Author Topic: Paper sample packs from John Neal ~ old-world papers  (Read 910 times)

Offline Elissa K.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Squill Calligraphy Studio
Paper sample packs from John Neal ~ old-world papers
« on: July 05, 2021, 12:02:52 PM »
I'm looking for a rag paper that is similar to what was used in pre-industrial times (renaissance Italy, colonial America).  Probably I'll end up ordering a sample pack which John Neal offers.  The goal is a paper that works well with fine/small nibs and is thin enough to fold easily, like stationery. 

Has anyone tried the following papers?  The pack also includes Arches 90# hot press and Pergamenata, but I'm familiar with those already.

Arches Text Wove
Rives BFK 180gsm
Bugra White
Frankfurt White (or Frankfurt Smooth)
Frankfurt Cream
Canson Ingres White
German Ingres White
Stonehenge White or Stonehenge Cream
Rives BFK 250gsm
Zerkall Book White
Nideggen Sand

D B Holtz

Re: Paper sample packs from John Neal ~ old-world papers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 05:01:40 PM »
Stonehenge White is the only one on your list that I have any experience with.  It worked well for me with both broad nibs for Uncial and fine nibs for Copperplate, but the paper I have is 250 gsm, and would be very difficult to fold--not at all like stationery.

HTH,

DB

Offline Elissa K.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 05:29:46 PM »
That's good to know, thanks.  I'm also looking at Strathmore Charcoal papers now.  Apparently they are lightweight, and they are laid instead of wove (I just learned that "wove" cotton paper didn't arrive until the late 1700s).  However I'm not sure if the charcoal papers have too much tooth for fine pen work.

Online Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 05:48:13 PM »
Rives BFK is one of my favorites in both weights.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 07:03:12 AM »
Arches Text Wove is my favorite all-purpose paper. It feels like nice stationery.
It is also very nice for handmade books.

I bought the sample pack many years ago and it's nice to know about all the other papers.
If you get the sample pack, you might want to reserve a piece of each of the papers to use for testing.
Write the name of each paper at the top of the page.
Then - every time you try a new nib & ink combo - write the name of the ink and nib on each piece of paper
and establish which papers are friendliest with the various inks and nibs.

Some papers have a right side - which you can see by the watermark.
As I fold and tear (rather than cut) the large pieces into smaller pieces - I alway mark the front side.
Once the watermark is gone, it can be hard to tell which is the right side.
There is nothing *wrong* about the non-right side - but sometimes a nib/ink will respond better on the right side.

Offline Elissa K.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 10:58:38 AM »
Thanks so much, I'm eager to check out Rives BFK, Arches Text Wove, and couple others that might be good candidates (Arches sketch paper and Gutenberg Laid - Text).  Sample packs sound like so much fun... the ones I see have a lot of heavier papers in them, too, so I might wait until I want to explore those as well!   😃

Offline Elissa K.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 07:59:11 PM »
I came across this helpful video with Brian Allison () and he recommends the Strathmore charcoal paper as a good place to start.  They had a single pad of it left at Michael's and I will be trying it soon!