Author Topic: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 1  (Read 77988 times)

Offline Jenafer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 1
« Reply #420 on: April 02, 2018, 10:29:41 PM »
Hi Salman!

I started learning Copperplate Calligraphy about 2 months ago using Dr. Vitolo's iBook and video's and I learned a lot! But I really want to get the technique down and I thought I could you some of your constructive criticism. So here is my first post! I feel like I have really learned so much more already, great tutorial! I am using a Leonardt Principal nib with an oblique holder and higgins eternal ink.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #421 on: April 03, 2018, 11:24:14 AM »
@Jenafer

Welcome to the lessons Jenafer. Wow - what a start. You have a number of perfect executions of all of the letters spread around your work sheet. This is a promising start indeed.

The major factor that lets you down in this exercise is the lack of consistency. While you have the ability to execute all the letters very well, there is no guarantee when that will occur. Your consistency improves towards the end of the page so I will focus my feedback on what I see there.

Here are some observations:

1. You have good control of the 'i'. However, there is a tendency to start tapering the stroke (i.e. lift the pressure) as soon as the stroke starts. This results in a wedge shaped shaded stroke - see the 'i' in the second 'jilt' on the second last line.

2. The slant tends to 'stand up'. Since this appears as a general case, I believe turning your paper until the slant guides are more or less in line with the slit in your nib will help.

3. The 'j' goes only halfway into the second descender space. Yours are too long. Also, the shade should taper to a hairline by the 1st descender line - the rest of the stroke down and around is drawn as a hairline.

4. The exit hairline from the 'blob' of the 'b' should be 'on the rise' when it meets the following letter. It is ok if this occurs near the top of the stroke.

I am most impressed with the consistency of the spacing on the last line. This is good work and I will be looking forward to the next one.

Regards,
Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Jenafer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #422 on: April 03, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »
Hi Salman

Thank you so much for your comments! I will come back with another soon!

Offline Jenafer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #423 on: April 05, 2018, 07:01:57 PM »
Hi Salman

Please see post 2.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #424 on: April 06, 2018, 01:06:32 PM »
@Jenafer

Hmmm - the flow that I liked so much in the first exercise is missing in this one. This is natural though as one's hand stiffens up when paying attention to the letter shapes. I will be looking forward to it's return :-)

Try to relax your hand as you draw the letters. It is o.k. if things go awry - we are not machines. A relaxed hand shows in your work and is much more attractive than mechanical precision.

You have some very nice 'i' strokes in this exercise e.g. the first 'w' on line 1. All the other 'w's are different though. Are you practicing the individual letters in groups of 5? Move to writing the words only after you can regularly get 3 good ones out of a group of 5.

The shade of the 'j' stroke should taper to a hairline by the 1st descender line. The rest of the stroke down and back up is drawn as a hairline.

- Salman

Offline Jenafer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #425 on: April 06, 2018, 07:51:25 PM »
Hi Salman

I took your suggestions and I hope I applied them here. I think relaxing is the most difficult one for me some days but I'm working on it! I have included some of my drills and the words. I hope I did a little better this time :)

Offline Troy Mayfield

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 08, 2018, 06:34:40 PM »
First try - trying to figure out photo editing software as well.
Zebra G, homebrew ink and copy paper from work of pretty light weight.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:39:10 PM by Troy Mayfield »

Offline Troy Mayfield

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 08, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »
Again

Offline GretchenC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 08, 2018, 08:14:25 PM »
@Salman Khattak ,

Your "i" video is fantastic, thank you!!    I have been continuing to work, but nothing yet to post.   Life's been a bit crazy the past few weeks.  Hopefully this week I'll have something ready.   

I can now start to feel the difference in my grip, posture, etc when things look good, and when they don't.  I've been trying to pay attention to the small details of "how am I sitting," "how far is the paper from me," "how tightly am I gripping the pen" to develop more consistency.   I find making letters far more easy when I can keep my grip on the pen to an absolute minimum of pressure.   Not in how hard I press down on the pen, but rather, how tightly especially my thumb is on the holder itself.  :)

Offline Troy Mayfield

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 08, 2018, 08:17:28 PM »
Maybe a little more time taken here and perhaps a little better light.

I see that I am taking my hairlines back too high on these.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:23:41 PM by Troy Mayfield »

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #430 on: April 09, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »
@Jenafer

Yes - the flow is back and it looks good.

The second 'j' in the first group of 5 and the first one in the second group have nice counter shapes for the loop. See how the widest part of the counter (the inside shape) is around the 1st descender line and the hairline flattens as it approaches the base line. This is what you are looking for.

The slant needs a bit more consistency but you are getting there.

The exit from the 'w' and the 'b' should be more rounded. It is o.k. that it meets the following letter close to the waist line.

It seems to me like you are using a fairly stiff nib that requires quite a bit of pressure. Force is the enemy of control. Have you tried softer nibs?

Keep at it - you are on the right track.

- Salman

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #431 on: April 09, 2018, 12:08:23 PM »
@Troy Mayfield

Welcome to the lessons Troy. It is good to have you join us.

You are right - the hairlines do go up too high but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Often you will find the last exit hairline to go even above the waist line in old works. In fact it might help space the next shade as long as it doesn't show up as a separate stroke at the waist line i.e. the top part of the exit hairline above 1/2 x-height should be a part of the following shaded stroke.

In your groups of 5 practice, focus on finding the good ones, not the bad ones. The idea is to train the eye to look for what is good and then try and replicate that 5 more times. The first 'i' in the second group is the best you have in your last exercise.

For your next practice session, limit yourself to 'i', 'u' and 'w'. The rest will fall into place easier when you have good command of these. Of course feel free to play with the whole alphabet in your 'play time'.

Regards,
Salman

Offline Troy Mayfield

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 09, 2018, 12:41:56 PM »
Thanks Salman! crawl before sprinting I guess.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:15:03 PM by Troy Mayfield »

Offline Jenafer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #433 on: April 10, 2018, 09:18:41 AM »
Hi Salman,

Thank you for your comments. I am using a Leonardt Principal nib I think thats a pretty flexible nib? I think the problem is me and not the nib, lol. I think I put more pressure on myself when doing these exercise because I know they're being critiqued as opposed to other projects I work on. I will try to work on that.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #434 on: April 10, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »
Hi Salman,

Thank you for your comments. I am using a Leonardt Principal nib I think thats a pretty flexible nib? I think the problem is me and not the nib, lol. I think I put more pressure on myself when doing these exercise because I know they're being critiqued as opposed to other projects I work on. I will try to work on that.

I understand that. You don't need to put yourself under undue stress though. It is almost impossible not to improve with regular practice so as long as you continue with your practice you can take it as far as you want to go. Regularity is more important than anything else. We are not in a hurry - enjoy the journey.

- Salman