Author Topic: Bullock Holder vs. the Hourglass  (Read 10745 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Bullock Holder vs. the Hourglass
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:06:40 AM »
A few of you have noticed in some other of my posts a Bullock Oblique Penholder and wanted a closer look. Here it is, along with an Hourglass holder for comparison:

The Bullock Oblique Penholder, with the paper sleeve it came in:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 06:07:34 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
Re: Bullock Holder vs. the Hourglass
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »
That's so cool ;D thanks for posting these Mike! Do you mind showing a shot of from the front (like the last picture) without the nibs? It's curious to see how much different these two are from the ones made completely by hand (unfortunately, I cant get those kind's of precise bends by hand ::) ). I'd love to see some close up's of the flange without the nib if you dont mind at some point.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 01:51:34 PM »
That's so cool ;D thanks for posting these Mike! Do you mind showing a shot of from the front (like the last picture) without the nibs? It's curious to see how much different these two are from the ones made completely by hand (unfortunately, I cant get those kind's of precise bends by hand ::) ). I'd love to see some close up's of the flange without the nib if you dont mind at some point.
How's this:
The first picture is of the Bullock and Hourglass.
The next three are of just the Bullock.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »
Perfect, thanks! Man, those are some serious bends, obviously machine made. One last thing, how would you compare the metals on both (thickness, etc)?

I think it has to do with the fact that they're both machined and the bends are precise but when I hand make mine with thinner brass (similar to the one PIA uses) I can't get the friction grip in between the two plates and any super smooth nib such as the Principal wont stay locked all the way so I end up using slightly thicker metal but it does add more weight.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 03:07:05 PM »
Perfect, thanks! Man, those are some serious bends, obviously machine made. One last thing, how would you compare the metals on both (thickness, etc)?

I think it has to do with the fact that they're both machined and the bends are precise but when I hand make mine with thinner brass (similar to the one PIA uses) I can't get the friction grip in between the two plates and any super smooth nib such as the Principal wont stay locked all the way so I end up using slightly thicker metal but it does add more weight.
The Bullock does seem to grip a little tighter and the metal is thicker. I'm not sure that is the result of the metal being thicker or what. Perhaps there is a little dried ink in the Bullock that increases friction. Perhaps you could get more friction on the thinner metal if you roughed up the surface that meets the nib with a little medium or fine sandpaper. I'd experiment with different grades of sandpaper, starting with 100 grit and going up to maybe 220. Might work.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »
I'll definitely try that the next time I make some. I think if 28 gauge (.012") brass was easily available it would be a good middle ground between the readily available .010" used for standard flanges and the .016" I use for my Bullock ones. However, standard flange size seems to be about 1/2" wide and I've made a couple that are only 1cm wide to reduce weight and it seems to work just as well. I'll probably stick to the heavier metal and cut down the overall size, I'm attaching a picture to show what I mean. The top one is standard 1/2" side while the bottom is the smaller 1cm wide flange.

EDIT The caption on the top one should be 1/2 Inch :o
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:51:48 PM by Heebs »

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »
Sorry to go off-topic for a bit but I got my Hydra pen from Mr. Mendez today! Can't wait to get home...

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 05:37:53 PM »
Sorry to go off-topic for a bit but I got my Hydra pen from Mr. Mendez today! Can't wait to get home...

Haha, is it the classic or modern one?

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »
Classic like the one you photographed  :D

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »
You should like it  ;) I can write all day with it. Mine isn't a Hydra, just regular one, but I never use a straight holder so it's fine (although I'm guessing the Hydra is lighter since it's got some aluminum hollowed out). I was talking to him and he's working on some cool stuff. Luckily I'm finally at that point where I don't have to have every oblique I see haha, I've finally found ones that fit my hand perfectly, otherwise I'd be sending him my rent money :o

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »
I actually don't know which one I'm getting. I ordered a "classic" holder the 1st week of July, but he was so busy working, he kind of forgot about me until I reminded him last week  ::) I may be getting the same one as yours...

I'm still looking for the perfect pen holder. I have small hands, so most of the holders out there are too big, and if it's longer than 7", I feel like I'm going to poke myself in the eye ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 06:04:40 PM by Linda Y. »

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »
Yeah, he's mentioned he's been very busy at the lathe. His holders are quite popular 8) I cant wait till the nickel silver sheets I order come in this week so I can switch out the brass on the modern one and have an all silver metal holder.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »
What holder that you own would you say fits your hand the best?

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »
I really like the Ziller holder - it IS cheap, but the size is pefect & it's light & plastic. I had JNB fit one for EF66 and that's the one I've used consistently for almost 3 years. I also like the Blackwell plastic adjustable holder.

A "higher-end" one I really like was made by Mr. Michael Sull - I picked it up at one of his workshops I attended a few years ago. It was the smallest one there - I think it's barely 6" long.

He told me the wood it's made of, but of course I already forgot!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:52:03 PM by Linda Y. »

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 06:48:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Mike. That old catalogue is pretty cool too. We've gone so electronic it's nice to see these basic paper catalogues.