Author Topic: Practice white on black paper  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Practice white on black paper
« on: May 17, 2022, 04:23:18 PM »
I have been brushing up on my Spencerian Script lately and I decided to do some white (Doc Martens Bleedproof White) on black paper. I like it because you can really see every line and can find any areas for improvement. These are all the places we have lived over the years or that have some significance to our family.  I could do this for days.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Aries M

• View Profile
Re: Practice white on black paper
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 07:25:13 PM »
Wow Erica! This is goregous!!! Makes me want to learn spencerian even more. There are not enough hours in the day for all these wonderful scripts! Haha

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 10:41:27 PM »
Thanks Aries! Right?! I wish we could designate two hours a day as “calligraphy time.”
I fell in love with Spencerian at first sight. It’s always fun to go back to it. It’s so meditative!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Ashley K

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 08:00:10 PM »
This is beautiful! Spencerian is so elegant. It’s something I didn’t appreciate when I first started out learning calligraphy, but it didn’t take long to win me over hah! This year it’s my goal to learn. We’re halfway through the year, so I guess I’d better get a move on.  ;D

This is an inspiration! Do you find that you have to get into a different mindset when practicing Spencerian, since it’s a much lighter touch than most scripts?

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 11:16:21 AM »
Beautiful and inspirational work, Erica!  Looks like some more moves, or additional genealogical research is in order to capture the rest of the alphabet!  :)
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 11:38:12 AM »
@Ashley K Yes, I definitely think you have to switch gears a bit. I lift my pen at the baseline on almost every stroke and I try to use my whole arm as much as possible (very little finger movement). You also have to lift up on your forearm a bit so your arm can glide. I find I have to remind myself to not make the shaded down strokes quite a bit.  ;D Although, true confession, my favorite is a heavily shaded Spencerian - kind of like a combo of Copperplate and Spencerian.  :)

@Zivio - Haha! I will have to keep that in mind when we make our next move and choose a town.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 05:22:24 PM »
I have been brushing up on my Spencerian Script lately and I decided to do some white (Doc Martens Bleedproof White) on black paper. I like it because you can really see every line and can find any areas for improvement. These are all the places we have lived over the years or that have some significance to our family.  I could do this for days.  ;D

@Erica McPhee
I like this writing a lot. I can see these writing has some significant touch very simple and beautiful.
Yes we have to get more impressed to keep the flow moving. Thank you again Erica for this lovely work!!!