Author Topic: INSPIRATION  (Read 4938 times)

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
INSPIRATION
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:12:05 AM »
Hello all!

I'm procrastinating about starting on some lettering work for today, and I've been thinking about calligraphy inspiration!  More interesting stuff than a stack of envelopes to address, black on white... ;)  So anyway, here are a few of the inspirations dancing in my head today:

1) I'm absolutely obsessed by the work of Italian calligrapher Barbara Calzolari.  Does anybody here know her personally?  I dropped her an email at her website, www.GentlePeople.it, just to tell her how much I admire her!  She has serious chops-- EVERYTHING she does, from very classic to-die-for Spencerian, to gestural, folded-pen sort of stuff...   Pure beauty.  Here's her flickr stream:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/8764890@N04/

2) Flipping through the pages of Molly Suber Thorpe's sweet "Modern Calligraphy".  So many adorable projects!  I love her TS Eliot "Coffee Spoons" written in the round, in coffee!  I think it was on her Instagram feed that I saw another quote she'd written in beet juice!  I'm going to try a little writing in masking fluid one of these days, like she's done on her place cards. Here's her website: http://www.plurabellecalligraphy.com/

3) Open Ink Stand's Schin Loong.  This girl is truly gifted with the pointed pen.  She's also an amazing fantasy artist.  Something else I really appreciate about her blog-- she can get a little saucy!   ;D  I can sometimes get a little bored by the sea of inspirational quotes that one sees when flipping through Calligraphy collections on pinterest, or blogs.  Schin mixes up love poetry with Led Zeppelin lyrics, and Shakespeare and Browning with something like this!!  I've re-pinned it to my own Tumblr blog.   ;)
http://joyfrenchblue.tumblr.com/

Ok, I'm getting to work now.  :-)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:42:58 AM by FrenchBlue Joy »

Offline HarvestC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: INSPIRATION
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:56:26 AM »
Hi Joy. Barbara has been a member of Iampeth for many years now and has taught at some of the annual conventions. She won't be attending this year but she will be teaching at the Dallas conference this summer. She has taught in the US and I'm sure she will be in the future. She is on Facebook and usually keeps her teaching information up to date there. Harvest

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »
Hi Harvest!

Thank you!  I'm following her, but haven't seen anything so far for classes.  I will keep my eyes peeled. 

Are you offering your Roundhand class again anytime soon?  I've been recommending it to everybody! 

Have a lovely week teaching the Sisters!

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
Thanks for asking about Harvest's classes, Joy. I'm hoping she does something a newbie like me can take! It's just killing me she's right down the road from me....

Ellen

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »
Ooh - such fun things to check out! Joy - your spencerian is GORGEOUS! Barbara is my new favorite calligrapher! I've been admiring coveting stalking her work on Pinterest.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:19:44 PM »
Joy and Erica,
I am obsessed with Barbara Calzolari too.  I took a Pointed Pen workshop with her this past July in North Carolina, and I learned so much from her.  I was able to spend a lot of time with her during a very early, private lesson before the second day of the workshop.  She is just amazing. She is such a passionate person and an excellent teacher.  She is a lot of fun to be around too.  She absolutely loves lettering, and is so inspiring.  It was a wonderful experience. 
And Schin, oh my.  I love her work as well.  So inspiring.  She is a sweetheart.  So kind and generous, always willing to help a fellow calligrapher.  Just like the both of you    :)

Love,
Roseann
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 10:54:57 PM »
Hi Joy,
I noticed on your twitter feed that you used watercolor ink for calligraphy.  It looks so pretty. 
Can you please tell me what brand of watercolor works best for calligraphy?  Is it in a tube, or is it a ink. 
Do you do anything to the watercolor to prep it before use? 

Love,
Roseann
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 01:20:24 AM »
Roseann, oh my GOSH!  Really?  How amazing.  I don't think I've ever stalked a flickr stream so hard as Barbara's!   ;D  Reminds me of when I just became aware of pointed pen, and I would look at Erica's website  20 times a day! 

As for my Instagram feed or FB (I'm not on twitter), I use all kinds of watercolor!  In the Autumn quote I'm using pan watercolors, by Sennelier.  That's a French brand.  I also use gouache, and last time I was in London I picked up a couple of bottles of Ph Martin's Radiant Concentrated Watercolor, which is thin like ink and comes in a bottle with a dropper.  That stuff is amazing!  The colors really fade, though.  Not for reproduction or archival work.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
Agh I had a heart attack to see my name there. So grateful and humbled :) And surprised that my blog is considered saucy, I try to keep that stuff under wraps...  :-*  :-* :-*
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »
LOL! Your work is so, so gorgeous! I could stare at it for hours! Oh, wait, I have!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 11:03:23 PM »
Hi Schin,
Its all true.  You are one of the first persons who answered me when I asked for help and advice and I really appreciate your generosity.  It helped me so much and in so many ways.  You really have a kind heart. 

Love,
Roseann
Roseann

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 10:43:44 AM »
Agh I had a heart attack to see my name there. So grateful and humbled :) And surprised that my blog is considered saucy, I try to keep that stuff under wraps...  :-*  :-* :-*

LOL Schin, your lettering is sooo good and your content is, too!  That post is old now, so I guess it's been pushed down in the Tumblr feed.  I was talking about your Nick Offerman quote.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Emily

• View Profile
    • Emily V Fitzpatrick Designs
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »
Thanks for the links to all the eye candy, Joy! There's been many a day I've managed to get lost in 'inspiration mode,' rather than actual practice...  :-\
instagram  •  website  •  facebook

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 11:06:06 AM »
Thanks for the links to all the eye candy, Joy! There's been many a day I've managed to get lost in 'inspiration mode,' rather than actual practice...  :-\

Oh yes, me too!  ;D