Author Topic: A Monet Quote - It's Enough to Drive One Mad!  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Whitney Gothra

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Becoming
A Monet Quote - It's Enough to Drive One Mad!
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:05:39 PM »
This quote really resonated with me, and so I thought I would use it for today's practice! I wrote it out four or five times before I got this version that I was even close to semi-satisfied with. I had some trouble getting the lines to be centered. And now that I'm posting it, I can see that on some of the words I did a little hairline entrance swoop on the first letter and on some of the words I omitted it. What is the proper protocol for that? I'm also still working on getting the proper spacing. I think some of my letters look squished while others are too far apart.

I would appreciate any and all critique, advice, and opinions! I am so enjoying this learning process.  ;D

image by Becoming Whitney, on Flickr

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: A Monet Quote - It's Enough to Drive One Mad!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »
Hi Whitney,
You've done a beautiful job! It really has a nice flow.

In terms of the details you asked about, I will make some small suggestions which are really just fine tuning. Centering is hard and the best way to do it is to write out each line, then measure, then mark your guide. Even then, you still need to letter consistently so it is the same width. I like to do a piece out once, then scan and line everything up, print it out, and then use that underneath as a guide on the lightbox. This way my lettering is consistent, done all at once, and flows well. But not everyone has the photoshop and/or time to do that.

In terms of the letterforms, you've done well! The only tip would be the t is a bit too tall. It should not go up to the top line like the h or l. It is typically only about 1/3 to 1/2 above the midline. Also, you may want to open up your lower case e's just a bit so you don't lose the oval shape.

Looking really good!  ;D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:31:16 PM »
It's beautiful Whitney. I'm just a beginner like you but I love th quote because I can relate but the lettering is beautiful too :-)
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Donna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 03:41:46 PM »
I really like what you've done.  I think you have a lovely soft touch and flow to your lettering.  I also love the quote!  Well done :)

Offline Whitney Gothra

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Becoming
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »
Erica ~ thank you so much for your critique!  Your tips on centering are wonderful!  My lettering was definitely inconsistent, which made it nearly impossible.  Ha!  I can't wait to try your wonderful tips.

And thanks for the tips on the t and e.  Looking at it now I can see my t's sticking out like sore thumbs!  Somewhere along the way I got in the habit of making them to the top of the guidelines.  And I didn't even notice the puny e's.  Back to tracing your letterforms to get the proper shaping!

Again, thank you so much for the critique.  It helps more than you know!

Offline Whitney Gothra

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Becoming
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »
 Nikkih ~ thank you so much!  It's probably my new favorite quote.  :)

Donna ~ Thank you, I really appreciate that!