Author Topic: Is it Really Free?  (Read 34415 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Is it Really Free?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »
You are very welcome! And thank you, Sharon! Your message brought tears to my eyes. Now it is my turn to be humbled.  :) It's true - people come into and out of our lives at various times. I'm really happy to be able to be a part of facilitating new friendships as we all share and enjoy what we love! I look forward to getting to know you as well!  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 04:12:39 PM »
Erica - I just read your initial post in this thread and I'm so touched by your humanity.
You have provided such a cool place for all of us to learn from, not only you but from each other. You've brought the love of lettering from all over the world together. That is no small task! But even before I read your post in this thread I've known since I joined that you are a special person with a gift of bringing people together in a kind and loving way. You're a awesome person with a BIG heart and I feel blessed that god brought us to you. That sounds cooky I know but that how I feel.

Anyway no need to respond just wanted to share with you my thoughts.

Hugs,
Nickki
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »
I hadn't seen this before, Erica. (Till Nickki commented and bumped it up!) I love everything you said. You have a beautiful, generous outlook on life. So glad to hear you overcame your challenges and didn't let them overcome you. And so glad you started this forum. I really value the skill you have shared and the warm, caring atmosphere you have created. I wouldn't be where I am getting back into calligraphy without it!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:27:48 PM by Lori M »

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 10:48:43 PM »
Erica, thank you for setting up this forum and for your generosity in sharing. And also thank you to the regulars here who continually post and patiently answer questions us newbies have. Know that you are appreciated.

Offline treehugger9

• my name is ALICE ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 02:01:08 AM »
Erica, I would like to Thank you for sharing with us, with me, these tutorials.
As you said, somebody cannot pay 120€ for a very few hours of workshop at the local shop (I was asked that money for a lesson by a non professional calligrapher and I found it very wrong, but maybe it's me and I have a wrong idea).
By the way, I really can't afford that kind of workshops and lessons in this moment of my life: I hope in the future I will, but now I'm just a young student who'd like to learn something new, have a new non-expensive hobby, and without you and your tutorials I couldn't learn anything about this world. I really appreciate your generosity and everything you wrote in this topic.
It's really a pleasure and a fortune to have the possibility of learning listening to your tender and full of love voice.
THANK YOU.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 11:47:44 PM »
Thank you all so much! It really does make it all worthwhile to know it pleases others and brings happiness to everyone!  :)  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 12:57:36 AM »
I've been away for awhile but it's great to come back and see this place is HOPPING! You planted a seed, and see how much it's grown!

Thank you, Erica, for the incredibly dedicated hard work you do to help inspire the rest of us.
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 05:47:34 AM »
Thanks Erica for your forum, really. I hadn't wanted to post and give away my creeper stalker identity but reading your post about your kids and how calligraphy has always been your thing and how you want to pass on a skill you can never bring to your grave, I just had to say I really appreciate it, and I feel inspired by your drive.

I'm not some expert calligrapher or some dedicated forum poster so I doubt my words carry lots of strength (in fact, I always read the forums without logging in, even!) but it's things and moments like these that make me think 'I should work hard too!' People face problems, and it's the dark side of things people seldom want to discuss at length about, but there is that one thing that carries them through to the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's that spirit that I always find so beautiful, the strength that's born out of vulnerability.

You're absolutely right when calligraphy classes are expensive. In Singapore, it's common to have $200 dollars for 3 hour sessions on modern calligraphy and nobody is interested in traditional calligraphy, so much so that even art stores here don't sell enough materials for dip pens! This august I think Eleanor Winters herself is coming to give a 2 day workshop that costs a whopping $500. I ordered myself her book instead and kept to good tutorials like IAMPETH and other calligraphers have generously offered, for free, at a low cost. I'm still learning, with the only pointed nib I managed to secure (thank god Nikko G is hardy), but it's with the grace of good people who share their knowledge am I able to properly train myself without feeling inadequate because I can't afford to learn from fancy workshops and masters of their craft.

So thank you, and thank you all for offering such opportunities. I don't say it since I'm just bookmarking good pages for reference for my 'reading material', but really, I do appreciate you all for sharing your knowledge. I'm eager to learn, just really glad I can. :)

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
Pass the tissues...

Erica, you know how I feel.  I'm a huge believer that God allows people's paths to cross for a reason. 
I'm honored and blessed that with your schedule and responsibilities at home you still take out time to be personal with us.
You've ruined my mascara but I'm so happy to have read this.  I often pop in to the "farm" with little time to rove around.  I'm so happy that I did took extra time today. 
May the wind always be at your back.
Hugs and smooches,
Daisy
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 09:32:02 AM »
Thank you Brianna, Faeleia, and Daisy!

Faeleia - your gratitude carries as much strength as any! I so appreciate your kind words and your sharing them with me. I'm also glad you logged in because you can't see all the free video tutorials and print the free handouts without logging in! So be sure to check those out in the Pointed Pen Nirvana board. Enjoy your practice and let us know if we can help as you learn.  :)

Daisy - I do know. HUGS!  :-*  :) (Sorry about the mascara!  ;D)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline tangledpen

• View Profile
    • tangledpen
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »
Thank you Thank you, Erica!!! ...for providing such a great place to read around, meet like minded 'crazy ink and nib people' and of course for all those awesome tutorials!
I won't add too much here - everyone who wrote in this thread said it so perfectly well, I can't top that ;)

Thank you so much - Dankeschön - tack så mycket! :)
Jana

instagram.com/tangledpen

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 12:56:50 AM »
You're very welcome Jana! I appreciate your kind words.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Sharon_R

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 04:30:31 AM »
Hi Erica.....

Since the day I joined the forum, this is the second time I have visited and it is only now that I have read this post. So many things going on that I have not given much time to practicing calligraphy..... Your post brought tears to my eyes as well as flashbacks of various challenges that I have also had.... But with what you have been through and to still display this kind of generosity  with your gifts is just something out of this world. Kindness beyond the prettiest letters anyone can ever produce.

Thank you, Erica. Thank you.

Sharon
@swirlsandstrokes
@shawie_gram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 07:12:33 AM »
Dear Erica,

Thank you for providing the Forum!  It's a wonderful, caring place!  I have learned so much from you and the other "regulars"!  I also believe that God puts people in your path for a reason and I think that He used you to bring all of us together!  I am praying for you and your sweet family!

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 06:16:33 AM »
I haven't posted here before, but ...
Erica, this forum and the people here have grown so dear to me, thank you for providing a place to flourish. <3
Natascha
My Instagram