Author Topic: Contemporary/Modern Calligraphy How To Tutorial  (Read 115215 times)

Offline Hillary A.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Contemporary/Modern Calligraphy How To Tutorial
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »
Such fantastic examples!

Thank you Erica!

Offline astriddao

• Freshman Member
  • create to live. live to create
    • View Profile
    • natamoto
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 02:04:52 AM »
Hi Erica,

Thank you for sharing! It's very helpful especially for newbies like me  ::)

Offline Rilhawk

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Going onto Pinterest can be very overwhelming with all the beautiful modern calligraphy. I read somewhere to find a style you like and practice it to learn it. There are too many styles that I like.
I thought they were all different and individual styles with their own unique letter form. I understand now that all the styles I like are really just deviations from copperplate.
I was very overwhelmed with where to start but you made me realize that I should learn copperplate first then I can branch out into these other deviation styles.
Thank you so much. I was so confused but now I have a great starting point.

Offline suzietwig

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 11:52:36 PM »
These are SOOO helpful, Erica!! You've answered all of my questions about how to keep a rhythm and rhyme to breaking the traditional rules. Now I'm off to put that theory to practice! Thank you!!
cheers, suzie*
graphic designer, boss lady, aspiring calligraphiste, photog
twig & fig luxury invitations   |  instagram

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »
Erica, I love this so much!

I just had a major "Ah-HA" moment. It was YOU!!!!! These were the first hand outs I ever stumbled upon months ago when I was doing an online search of contemporary calligraphy tutorials. I printed them out and practiced with them over and over. I still reference them all the time and try to write words mimicing the variety of styles to get my creative juices flowing. I had no idea when I found the link that that was just the tip of the ice berg of a treasure trove of knowledge--after I printed out the handouts, I was like, Oh hey, COOL! and merrily went on my way, not even realizing what was at my fingertips if I would have taken the time to look around!!

In the beginning all I wanted to do was modern calligraphy. Now I feel like I'm back-pedaling to learn the basics to have a firm foundation and found this forum, not knowing it was the SECOND time I've been here, and signed up right away. I can't believe I've come full circle and it took me until this tutorial to realize it was THIS tutorial and YOU all along with me from the beginning of my calligraphy obsession.

*tears of joy.
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline Achaneystudio

• View Profile
    • www.achaneystudio.com
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 04:05:38 PM »
this is so helpful!

I've been practicing for years without any formal instruction and it's amaaaazing how helpful it is to see things that you've been grappling with unconsciously written out like this. THANK YOU!  :)

Offline kaseymcg

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »
LOVE LOVE LOVE! Thanks Erica!!!

Offline mamabear

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »
This is a perfect start for developing my own style! Thank you!!

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 11:23:37 AM »
Very nice, thank you!
Still digesting Molly Suber Thorpe's great book as well.
No time to rest!   Got to practice and practice some more!   :D

Offline rosana

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2015, 04:13:22 PM »
Thank you Erica for sharing this. I love it. It truly is amazing what you are doing.

Offline CHAKAMEDINA

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2015, 08:24:19 AM »
Erica you are the Queen of Calligraphy in my book. I know this thread is old but it's new to me. I am so happy I found this as I have been looking for examples of modern copperplate vs. traditional.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2015, 04:14:52 PM »
Aw - thanks so much for your very kind message.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 07:20:21 PM »
Hi Erica.
Can you clarify something for me. I am trying to decide on a style of handwriting to learn.  I have read a little about it and liked the copperplate but copperplate is not really a handwriting .  I have book by Gordon Turner which is titled "The Technique of Copperplate Calligraphy"  The opening sentence in the book says "This book is written to explain the technique of writing with the pointed pen in the Roundhand style" which he explains is an American version of the English Copperplate.  He says it is also called Spencarian or Engravers Script or Formal Script. The samples I have seen of Spencarian are a lot different.  However I really like the style in this book and that is what I am looking to learn.   
I have seen your lessons in what you call "Contemporary/Modern Calligraphy which appears to be the same.  Can you clarify whether Mr. Turner's writing is the same as shown in your lessons?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 11:58:25 PM »
This is an excellent question. There are a couple threads which talk about the whole "Spencerian" issue — that being some styles of what looks like copperplate being referred to as Spencerian.

In my mind, (and dare I say for the majority of Americans), Spencerian and Copperplate are very different. The full tutorials I have put together are what I call a "casual" version of Copperplate. Copperplate can be written many different ways but I felt this was a good introduction to those looking to get started learning a pointed pen style with minimal frustration. It is based on the Roundhand style as in Mr. Turner's book and Eleanor Winter's Mastering Copperplate.

The contemporary/modern calligraphy is altogether different which is a much looser hand that doesn't so much follow a traditional style but is personalized by the writer's style.

Spencerian is different and is actually based on a handwriting style and at its most flourished is considered Ornamental Penmanship.

I hope that helps a bit.  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2015, 12:43:35 AM »
Thanks for that prompt reply ( I realise a time difference with Australia).  I have completed lesson number 1 of your lessons but I am waiting on some brass to make myself an oblique pen holder.    So my practicising has just been done with a straight dip pen holder and it is quite hard as it catches on the paper all the time.  It will be much better with I complete my oblique holder. Again thanks for your help   :D :D :D :D