve injury because I didnít think it was good enough to document and share, and everything I thought was good enough to keep was destroyed when a burst pipe flooded my apartment.
@Amelie
In my opinion, the easiest and most efficient way to start on the right foot is to order Michael Sull's kit. It is available at John Neal bookstore, which you can access via the supplies link at the top of the FF page-- "supplies page". When you go to JNB, type in "Sull kit" and it will come right up--K106 or K106-DVD.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 11:40:33 AM »
Good luck with that.
You must have at least nibs for three lifetimes before you can stop buying.
However, if you have too many Gillott 604ef's, I'm willing to lighten the load.

You know, you're right.  Disregard goal 3.

Edit: I sadly have no 604s!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 10:56:40 PM by Bianca M »

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 02:42:32 PM »
One of my 2020 goals is to get back into the Exchanges! They were such a pleasure to do in my early calligraphy years and I stopped after a while, but I remember they inspired a lot of creativity and brainstorming ideas.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 08:30:24 AM »
This is great @Mary_M ! You made me laugh out loud. I really like the idea of determining your perfect x height and developing envelope guidelines. I know exactly what you are talking about in terms of just staring at the blank envelope and puzzling. I now have a folder I have gathered over the years of envelope guides for all different sizes. I go to it frequently.

And in terms of x-height - it is so tricky. I have been perfecting the one I use for a couple of years and it's funny because the other day I saw a sample and I loved the look of it in terms of proportion. I tried to emulate the sample on my guide and it looked shorter. So I put the sample over my guide and low and behold it fit my guide exactly! However, my spacing was much wider so it made my letters look wider. I tightened it up a bit and voila! Such a great learning experience.  ;D

Regarding that Brause Rose - check out this excellent video from @schin :

I'm not sure I have real, quantifiable goals, but I have desires! The vaguest goal (desire) is to improve my letter forms, consistency and spacing in Copperplate. How's that for vague? I'd also like to get back to writing in Italic again, which was my first introduction to Calligraphy and which I can barely seem to manage now. And I'd like to try to learn Spencerian.
I want to understand paper. I've read lots of advice about which kinds of papers to use but the explanations of weights & textures never seems to sink in. I want to figure out my preferred x height and be able to draw guidelines without staring at an envelope for 20 minutes and puzzling over it.
I want to read more about illuminated manuscripts and the history of writing, and then I want to be able to absorb what I've read so I can randomly spout information back to uninterested people so they'll label me as some sort of calligraphy-savante, instead of just the middle aged cat lady that I am.
I want to add to my growing collection of vintage penmanship/calligraphy books and accessories while still maintaining the Marie Kondo aesthetic that's more appropriate for this stage of my life.
I want to have some examples of decent work, rather than just a pile of sadness ready for the recycling bin.
I want to be able to get the Brause Rose nib I have to write. I've only ever managed a small ink blob.
I want to take an actual class, because I never have.
I want to train myself to sit upright and bask in the discomfort of not being able to see what I'm writing because of my poor vision and progressive lenses.
I want to try writing with a real quill.
Truly, Erica

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »
@Amalie - Well quantified goals. I would encourage you to join an exchange any time! We have all skill levels - there is no judging, no competition. It is a great way to practice and participate and create something we ordinarily wouldn't.
Truly, Erica

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 08:44:58 AM »
LOL ... I have a *very* small collection of nibs. I tend to find a nib I like, buy a gross, and then stick with it for years.  ;D Those precious few I have of the real "special" ones are just too special to use. I keep waiting for that special project but really what is special enough for it? Ha ha!

I hope to get back to Spencerian in the second half of the year. Maybe we can start a study group on Flourish.  ;)

1) try Spencerian again.  I don't know why I can't stick with it!
2) pick Uncial back up.  I haven't done it in years!
Truly, Erica

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 08:46:16 AM »
YYESSSS! Do it!  ;D

One of my 2020 goals is to get back into the Exchanges! They were such a pleasure to do in my early calligraphy years and I stopped after a while, but I remember they inspired a lot of creativity and brainstorming ideas.
Truly, Erica

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 12:26:31 PM »
I hope to get back to Spencerian in the second half of the year. Maybe we can start a study group on Flourish.  ;)

I love this idea!