Author Topic: Which Conference?  (Read 865 times)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Which Conference?
« on: July 16, 2014, 05:23:40 PM »
I've been engaged in a discussion with a Dallas-ite (someone who lives in Dallas) about a conference called "Legacies".  Here's a link:

http://www.calligraphyconference.com/

It's super expensive IMHO!  (She's going to take some of the workshops which are more reasonable than signing up for the whole thing.)  It's starts this weekend, so it's too late for me to go.  Has anyone ever been to Legacies?  The course descriptions look really interesting; in fact, some of them were more appealing to me than IAMPETH.  Has anyone been to BOTH of those conferences?  Can you tell me which you prefer or benefited the most from? 

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
Re: Which Conference?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:31:47 PM »
Legacies is not cheap :-\ But if you look at the faculty list, it's basically some of the "who's who" in the calligraphy field. The opportunity to spend 5 whole days with them is truly fantastic. Sheila and Julian Waters, omg!! In my dreams I will take a week-long class with both of them and absorb everything they say like a sponge.

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »
I'm glad you made this it's own thread, because I am curious. I did do a little further research though.

Legacies is about $500 more than IAMPETH if you include lodging in the cost of both. It seems they are set up very differently, so one would be a very different experience than the other. IAMPETH is set up with one day's class per teacher/course, plus some evening classes that look to be about 2 hours, for about 4 1/2 days of instruction time. Legacies is set up where you can spend a whole 5 days in one workshop. Or you can break it up and take two 2 1/2 day workshops. Plus additional breakouts (which are not included in the cost). IAMPETH has about 16 teachers and classes available as far as I could see. Legacies has 30+ from what I could tell.

I also get the feeling that Legacies is going for more of an 'experience'... maybe? I don't know. That's just what I could glean from looking at the websites.

I've never been to either, so I am curious what someone who has been to both would say.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:08:12 PM »
Here is the original announcement for Legacies. There has always been two conferences - one known as "the conference," now Legacies. The other - IAMPETH.

I have not been to either! The two times the conference was in Boston, I was having babies (literally). The time IAMPETH was in Orlando, my mother in law died so I had to cancel. However, I have lots of friends who attend and teach at both.

The chatter was the conference was at one time considered more "in depth." However, IAMPETH has grown so well over the years and their instructors are always top notch. So the main difference is really this - IAMPETH is pointed pen and Legacies is anything goes.

I looked at attending either or this year and IAMPETH appealed to me more. But I am almost strictly pointed pen now.

Linda, Sheila and Julian are coming to Orlando either this fall or next year. I can't remember which. I won't be attending, but I'll try to remember to let you know if there are still openings after the guild has signed up.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram