Author Topic: Please tell me what you think of my work :)  (Read 2386 times)

Offline marissedizon

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Please tell me what you think of my work :)
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:49:34 PM »
 Hi! I just recently joined in this forum, and I'm a newbie in calligraphy and then I saw Erica's tutorials and this forum for kind critiques. Please let me know what yo think of my work.

I know this is not much, but I want to get opinions since it's just 6th day of practice (I attended a workshop last Apr10).  :) all of my works looked a lot like this. I have a hard time slanting my handwriting.  :( and I am still using beginner's materials: (A notebook, Hunt 56, China ink) :) what do you think should I purchase next? :) I'm thinking of purchasing gouache so I could practice with colors.  :) is it okay to buy gouache and still use Hunt 56 or should I purchase another type of nibs? :) Haha sorry, I'm really new and I still don't know what works well with what nibs :) Also, it's the practice paper I really want to find. (I hope someone in Manila could help me find the 'perfect' practice paper  ;D)

Thank you! =) hoping to hear a reply from all of you soon so that I could still improve my work. :)

Offline marissedizon

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Please tell me what you think of my work :)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:37 PM »
Awww sorry! How do you rotate images?  :(

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 12:35:07 AM »
Hi Marisse,

I can't rotate them now as I'm on my laptop. But I just wanted to say you have a very nice style developing. Definitely more of a modern style - very sweet.

I would work on lettering a little more before jumping into color (but that is just me). Also, you can definitely use the Hunt 56 with gouache. I would suggest the Nikko G to try next.

Keep going! You're doing great!  :)
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:23:07 AM »
Very nice modern style. In regards to what to get next, my opinion would be to find a paper and nib combo you like first. Then find a standard black ink that works well on the paper. Maybe the ink you already have will work well on a nice paper you find.

Color and all the embellishments should come later. We all want our lettering to be beautiful and make a statement, but that will come in time. Focus on your lettering and shapes and more importantly your consistency. Once you have a firm grasp on this, then jump into the colors and flourishes and all the extras.

Remember a bad letter made with beautiful color and a beautiful flourish is still a bad letter. We must walk before we can run. :)
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline marissedizon

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 08:51:33 AM »
Thanks, Erica, for your kind words! I am now on my way of improving the letters and finding the nibs! I heard a lot (mostly reading though hehe :p) about the Nikko G and that's what I hope to purchase next! :) if only I could find some store or some one here in the Philippines who sells nibs as of the moment. :)

Hi Christopher! Thank you also for giving some critique :) I agree with what you said, I know my consistency is really bad and that's what I hope to improve! ;D ;D ;D

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »
Very cute style you are developing!
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:42:47 AM »
Don't think I was criticizing your work, you are doing fabulous for a short time. I have seen people do much worse with much more time practicing.

I was speaking in general terms that the key to Calligraphy is consistency :)
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:56:27 AM »
Oh, there is a group of wonderful calligraphers in the Philippines selling calligraphy supplies! They are also members of the forum.

La Bella Scrittura   :D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline JessicaC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • My card-making gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 01:06:11 AM »
I think your work is lovely!  I'm a newbie as well and I think you have a natural gift.  I agree that getting a proper slant is one of the hardest things starting out, especially for Copperplate.  Can't wait to see more of your work.  :)

Offline marissedizon

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »
I think your work is lovely!  I'm a newbie as well and I think you have a natural gift.  I agree that getting a proper slant is one of the hardest things starting out, especially for Copperplate.  Can't wait to see more of your work.  :)

Yay thanks Jessica! I really had a hard time doing the proper slant. Haha. I think I need to find my perfect nib and paper! :)

Thank you also sisterofdream! =)

Thank you Erica!! I saw their page already! Will be buying new nibs and ink soon. Thank you. I'm excited! :)

Thanks for your kind words Christopher. I'm inspired to do great especially seeing all the works here and on instagram! :) there are a lot of wonderful calligraphers all around the world!