Author Topic: Paper geekiness - natural grain of paper  (Read 1266 times)

Offline bleair

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Paper geekiness - natural grain of paper
« on: March 31, 2018, 06:42:55 PM »
This youtube video is from a mathematician and talks about how paper has a natural "grain" or structure as a result of the paper maker process.

He mentions that calligraphers have told him they can feel this grain.  With laid paper you can feel the texture imparted by the screens, but I'm less certain about being able to feel this internal structure with hot-press paper, though that might be just because I'm a beginner.

Offline chisato

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Paper geekiness - natural grain of paper
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »
So interesting, thank you for sharing! I do a lot of model building with paper in my professional life, so I've definitely noticed this grain difference -- though I don't think I've ever been aware of it when doing calligraphy! Though the calligraphy paper he mentions (washi for Japanese traditional calligraphy) is very soft and delicate, so I'm sure one would notice the anisotropic quality if you used a loaded brush. I haven't done Japanese calligraphy since I was a child, but I remember accidentally tearing through the paper with my brush and these traumatizing tears would happen in all directions equally  ;)