Author Topic: Curv-E Holder - New Oblique Pen Holder  (Read 37160 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Curv-E Holder - New Oblique Pen Holder
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 01:59:06 PM »
Wow! Let me follow up in a bit. I am on my way out the door to a weekend wedding. Gorgeous holder.   :-*

@Edward Don't forget turquoise and lilac are my favorite colors. LOL.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Edward

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Curran Calligraphy
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2018, 02:43:53 PM »
Stunning pen! What kind of wood did you use, Edward?

Hi, That pen is English Yew wood, it's a thicker grip than normal!

Edward

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 03:52:16 PM »
Offer is still open.  :)

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2018, 03:32:30 PM »
Ooh, I would love to get involved in that giveaway!  *drool*

Offline ratna_89

• Freshman Member
  • Halo! from Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 09:12:01 AM »
hello guys, just wanted to share my experienced. I finally tried this oblique and since it arrives I honestly never use any other holder that I have. whenever I try to go back to the normal round one I immediately feel so much discomfort. it is an absolute must holder in my opinion, I can't wait to have another one in a different style because I love it too much! thank you so much, Erica and Edward, to make this holder happen.

So glad you like the design @ratna_89 , I don't use or make the round holders ( unless asked ) anymore as I find them so uncomfortable now. All the feedback from people who have tried the new design has been fantastic. Let me know by email if you see any pen you like on my page and I'll drop the price for you, or let me know if there is a design you like and I can make it for you!

I think we should have a pen give-away soon ah Erica?

Edward

yes, very gladly, I am thinking of purchasing more, Ill update you when time is right, right now I am caught up on a project with my husband for my small shop makin Calligraphy Metallics colors , thank you so much again for creating such masterpiece!

Offline kozibe

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »
I may just bite the bullet and get me one as a birthday present to myself.  ;)  Maybe this is the missing link in my holder/nib issues.  8)

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 12:11:44 PM »
Kozibe, I think it would be a marvelous birthday present to yourself! Edward's pens are not only beautiful, but so incredibly functional and comfortable to use. I love the flattened areas for my finger and thumb to rest, and with this design, I can write longer without hand stress. Here's a photo of the new one I just received from him a few days ago. It's olive wood and ebony. It is so nicely balanced, and just a delight to use, not to mention lovely to gaze upon. I hope you will give yourself that present -- I don't think you will be disappointed! Whichever colors and materials you choose to your liking, the bottom line is it will make writing more comfortable and delightful.

Offline kozibe

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 05:14:00 PM »
Thanks so much for posting @NevadaDeb Yours is beautiful! I love the black and wood combo, so classic.  Did you get a medium grip? I know I suffer from death grip so I am thinking that a thinker grip would be better for me.  I am leaning toward the Wild Olive and Red Resin one he has on Etsy. It looks like its the thickest and shortest out of the bunch.  The Snakewood and Ebony is gorgeous but so slim and over 10 inches long!  I cannot imagine writing with a pen that long.  LOL! But then again, I paint with long brushes so I am not sure why it is striking me as so weird.  HA!    So hard to decide!

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »
Thank you!  I hope you find JUST the pen you want. I like the very thin grips myself. Mine is a medium/small, and it’s not too thick for me. I have a Zanerian Fine Art pen holder that is very slender and I actually love the size. But I’m now very hooked on Edward’s ergonomic pen shapes, and find that they are narrow enough for my smaller hand. I LOVE the extra long ones, and hope to have one some day! They have nice balance to them. Edward’s slightly shorter ones work well, though as his finial is larger, and that lends itself nicely to a weighted balance at the other end. That balance also helps to keep my hand from getting overly tired overly quick! Whichever you choose, I know you will end up loving it. They are all finished so nicely, and Edward is just the most ethical, delightful and courteous person you could ever hope to meet. I’ve seen pens from others that are not nearly as nice or as varied as Edwards, but two or three times the price. I think Edward’s pens are very, very reasonable for all the work put into them. They are all labor intensive. I have my pens stored on a shelf next to my writing desk, and on a plexiglass horizontal jewelry holder — It holds them in a good position so the water doesn’t drain back down into the base of the pen. Pen collecting can get very addictive. And the worst part, is they are sort of like potato chips. You can’t have just ONE!!!  Get that pen for your birthday. You won’t be disappointed. Whichever one you like, it will become a treasured partner in your calligraphic journey.

Offline esmy77

• Part Time Unicorn chaser
    • View Profile
    • Wild Stawberry
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »
Wow this is so interesting, at the beginning of this year I took the Copperplate class with Paul Scribes and as you know he encourages the use of Straight pen holder for Copperplate and specifically for flourishing citing the problems you mentioned before with a regular oblique pen, but this new  oblique holder is the perfect solution for everything!
Esmeraldita • Part time Unicorn Chaser • Graphic Designer Hand Crafted style • Cake Designer • Chucky's mom (child's play doll) • Married to a Swede

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2018, 05:35:33 AM »
Although I am no calligrapher I can and will thoroughly endorse these beautiful pen holders.  Great ergonomic design and really high level of workmanship by Edward. 

I suspect that I will buy one in the not too distant future.  ;D

Offline kozibe

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2018, 10:22:44 AM »
Its funny that you mention about Paul and the straight holder @esmy77   I feel most comfortable using a straight holder, but when I am taking a lesson I was to adhere to the teachers recommendations as closely as I can and with a lot of copperplate lessons out there there recommend using an oblique.  So I am really trying to find an oblique that works for me so that I am as versatile as I can be.  I am hoping this one could be the one.   

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
Kozibe, think how flexible you are to be able to use both an oblique and straight holder! It’s sort of like being ambidextrous. I’ve used a straight holder for 40 years for broad pen calligraphy, but find my hand is too torqued to remain comfortable in a straight holder while doing copperplate style lettering. I wish I COULD use both, interchangeably! I do like the straight holder for some flourishing, though. I sure hope the Curv-E works for you. And, of course, I love it when calligraphers support other calligraphers who also are pensmiths. Good luck, Kobize!

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2020, 07:52:13 AM »
Though two years ago, I wonder if the Curv-E holder is the answer to the post I just put up asking folk's favourite oblique holder.  Erica, are you STILL enamored with this holder?  Yours is sure pretty.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2020, 08:00:29 AM »
Kozibe, I think it would be a marvelous birthday present to yourself! Edward's pens are not only beautiful, but so incredibly functional and comfortable to use. I love the flattened areas for my finger and thumb to rest, and with this design, I can write longer without hand stress. Here's a photo of the new one I just received from him a few days ago. It's olive wood and ebony. It is so nicely balanced, and just a delight to use, not to mention lovely to gaze upon. I hope you will give yourself that present -- I don't think you will be disappointed! Whichever colors and materials you choose to your liking, the bottom line is it will make writing more comfortable and delightful.

Excuse me while I uwww and ahhh.  This is a beautiful instrument.  Going to recheck out his site with renewed mental clarity.  :)
Cheerfully,
Lyric