Author Topic: Random thoughts...  (Read 1852 times)

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
Random thoughts...
« on: March 10, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
Hello!  Just some random thoughts that I put down on paper...would love some critique...I definitely put my own "style" on some letters!
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
Re: Random thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:34:09 PM »
I LOVE it. Nice job. Love your S. And you do your th,s really well. I struggle with them personally. Funny I didn't really notice how many the words there are. Lol
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:32:53 PM »
Looking good! I love your capital S as well!  :) Actually, I really like your little s's too and your r's. Quite lovely!

My only suggestion would be to smooth out the flourish on the d's and last b's. Rather than have the loop come down from a straight point, have it curve around like you did on the h's and somewhat on the first b. The rest of the lettering has such a nice rounded feel to it, the contrast with the sharpness of those flourishes is somewhat out of place. Also, watch the negative space in the oval of your a's. The second stroke is bumping into it a bit.

But overall, it looks great and has a really nice feel!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:41:37 AM »
I LOVE it. Nice job. Love your S. And you do your th,s really well. I struggle with them personally. Funny I didn't really notice how many the words there are. Lol

Thank you!  :)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »
Looking good! I love your capital S as well!  :) Actually, I really like your little s's too and your r's. Quite lovely!

My only suggestion would be to smooth out the flourish on the d's and last b's. Rather than have the loop come down from a straight point, have it curve around like you did on the h's and somewhat on the first b. The rest of the lettering has such a nice rounded feel to it, the contrast with the sharpness of those flourishes is somewhat out of place. Also, watch the negative space in the oval of your a's. The second stroke is bumping into it a bit.

But overall, it looks great and has a really nice feel!  :)

Thank you Erica!  :)  I can definitely see what you mean on the d & b's.  Also, good to note about the a's...will definitely try to practice more of those!  ;D

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »
Hi! Some advice from me, since I'm having a hard time with the same thing: Try and keep the slant consistent. Some letters, like the first S, are leaning towards the left, some are straighter, some are leaning more towards the right. Also, look at the spaces between the letters, they don't all have to be the same width, for example the space between an "e" and an "m" can be narrower than between an "o" and an "m". :) I hope that helps.
Natascha
My Instagram

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:42:21 PM »
Hi! Some advice from me, since I'm having a hard time with the same thing: Try and keep the slant consistent. Some letters, like the first S, are leaning towards the left, some are straighter, some are leaning more towards the right. Also, look at the spaces between the letters, they don't all have to be the same width, for example the space between an "e" and an "m" can be narrower than between an "o" and an "m". :) I hope that helps.

Definitely!  :)  I have trouble with my slants...I can't seem to keep them consistent & I think that's because I'm infusing my own "style" but yes, definitely something to practice.  And I see what you mean about the spacing between the letters!  Thanks!  ;D