Author Topic: What does it mean to be a guild member  (Read 2498 times)

Offline dailyletterings

• no formal training, but LOVE callig+hand-lettering
    • View Profile
    • daily letterings
What does it mean to be a guild member
« on: March 25, 2014, 01:12:41 PM »
thanks, linda!!! i'll have to look into it!  i'm still trying to understand exactly what's entailed in a "membership" to a calligraphy guild. can you explain exactly what it means to be a member? are you a member of IAMPETH? i cannot recall.  i thought you were. 
torrie t. asai

[email protected]
dailyletterings.tumblr.com
instagram: @dailyletterings

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: What does it mean to be a guild member
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:11:56 PM »
I moved this to stay on topic and it is a good question that I didn't want others to miss. I'm sure Linda will respond specifically to your guild.

The guilds I have belonged to have been great! To be a member, you sign up and pay an annual dues. We have meetings every month September through June. We usually have a small mini-workshop during the meeting given by one of the members. Then we typically have one or two workshops throughout the year as well hosting a calligrapher from somewhere else. These are awesome two to four day workshops.

I took on the website for the guild and everyone chips in for things that need to be done. So far, I have not done any committee work or board work as I have difficulty committing with three kids. But hopefully that will change as they get older.

I think the bottom line is you can be as active or inactive as you want. Being a member, we typically receive a discount and early registration for sought after workshops.

Hope that helps!  :)
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:15:41 PM »
I am a member of a very new guild in Vegas called the Fabulous Las Vegas Scribes. We only started meeting this year and have about 10 members.. very small indeed but cozy! We meet every month at a room designated to us which has proper projectors and tables, bring snacks and usually there are members giving demonstrations and lessons. It's very intimate and friendly and everyone is free to just go around socializing, I love it!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:48:30 PM »
Thanks for starting the topic Erica!

Bailey can probably answer this more than I can as she is on the board of the Society for Calligraphy - both Roseann and I are members too. With your yearly membership dues, you can sign up for all the great guild-sponsored workshops plus the Letters conference (all at extra cost but VERY reasonable). You get a monthly newsletter about what's going on in the guild with some great calligraphy tips and tricks shared by members, and the Calligraph magazine. You also get on a mailing list like IAMPETH has.

Anything else I missed?

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 03:09:10 AM »
Yeah, what's in the IAMPETH member section? :D *curious*

I wish we had a guild here :<
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Emily

• View Profile
    • Emily V Fitzpatrick Designs
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Schin, I am so excited to hear that there's a calligraphy guild in Las Vegas! I've been searching the web for something like this and haven't found anything yet. I will totally be y'all's newest member in June!  :D

I am a member of a very new guild in Vegas called the Fabulous Las Vegas Scribes. We only started meeting this year and have about 10 members.. very small indeed but cozy! We meet every month at a room designated to us which has proper projectors and tables, bring snacks and usually there are members giving demonstrations and lessons. It's very intimate and friendly and everyone is free to just go around socializing, I love it!

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »
Emily, you will love it! We meet at the community room at Gaudin Ford at the I-215 between Rainbow and Jones every third Saturday. It's very cozy, we have artists, teachers, even a judge come by, and there's always a table of snacks :) I hope to see you there soon!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube