Author Topic: Eric Clapton to Layla  (Read 258 times)

Online Vintage_BE

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Eric Clapton to Layla
« on: February 28, 2024, 01:49:56 AM »
Pattie Boyd apparently is auctioning off a number of love letters that she received from Eric Clapton. Whether this is good taste or not would seem to be a debate beyond the scope of this Forum. However, I was struck by the consistency and elegance of Mr Clapton’s handwriting (which I had not seen before).  Were these letters actually written without guidelines?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Clapton to Layla
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 01:45:29 PM »
SQUEEEEE! Fascinating! I thought it in poor taste but Clapton has given his approval for her to auction the items. It’s a true love triangle. Boyd was married to George Harrison of the Beatles and Clapton was “dating” her sister. Pattie then divorced Harrison (for his multiple infidelities) in 1974, then married Clapton in 1979. All three stayed friends. Clapton wrote the songs “Layla” and “Wonderful Tonight” about her.

But I digress! What an artist’s soul he has. I would love to hear about how he developed his handwriting. It’s also interesting to see the differences from one letter to the next. Both were written in 1970, the second letter just a few months after the first.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram