Author Topic: BlueDew Flex Fountain Pen Review  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
BlueDew Flex Fountain Pen Review
« on: September 23, 2021, 02:15:04 PM »
I have a couple fountain pens in my collection – a Waterman and a Parker – so I am not an expert but a casual user. The BlueDew Flex is a beautiful pen by any standard. I ordered the Blue which is absolutely gorgeous with black and gold accents. This is a finely crafted pen with a presence. It has a nice heft to it but not too heavy that it is cumbersome. I did experience a bit of hand fatigue about a half an hour in but this is most likely because I am not at all used to using a fountain pen but rather a super light oblique holder.

It is very clear Jeffrey, the designer of the pen, has put an extraordinary amount of thought and time into creating it. It features elegant little accents such as the nib engraving along with the name on the band of the cap and the B embossed on the top of the nib.

The ink flow was great right from the start. There was no difficulty in getting it to start and it produced a graceful, lush line which was not so overflowing with ink as to blob but enough that it felt really nice to write with it. It sailed gracefully on the paper with little to no drag or scratchiness. I tried it on smooth Rhodia paper and Southworth 100% cotton, 32 lb resume paper. Both took the ink wonderfully with little, if any bleed. I dare say, it far outperformed my entry level Waterman in terms of fluidity and joy in writing.

No fault of the pen, I quickly went through the two Waterman ink cartridges I used in just a few pages. However, they were older so may have evaporated quite a bit. There is a sudden and noticeable drag when the ink runs low, a nice alert for the user to replace or refill the ink.

As the creator suggests, slow and steady wins the race. This is not a pen to do elaborate flourishes with or with which to write quickly. The website states “never try to explore the limits of the flex” as the nib has a moderately soft and forgiving tip.  I found it to work well for both Spencerian and Copperplate (Engrosser’s Script). However, if you are an experienced calligrapher, you will find neither the fine hair lines very thin, nor the shades considerably thick. An adjustment in expectation is required in comparison to using a dip pen and nib.

This is truly an “on the go” pen. So while advanced calligraphers may not be using it to do a finished piece of calligraphy, it certainly will do if you want to pen something on the fly or while sitting watching tv or simply just to practice. Beginners will find it a joy to use for a range of projects without having to worry about dipping in ink or finessing a nib into compliance.

Where I found it to exhibit its best features is when combining thick and thin writing with a casual feel (see address and BlueDew title). There you can clearly see the considerable contrast the pen is able to produce without the taxation of trying to produce a formal script. It would also be terrific for illustrators who like to do monochrome work with variation in line thickness.

In regard to whether it is better suited to a beginner or an advanced calligrapher, there could be an argument for either. The beginner will like the minimal work necessary to produce a hairline or shade and the advanced will enjoy the subtle nuances of line quality without much effort. Overall, a very satisfying tool and beautiful pen for anyone.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: BlueDew Flex Fountain Pen Review
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 02:20:01 PM »
Pen details. Click on images to see close up / full size.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 04:08:25 PM »
Well, I guess I know what my next pen purchase will be.  Will it replace the Elabo and/or Desiderata in my affections though?  perhaps!  (although I'm under no illusions that my writing will ever look so nice as @Erica McPhee 's example, no matter what pen I use).  Thanks so much for the review!!  -K

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:47:24 PM »
Thanks so much @K-2 ! I hope you like it.   :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 08:34:14 AM »
That is a gorgeous pen @Erica McPhee. Thank you for the detailed review.
According to the Singapore post, my package is in Canada, so hopefully soon I will have a couple of the nibs here.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 08:14:31 PM »
@Erica McPhee Thank you for the detailed review!  I’m going to order one!  It will be great for airplane rides!

JANIS

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 09:17:33 AM »
Thanks Janis! Just be careful as fountain pens are notorious for leaking ink or even exploding from airplane pressurizing.  :-[
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 09:21:05 AM »
Here is an excellent article about flying with fountain pens.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 06:52:24 PM »
@Erica McPhee This is absolutely  a gorgeous  Pen and of course, in your hand it is at it's best in dancing on papers.
It is in some way very difficult to find a favourite pen in Vintage world. They are all having different characters in writing.
There is another  New Outstanding Modern pen from Mont Blanc. "New Mont Blanc Calligraphy pen"
This link show some writing with that pen. 
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1593097393__montblanc_meisterstck_149_calligraphy_exercises_1_fp.jpg
( It is of course a high end pen... Not for everyone, but there's something with this nib )

Yes there are very beautiful  FOUNTAIN PENS FOR CALLIGRAPHY. I have some fountain pens  and they had become a little accumulation to me. I am now mostly on dip pens. I hope  soon I could use them to use  for some different penmanships.

I love your pen and it has a special nib. That is meant for cursive writing.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 10:13:34 AM by Cyril Jayant »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 12:51:02 PM »
Thank you for sharing! That is a beautiful fountain pen! And I love that journal photo.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 04:10:09 PM »
@darrin1200 of Timber Elegance made this beautiful fountain pen with a Blue Dew nib unit (as well as roller ball and Jowo EF units to swap in).  With more flex than a G-nib, it is so much fun for drawing and for lettering!

Ink: Pilot Iroshizuku fuyu gaki
Paper: Clairefontaine 90lb white (writing); Fabriano 140b watercolor paper (drawing)

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 05:15:03 PM »
That ink is a perfect match.
In your hands, that pen becomes a wonderful tool.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 08:40:07 PM »
Wow! That’s beautiful! And I agree with Darrin - perfect match!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Tasmith

• View Profile
    • Todd A. Smith Photography, LLC
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 02:15:47 PM »
I was on the fence about buying a BlueDew flex pen.  After reading this thread, I will be ordering one today!
Todd

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 04:56:26 PM »
Hi Todd, nice to see you again!  I hope you like it!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram