Author Topic: Hows this?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline JostenD

• View Profile
    • Josten Dooley Design
Hows this?
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:15:48 AM »
So this is one of my recent pieces that I posted on my instagram. What are some things that you see I can improve on? Also how is the piece overall?

Thanks in advance for the help
Instagram.com/JostenDooley

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hows this?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »
Hi Josten,
You have a really nice style developing. I've seen your improvement ongoing on Instagram. I like how you have done the highlighting on the red and the blue highlight behind the monoline italic.

I would suggest working on the arrangement or composition. Your lettering is very lively and would benefit from a different arrangement.

Perhaps choose one word from the quote and make that larger for more emphasis, then arrange the other lines around it. Look at how other calligraphy pieces are arranged. Study how the design contributes to the lettering.

For this piece, I had a hard time reading the word, "move" because I expected it to be "more" until I read the following words. There should be punctuation after "...plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance."

I like how you used two different styles but the change is in an awkward place. So perhaps instead of the last two lines being in the light style, try to emphasize a few of the words with the lighter italic monoline. Decide which words to emphasize like sense, move, plunge, and/or dance.

Also, watch your 'O's. Although they are consistently the same size in the piece, it looks like a capital in the word "out" so it interrupts the flow. Capitals, punctuation, and line breaks give your reader visual cues in how to read the piece.

Lastly, leave some white space. Try to use white space as a visual element in your design. This gives the eye some breathing room and allows your lettering to really shine.

I highly recommend one of Alan Furber's books, either, "Layout and Design for Calligraphers," or "Using Calligraphy: Layout and Design Ideas."

I hope that helps!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JostenD

• View Profile
    • Josten Dooley Design
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 07:38:17 AM »
Thanks so much for the help Erica I'll definitely take your advice into consideration. Also I'll go check out the book you mentioned.  8)
Instagram.com/JostenDooley

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »
With regard to consistent spacing, here is something that helped my blackletter a lot. If you cover the very bottom and top of the x height letters, what you should most of the time is an evenly spaced 'picket fence', except where letters like your style of 'o', etc, interrupt the fence, which is okay.

The big 'o's are a tad distracting... Maybe it's just my unrefined and stubborn eye, but that will also help with overall uniformity .

You will still maintain the level I ness of your lettering if you fix it up some and make the word and letter spacing more uniform.

Aside from that, I really admire the sort of 3D effect you have your letters, and the gradient within them.