Author Topic: Copperplate Practice  (Read 130 times)

Offline lyric

• View Profile
Copperplate Practice
« on: May 25, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »
So, decided to try something different today.   Boy do I have mad respect for calligraphers that get "it" when it comes to spacing out a project.  Clearly it is out of my league . . . for now.

Therefore, I shall slink back to my Copperplate Foundations class, back to line after line; page after page after page after page of individual letters (for the class I am currently in).   I'm disappointed with this today [first photo].  Really thought it would have turned out nicer.  Ce la vie.

Writing words for practice which includes spacing is much more enjoyable.  Thanks Jean @jeanwilson .  I am doing that too.   ;D  I believe my entrance/exit strokes are fine [at least].  So I do not feel today's session was a total bust.

Onward and upward.
Scribbalicously yours, Lyric
Calligraphy Journey began 01.06.2020
Penwomanship began 10/2020 :-)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: Copperplate Practice
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 08:28:07 PM »
Yes! Great progress. A few tips:

Watch your guidelines. On the last page, the rows of m's you can see some places where you missed coming all the way up and a few places where you went over. Make a few lines where you only focus on that. Slow down and concentrate. This is why drills are helpful, too.  ;D

Watch your straight t crosses. They are slanting downward.

The width of your h humps (overturns) and n humps should be the same. Your h's get a bit skinny.

I love that you did a piece with a quote. Working on composition is just as important a skill to help it all come together. Try a version where you space the lines closer together.

Great practice! Keep going and post again!  :-*
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 07:02:10 AM »
Yes! Great progress. A few tips:

Watch your guidelines. On the last page, the rows of m's you can see some places where you missed coming all the way up and a few places where you went over. Make a few lines where you only focus on that. Slow down and concentrate. This is why drills are helpful, too.  ;D

Watch your straight t crosses. They are slanting downward.

The width of your h humps (overturns) and n humps should be the same. Your h's get a bit skinny.

I love that you did a piece with a quote. Working on composition is just as important a skill to help it all come together. Try a version where you space the lines closer together.

Great practice! Keep going and post again!  :-*

Invaluable!!!! Yessss, will do!  Thank you for taking the time, Ms. Erica!  My heart is leaping with joy (pun intended its my middle name)  and encouragement.

ETA:  I printed, underlined, and bolded this advice.  My next practice later today I will have it beside me for reference.

This is too cool  ;D.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 07:17:30 AM by lyric »

Offline lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 03:44:41 AM »
Currently in Copperplate Foundations with Younghae C. We are in the last days of minuscule practice.  HP 32# is ny practice paper of choice.  Hunt 22b nib and McCaffery's Ink in Indigo Blue and walnut crystals were used last evening.

It was an enjoyable session.  I probably should
 do it earlier in the day vs. before bed.  Where does the time go?