Author Topic: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 4  (Read 29826 times)

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 4
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »
@neriah

Very nicely done Katja. Did you find writing the sentence more challenging than words? (It doesn't look like it :-) I love the finished piece in gouache.

Now, only because I know you are quite capable of it, I would like to see one more attempt at it with the following in mind:

- Consistency of size: See the bowl of the first 'b' - now compare it to the 'o' in 'not'. See the difference in size?

- Consistency of spacing: compare the spacing in 'be' and 'not', in 'only' and 'still'. If you cut and paste these words next to each other, do they still look like they are from the same composition?

The topic of composition is beyond the scope of this tutorial but some of the basics are simple enough. What do you say - care for another try?

Salman

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline neriah

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2018, 01:04:22 PM »
@Salman Khattak

Thank you Salman!

It didn’t feel like it is more challenging but I do find it hard to keep it consistent. With words it is easier because I do a few attempts and it is usually enough for me to understand how it should be spaced. With sentence it didn’t work that way because even if I work on a single word and can do it properly it isn’t reflected when writing it out in a sentence because there is so much going on before and after it. For example, “only” was my biggest issue here and even though I could write it as a word it rarely comes out good in a sentence. If that one is good, something else ends up wrong.

I agree with your remarks, this is something I tried to work on multiple times but I feel like one imperfect stroke is enough to throw everything of the balance. To be honest, I got frustrated with it many times in the past when trying to do finished pieces as gifts for friends and family.

Always ready for the next try :)

It may take me a bit longer, I’ll try not to hurry and address all inconsistencies.

Katja

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2018, 01:12:19 PM »
@neriah

Don't write words, just a series of strokes that make up letters. You will make a lot of spelling mistakes this way but the consistency will improve on all fronts.

One of the main reasons for breaking up my lessons into strokes is to develop this way of looking at script. It is inevitable for our minds to wander but we should try to focus most of the attention on the strokes and not think of writing as letters or words - it sounds strange but it works. In time, this will become second nature.

S.

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2018, 03:28:39 AM »
@Salman Khattak

Hi Salman

Hope you are well.  Sorry it's taken so long to post.

I have attached my latest practice and look forward to your feedback.

Diane

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »
@Diane Bennett

Diane - your script is pretty much there. Only a few refinements here and there and you are all set to produce a good level of Copperplate.

Firstly, I think you should rotate the paper counter clockwise (yes even more!) - the longer strokes seem to be fighting to stand up causing a bit of tension in the execution. I get a sense of it in this example.

The shade of the 'o' starts too early - just an eighth of the x-height lower would be lovely.

The rounded tops of the 'f' should be a bit pointier - this will cause the widest part to be around the 1st ascender line and the entry back to the main stroke would be flatter.

The upside down 'c' in 'x' is much better executed than the one in 's'. This is often the case but is easy enough to fix as you know you can draw the stroke now :-)

Let's give it another go.

- Salman

Offline neriah

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2018, 10:53:11 AM »
Hi @Salman Khattak,

Thinking about strokes instead of letters did indeed help. However, I still find it impossible to write this sentence without mistakes. I am attaching my favourite attempt. I think it looks okay as a piece if you don't stare at every letter individually :)

Looking forward to your feedback!

Katja

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »
@neriah

This is good work Katja. The goal is never to write with mechanical precision but to produce beautifully balanced lines of text. You have done that here.  I really like how you have maintained the light weight of the shaded stroke and avoided any hot spots due to tight spacing or heavier pressure.

There is no excuse for the crossbar of that last 't' to go downhill like that but we'll ignore that for now :-)

Congratulations. You have completed the minuscules lessons in Copperplate. I can see that you now have the ability to judge spacing and letter shapes well. I trust the skills you now possess will serve you well as you explore other styles of writing Copperplate and perhaps Engrosser's Script.

Please  feel free to ask any questions you might have in the thread I have created for this purpose.

Stay in touch.

- Salman

Offline neriah

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2018, 11:16:17 AM »
@Salman Khattak thank you so much for helping me get there, I would never be able to do this on my own!

I somehow missed that crossbar on 't'. If something like that happens to me on a better quality paper I carefully scrape it off with a scalpel and do a proper one :)

I have many ideas for finished pieces and want to learn even more about both, Copperplate and Engrosser's. Will definitely post in the general feedback thread.

