Author Topic: "Hey y'all!" from Dallas, Texas  (Read 4137 times)

Offline lyndsaywrightdesign

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
"Hey y'all!" from Dallas, Texas
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:12:36 PM »
Hi!  My name is Lyndsay Wright, and I live in Dallas, Texas.

I have always loved having a pen in my hand, ever since I was a kid, when I used to write lists of anything I could think of, just to give myself an excuse to write.  Writing has always been a fairly big part of my life, and I've always enjoyed making up new lettering and handwriting styles.  It took me a long time to figure out that I could do it professionally.

In 2006, I established my side business Lyndsay Wright Design as a graphic design studio, mostly designing wedding and party invitations, while I was getting my Master's in architecture.  I left architecture in 2012 to do user experience design on apps for  iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.  With my days so heavily spent staring at screens of all sorts, I started leaning away from the graphic design work, and focused on finding side jobs that were more-analog based, like addressing envelopes.

I enjoyed addressing envelopes so much that I decided to go deeper in that endeavor, and I enrolled in my first calligraphy class in January 2013.  After LOVING that class and eagerly taking four additional classes the same spring, I happily refocused my side business around calligraphy and hand lettering, because they speak to my heart more than the print design and layout work.  The physical movement involved in calligraphy and lettering is a zen, centering activity for me, and the more I focus on my lettering work, the more balanced I feel.

I have absolutely LOVED connecting with other calligraphers on this forum, and I love following you all on Instagram and seeing your work!  I practically live for participating in the calligraphy exchanges, and if anyone is looking for a pen pal, message me - I'm always happy to write!   :D
http://www.lyndsaywrightdesign.com
Instagram: lyndsaywrightdesign

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
Re: "Hey y'all!" from Dallas, Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 03:02:41 AM »
Hi Lindsay!
I love you're introduction.
Welcome!
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:50:04 AM »
Hi, Lindsay!

Welcome to the Forum!  So nice to have another Texan aboard!

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:57:06 AM »
welcome lindsay! 
already follow you on IG...love your work!  i soooo understand how you feel about the physical movement involved in calligraphy.  it's all that and more...the sound of nib on paper, the feel of paper...it all relaxes me and is very meditative.  i have trouble going back to Adobe for this reason...there is no zen there...i admit that i prefer hand lettering these days to creating perfection on screen.
anyhoo...enjoy the forum and all there is here!
xo,
joi

Offline silverswirlstudios

• View Profile
    • Silver Swirl Studios
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »
Welcome,  Lyndsay!

I recognize you from IG. Glad to have you on the forum!

Theresa D. Varela
Silver Swirl Studios
Find us on Facebook and Instagram!

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 06:04:57 PM »
Hi Lyndsay,

Welcome to The Forum!  Where have you been hiding?  I received your GORGEOUS card in the mail, today!  I won't spoil it by showing it to everyone till they've all been delivered, but it was simply beautiful.  Thank you. 

It's great to have you here. 

Debbie
Debbie

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
Hi Lyndsay, I also recognized your name from IG. Nice to see you here at Flourish!  :D

Offline inkcatcher

• SIENNE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
Lyndsay! I know you also from Instagram. Glad to know that you finally joined Flourish! Welcome welcome! :) Thanks for sharing your story in your introduction! See you around! :)
Hi! My name is Sienne (Si-yen/ Shen).
Instagram | Website | Pen Meet Manila

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »
Well a big hey y'all right back atcha!  Off to follow you on IG!  Welcome to the forum!  :D
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »
Lyndsay, who did you study with when you studied calligraphy?

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
Thank you for welcoming me, everyone!  I'm so happy to be entering the conversation.  I've had sooooo much fun seeing everyone's work on IG, so it's nice to be talking with all of you amazingly talented artists!

Debbie, I'm so glad that you got my card.  I loved getting yours!  I love all of the little details that you did.  Just beautiful!

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 03:55:49 PM »
Lyndsay, who did you study with when you studied calligraphy?

I studied with Susie-Melissa Cherry!

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »
Oh, I'm so glad!  Isn't she GREAT?!  I bought some supplies from her when I was learning (she has a shop on eBay).  When I ran into difficulties with my daughter's wedding invitation envelopes, she was the only calligrapher that I "knew", so I messaged her through eBay.  She was so kind to tell me what the solution was to my problem and she checked back with me to make sure that the problem really got solved.  I recently messaged her about the Forum & keep hoping that she will sign up.  She is talented, kind & generous & she would make such a good addition to the Forum!  You're so lucky to have been able to learn from her!!

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 01:23:14 AM »
Oh, I'm so glad!  Isn't she GREAT?!  I bought some supplies from her when I was learning (she has a shop on eBay).  When I ran into difficulties with my daughter's wedding invitation envelopes, she was the only calligrapher that I "knew", so I messaged her through eBay.  She was so kind to tell me what the solution was to my problem and she checked back with me to make sure that the problem really got solved.  I recently messaged her about the Forum & keep hoping that she will sign up.  She is talented, kind & generous & she would make such a good addition to the Forum!  You're so lucky to have been able to learn from her!!

I feel the same way!  She is wonderful.  I finally got to catch up with her on Saturday, after my maternity leave ended in May. I hadn't seen her since right before I had my daughter in February!  She is really sweet and is so knowledgeable.  I'll mention the Forum to her again when I see her in a few weeks.  Are you in the area, Janis?

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »
I'm in Amarillo, but I make it down your way several times a year.  We're a baseball family & love the Rangers, but we've decided to ignore this year since they got rid of all their good players and are in a chase for last place! ::)  I was in Dallas in June for a Jimmy Buffett concert (we go every year!) and may have a shopping trip in the fall, after it cools off!  I think that there is an active calligraphy guild in Dallas.  We only have 4 active calligraphers in Amarillo and the other 3 are Italic only.  i wish I was able to hang out more with pointed pen folk!  But, I thank God for this Forum!! I've "met" so many nice people & have really learned a ton!  And, I am going to go to IAMPETH next summer!  Maybe you could go, too!