Author Topic: Charlton Valentine Howe & Fanny Sargent - A Love Story  (Read 352 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Charlton Valentine Howe & Fanny Sargent - A Love Story
« on: March 12, 2023, 01:00:38 PM »
Fanny Sargent (1881 - 1978) was an accomplished engrosser when she designed the March 1901 edition of the Penman-Artist and Business Educator. She also included a small self-portrait sketch inside the journal. It caught the eye of engrosser Charlton V. (Valentine) Howe. He made inquiries to C. P. Zaner who connected the two and they began corresponding via mail.

They were married a year later on April 12, 1902 in the living room of Zaner. They had only met in person a week or two before.

Charlton died in 1950 but Fanny continued to run the studio until she retired in 1973.

There is a small collection of some of their work at the University of Scranton archives from both Fanny and Charlton. What I found interesting is the university website does not post any of the work in digital form. It must be viewed in person. There is a disclaimer that the work may contain “harmful or offensive language or imagery.” They note in the interest of historical integrity, they do not remove the work but notify potential viewers so they can decide for themselves if they wish to view it.

The IAMPETH convention is in Scranton PA this summer and will have field trips to the archives. This collection will be first on my list.  ;D Not because of the intrigue of the “offensive language or imagery” but because I love a good love story!

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Re: Charlton Valentine Howe & Fanny Sargent - A Love Story
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 03:22:18 PM »
Aww!  Stories of when and how couples met have always been a favorite of mine, particularly when I was a bachelor long ago, yet still warm my heart to this day.
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Mary_M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 10:14:19 AM »
That’s sweet! They fell in love through writing. I think the disclaimer is used on all of their collections - just as a general warning.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 12:12:43 PM »
Oh, OK. I wasn’t sure if it was just this and a couple other collections. Because many of their collections they have digitized and you can view on the site. Thanks @Mary_M  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Chessie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 05:09:24 PM »
Goodness that's so cute I almost cried.  A good love story always brings a smile.  Would that everyone could find something like that in their partners.