Thank you!

Katja

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2018, 03:31:32 PM »
@Salman Khattak

Hello Salman

For the first time in years we have had glorious weather in the U.K. It doesn't happen often so have to make the most of it, hence the lack of posts.

Back to reality now with rain so getting much more practice done. 

From your previous feedback I had notice that something was wrong with the O but couldn't see it until you pointed it out so have worked on that.  Tried to make the F more pointed, still needs work I think. 

As for the backward C well the less said the better, but I am studying this and will get it.

Hope all is well and you are having a good summer.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards

Diane

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2018, 04:29:44 PM »
@Salman Khattak

Hi Salman you seem to have missed my post.

Diane

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2018, 04:57:40 PM »
@Diane Bennett

So sorry Diane. I believe I did write a reply but must have forgotten to press 'send'. I am sorry for missing that.

Your script is almost there but needs just a few minor adjustments.

- The loop of the 'f' has it's belly way too low. It should be widest around the 1st ascender line. This is quite like the descender of a 'y' being widest at the 1st descender. The difference is that it joins back below the waist line where a descender joins closer to the base line.

- The 's' needs more work. The upside down 'c' in the second one is a bit better but could be improved. Also, the exit hairline from the 's' should not move so far to the right along the baseline. Do you see it cramping up the 'k' in 'risk' and impaling the 't' in 'stork'?

- Take the exit hairline of the 'c' up in one stroke to where it needs to join. In the 'craze' it should have gone all the way up to the waist line. You can always come back to do the top part later.

- Are you stopping at the base line? The exit of the 'r's seem to run away a little bit - this is most likely due to the speed at which you turn at he base line. Stop there, lift your pen up a tiny bit and the draw the exit hairline.

Let's see another attempt at these words.

- Salman

-

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2018, 11:05:26 AM »
@Salman Khattak

Hi Salman,  I hope you are well.  It's been a while since I last posted.  Frustration got the better of me and after a few snapped pens and a couple of tantrums, I decided it best to put my remaining pens away for a while.

I started to practice again a couple of weeks ago, and I now feel I have something to post.

I'm still not happy with the S and F, but I feel they are better than I have been doing so hope you can give me a few pointer as to what I can do to improve them.

I look forward to your critique.

Regards

Diane

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »
@Diane Bennett

Hi Diane - it is so good to see you back here. I was wondering if you had had enough of Copperplate.

It is awesome to see your first post after the break showing a significant improvement over the last one. Your 'f' is pretty much on target. The 's' is almost there too - it is well balanced except for the part that meets the base line. Let the stroke move a little bit more to the left before touching the baseline  (without changing the rest of it) and it will be much better balanced. You have done that in the 's' in 'stork' beautifully - it is o.k. to overshoot it a few times before you get the balance right. We are not supposed to get it right every time so give yourself permission to not be perfect :-)

The shoulder of the 'r' could be a bit softer - there is a version of this 'r' with a pointed shoulder used in Engrosser's script but I feel like a slightly rounded shoulder works better for the slightly less strict version we are using here.

Your 'o's could be a bit thinner too - the one in 'fox' is a good example. It will make the 'a' a bit thinner too making it work better IMO. For example, the 'a' and the 'e' in 'craze' should be a bit closer in widths - the 'c' and the 'a' are bit too wide, the 'e' is good.

I will be looking forward to the next one.

- Salman

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2019, 12:34:02 PM »
@Salman Khattak

Hello Salman,

Thank you for your previous feedback, it was very encouraging for me as I felt I had made little progress.

I have been working mainly on the S and R as per your feedback.  I made the adjustments you suggested, but I found I was reverting back to the "hard shoulder" on the R.  The S I think I have managed.

One thing I have noted after posting is I am off slant quite a bit, which I will rectify.

I look forward to your views.

Kind regards

Diane

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2019, 03:29:39 PM »
@Diane Bennett

Very nicely done Diane. The 'r' is much improved - the one in 'risk' looks great. There is a tendency to make the second stroke slant a bit more so watch out for that (also on the second stroke of the 'k'). I am happy with the 's' too.

Let's move on to the sentence. Remember, you are planning the whole layout now so consistent spacing between the words also becomes important. Have fun with it - feel free to come up with a creative layout if you feel like it.

- Salman