Author Topic: Calligraphy auction  (Read 800 times)

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
Calligraphy auction
« on: May 04, 2022, 09:52:01 AM »
Not sure if this is allowed or the correct place for it, please move or delete as appropriate.

I just came across a temporary addition to the Yoke Pen Company website.
It appears that Christopher is getting rid of a bunch of stuff from his own collection. He has a page set up as an auction with some very cool stuff. He has also mentioned it on his IG.

https://www.yokepencompany.com/collections/auctions

Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Calligraphy auction
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 09:42:08 PM »
Not sure if this is allowed or the correct place for it, please move or delete as appropriate.

I just came across a temporary addition to the Yoke Pen Company website.
It appears that Christopher is getting rid of a bunch of stuff from his own collection. He has a page set up as an auction with some very cool stuff. He has also mentioned it on his IG.

https://www.yokepencompany.com/collections/auctions
Thanks for mentioning this. Chris is one of the finest people I've met along the penmanship journey.
Everything he makes or sells is of quality. Bring the big bucks if you want the 604 ef's.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 04:27:15 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 01:10:52 PM »
Whoa - the 604 EF’s! Are they worth it?  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 05:05:10 PM »
Whoa - the 604 EF’s! Are they worth it?  ;D
For most people, the answer is no.
At $1000 per box (current bid), there are less expensive vintage nibs that will produce excellent work. These nibs require a very light touch, which not everyone has.
For collectors, they might buy one or a few, but not a whole box (at least I know of no collector that buys each type of nib by the box just to have a box full). For users (vs. collectors), most will buy a few to try, but prefer the cost of good modern nibs if they are expecting to use many of them over a long period of time, or find the nib doesn't suit their touch.
One group that might buy them at this price or higher are dealers, who would break the box and try to sell them a few at a time, say at double the price, say $15 or even more, on eBay. That's a slow process. I've followed a couple of dealers over time that do this, and it's a long process.
There is one group that might also buy at this level and quantity--those that use this nib often as their main nib and plan to use it for the long term. I would be one of this group, although I don't know of anyone else specifically that uses this nib day in day out. Surely there must be a few. But take it from me, a great nib does not make a great penman. For someone to get the most out of the nib, it would probably require using a hundred or more to just to acquire the skill to use it to its potential.
It must be noted, though, these don't come up for sale by the box very often. So, if you're willing to make a big commitment to one nib, here's your chance.
Chris Yoke wrote an article some years ago about buying nibs, and he felt at the time no nib was worth more than $5. Perhaps that number has gone up with time, but the market will tell what the worth really is, at least to someone who buys it.

Update:  With 1 day, 18 hrs. to go, the bid is $1488--$10.33 per nib.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 05:14:28 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 11:54:59 PM »
Fascinating! Thank you @AnasaziWrites for that detailed explanation. I have a few boxes of some vintage nibs - Hunt 22, Hunt 56, and Esterbrook 356. You are right - you have to go through a few to get back up to speed on the nuances of the nib. I would rather not get invested in a nib that isn’t readily available. More often than not, I find myself going back to the trusty Zebra G anyway.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram