Author Topic: Need opinion  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
Need opinion
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »
So I'm considering using my oblique holder again. My engineering husband made adjustments to the wood century holder so I can write with now. Woo hoo. However I'm so used to the straight that I need your opinion as to my lettering using one holder vs the other. I've come really far and I have a long ways more to go. But I don't want to hinder my progress but the lines are nicer with the oblique but I'm finally able to flourish a little with the straight. Any and all opinions welcome.
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Need opinion
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »
Nice work! Honestly, I don't see much difference. The only thing I see is a little bit stronger (darker) lines with the straight holder which makes sense because you have better muscle memory developed with that so your lines have more confidence. But really - they both look equally good.  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:48:49 PM »
Better photo

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 09:51:05 PM »
See I was thinking that too. And I would hate to loose my flourishing ability (which isn't much but it's better than before lol) but I notice the hairlines are really nice with the oblique and I like it. It has a softer look.

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 02:35:33 AM »
I think the straight holder gives you a slightly raggedy right edge on the downstroke, because the tines are opening a little bit unevenly (but that's not a criticism-- it's just the effect of the tool).  You can look at the famous Paul Antonio's copperplate and observe the same effect on some of the things he posts. 

I don't think it's very exaggerated, especially because your copperplate is less slanted here than 54°.  If you tried to slant more with a straight holder, you'd notice it more. 

I think your lines are just perceptibly smoother with the oblique.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 03:00:45 AM »
I agree with Joy here! I think the downstrokes are also more regular regarding line width than with the straight. I switched to an oblique holder after I about 2 months practicing Copperplate – it felt REALLY awkward in the beginning (several days actually!) but I realized that it helped me to improve my writing a lot! Now I can switch easily between both (I like these irregular edges with my more informal writing).

What I want to say: I just want to encourage you to stick with the oblique for at least a week. You will very probably get used to it and then you will also be able to do your flourishing and everything you can do now with the straight holder, just with smoother lines ;). If you want them!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:40:52 AM »
Thanks Joy and Stepahie. I will use the oblique for a week and date my progress.

Offline dailyletterings

• no formal training, but LOVE callig+hand-lettering
    • View Profile
    • daily letterings
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »
first impression - i think the results of your oblique pen are cleaner and more uniform, so oblique wins for me. 

nice job on both though!!
torrie t. asai

[email protected]
dailyletterings.tumblr.com
instagram: @dailyletterings

Offline melissa

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »
I'm quite a newbie, so take what I say with the proverbial grain of salt. :) The one difference I see between your straight and oblique writing is that your straight pen writing is more compact. This is especially noticeable on your lead-in strokes for the "m" and "n".

They both look wonderful though!

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 09:14:23 PM »
It's all very Good!
I really like the oblique sample better.  It's smoother.  And I like the oblique 'c' much better too.
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
I think they both look lovely and it's entirely up to you - are you going for "modern calligraphy" or "classic" Copperplate/Spencerian? If classic, then you should try writing with the 55° slant line, with both straight and oblique - then tell us which you prefer. :)

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 10:54:01 PM »
I started wanting to do modern calligraphy but now I want to really learn traditional copperplate. And I see with my lettering I'm mingling with both. Maybe that's my style. Not sure. Anyway hard to get a 55 slant on the Rhodia paper but I'll figure out a way. Maybe I'll just pencil in the angle.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am like all of you  - I really like the balance that the oblique offers. The straight is very good for the various styles of modern. And on day two using the oblique I'm frustrated but see the results which keeps me trying. Lol who knew I love love this type of calligraphy like I do and that there's thousands of us out there. Pretty cool  :)

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 05:53:07 PM »
So here is a update. Day 4 and I like the oblique. I've attached a pic

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »
Nikki, being a newbie also, I'm really struggling with this too. I have stuck with the oblique and the 55 degree slant for the most part, but now I want to branch out a bit and I find the straight gives me so much freedom! I am not now nor will ever be a stickler for precision. I'm striving to find the "me" in calligraphy. I appreciate learning the copperplate letterforms but I like the flourishes and curlicues and variations. I love playing with them! So, I say, do what feels right to you!

Ellen

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »
Ellen - like you i want to find the me in calligraphy and i really believe using both the oblique and straight gives you so much freedom. I also feel that knowing copperplate well is the best foundaton to exploring different styles. I did broad pen for years and developed my ownstyle, but pointed pen i find so much more enjoyable and cant wait to find my person style.  but everyone says you got to know the rules before you break them and i feel that's true. Which is why i really felt i needed to give the oblique holder the respect it deserves by learnig how to use it well.