Author Topic: How to Mix Gouache  (Read 65247 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Mix Gouache
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
LOL Christopher and Andy! Funny! But you know what -- I should do a quick video with all the calligraphy terms and their pronunciations. I pronounced Gillott with a French pronunciation (gee-loe) [not sure how to write that] for years before I met other calligraphers! I didn't realize it had such a harsh pronunciation (jill-ot). :o

;D 
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »
Brad, it depends upon the ink and the gouache. I purchased very inexpensive gouache at Walmart that seems to work quite well. But there are more expensive, higher quality ones as well. There are some expensive inks out there, too.

The difference is really in the texture and quality of either. So a gouache is opaque (you can't see through it), whereas with an ink, you typically can see shade. The gouache is thicker and smooth whereas an ink is typically thin. The colors of gouache are varied and can be mixed. Inks - not so much.

Hope that helps!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 01:45:58 PM »
The price is also dramatically affected by the pigment cost for gouache. Take Windsor & Newton for example, a very popular choice amoung calligraphers. A 14ml tube can run from approximately $5.00 to $20.00 depending on the color. Pigments like Cobalt are extremely more expensive than say Alizarin pigment.

I think another advantage of Gouache is the huge palette of colors you have to choose from and also the ability to mix those colors making the color choices limitless.
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
Wow, as much variation as that?  I just checked Blots and 14ml tubes here run from £4.00 for Prussian Blue to £6.50 for Cobalt Blue.  (Furthermore, the blacks and whites are also available in 37ml tubes at the attractive price of £7.99).  Oddly all the Schminke 20ml colours are £8.50.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 06:28:35 PM »
I'm a big gouache fan, too. Am not a fan of the bottled inks, with the exception of Sumi & walnut.

Here in the US, you can purchase W&N gouache tubes at Michael's Arts & Crafts, using their 40% off coupons  :D

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 12:09:56 AM »
Well I might just have to give it a try I have seen it at Walmart as well but it made me kind of nervous. But I'm glad you posted the video it makes me feel a little bit more comfortable with it.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 07:58:25 AM »
I bought two tubes on sale and now I love it and I have to buy more :< and it's all your fault!  ::) :D
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 02:01:08 PM »
LOL sisterofdream! I do that to people a lot!  ;D

Brad, give it a try! I was very intimidated by gouache for a very long time. And then when I tried it, I thought it was fun and I really like the texture/feel of writing with it.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 10:55:38 PM »
I will. Thanks Erica I always have to think of the work squash so i can pronounce gouache. And not goo-sha

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 04:17:05 AM »
Ok, I have a question. I have white gouache and Goldpearl, both from Schmincke, the special calligraphy gouache. The white I gave up, it's just blots and ugly and I can't make it work, but that's not so bad now that I have the Dr. Martin's Bleedproof which works just perfectly (thanks Schin! Another of your tips :)).

I really like the gold though, in principal, but I get so often 'dry' upstrokes – I mean, they are basically invisible. Does that mean I have to thin if even more? I think that it looses it's opacity then.

Has anyone else this problem?
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 12:49:42 PM »
Ok, I have a question. I have white gouache and Goldpearl, both from Schmincke, the special calligraphy gouache. The white I gave up, it's just blots and ugly and I can't make it work, but that's not so bad now that I have the Dr. Martin's Bleedproof which works just perfectly (thanks Schin! Another of your tips :)).

I really like the gold though, in principal, but I get so often 'dry' upstrokes – I mean, they are basically invisible. Does that mean I have to thin if even more? I think that it looses it's opacity then.

Has anyone else this problem?

Are you mixing it with any gum arabic?

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »
I think I tried all possible variations ... water, gum arabic, both … it's not that it doesn't work at all, it's just extremely slow and I have to retouch these upstrokes a lot. I was just curious if others had similar experiences ;). Thanks for answering!

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »
Gold gouache is so beautiful yet so tricky! For me, it depends on the nib/paper/climate. On certain days it works perfectly - but some days I want to throw my pen and ink out the window. I find that nibs that do not have super-thin hairlines work better for gold.

One trick I read in our calligraphy guild's newsletter (which I have yet to try, but will soon) is to add a tiny bit of regular gouache to help with the flow - so you can add a tiny bit of Venetian Red for a more reddish gold. If you try it, please let me know if it works! :)

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 03:36:24 PM »
Linda makes a great point, the nib makes a big difference. Something like the Nikko G plays a lot nicer than a 303 with gouache, at least for me.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »
Thanks Linda and Heebs! I used a vintage Brause Rose which is usually the most forgiving if nibs … maybe the point about climate is important – I was using it with more success last autumn when it was much more humid than now! Hm. I'll let you know if I find a way to make it behave better ;)!