Author Topic: “Imperial” script ?  (Read 274 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
“Imperial” script ?
« on: March 27, 2023, 09:18:09 PM »
I just encountered “Imperial Script” term on an Instagram calligrapher I follow. I had not heard this term before, not that I’m very experienced or have a lot of calligraphy background. I’m guessing it may be some sort of derivation, but I’m just curious as to what others might have to say about it. 

What I saw was very elegant and beautiful, but I have that reaction whenever seeing practically any writing that is done well.   ;D
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: “Imperial” script ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 01:03:10 PM »
This is an absolutely gorgeous “modern” script designed by Suzanne Cunningham. It combines some of the classic techniques of Engrosser’s script with flowy extenders from letters like h, m, and n. There are many similarities to a script called Swingline created over 20 years ago by Kate McKulla (I took her class in 2000). But Suzanne’s script has its own look and unique variations.

I think it’s a really beautiful style and with a modern spin but still a traditional, elegant feel. :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Re: “Imperial” script ?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 10:39:04 PM »
Thanks, @Erica McPhee!  While I’m personally staying focused on just one script, I feel there’s contributory value to immersion in all things calligraphic. I’ve learned so much on The Flourish Forum and elsewhere just by keeping my eyes and mind open!  I’m going to look up that Swingline now. 
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace